Sign in to follow this  
Gavin317

Considering Supplemental FUE

Gentlemen (and, I presume, some ladies),

Let me start by saying thank you to all the major contributors to this forum. It is a fantastic resource for anyone considering SMP and ultimately, it was the information I gathered here that gave me the courage to get the treatment and, in turn, regain the confidence that MPB had stolen from me. It really is a tremendous service you provide.

Anyway, a bit of background.

As noted, I have received the treatment about a year ago and am exceedingly happy with it. With the help of Finasteride, I have managed to arrest my hair loss somewhere between a Norwood 3-4 and currently shave every day with a Philips rotary shaver. I am satisfied how I look that provides.  With one exception. After shaving my head pre-treatment, I discovered I had some red hyperpigmentation on my scalp that I hadn’t previously been aware of, most probably from a burn I received a few years ago. Aside from the obvious aesthetic drawbacks, this scarring detracts from the treatment insofar as it calls into question why, when these imperfections exist, I would shave my hair so short in the first place. After a couple days of growth, the hyperpigmentation is basically invisible however, by that stage, the disparity between the ink and the hair is obvious. I think you see my problem.

Having seen a couple of instances of SMP being combined with FUE to great success (at least as far as the photos would suggest), I am intrigued. Ultimately, the goal would be a zero guard buzzcut which I would maintain daily.

A few questions;

1.       How feasible is this? Are there any issues I’m not considering?

2.       Given that I already have SMP, what kind of graft density would I be able to get away with? 50%? To reiterate, I would like to maintain short hair and really, just want enough around the hairline to add the 3D effect and enable me to wear a millimetre or two longer.

3.       Below are a couple of photos of where I am at, taken in the harshest light possible. This is with a couple days growth to show both the difference between my remaining hair and the ink and the overall length I would like to achieve. With the density in mind, how many grafts do you think I would require?

4.       I have good donor area. Would having my hair this short cause visible scars?

5.       Are there any practitioners either in Britain or Ireland who have achieved good results with FUE/SMP combo? Price, while not inconsequential, is not something I’d scrimp on for something like this.

Obviously I recognise this is no substitute for a proper consultation but with the level of knowledge I’ve seen on here, I just thought I’d dip my toe in the water so to speak. A lengthy post, I know and thanks a million to anyone whose read through it and even more to those who offer any input.

Cheers,

Gav

hair 3.jpg

hair 2.jpg

hair 1.jpg

You are not a numer 4 at all, how old are you and when did you start fina ? fina can comes nasty sides.

minox could help you regrow some hairs on the thining part, but i think smp and minoxidil is not good together right

3 hours ago, Vinc2097 said:

You are not a numer 4 at all, how old are you and when did you start fina ? fina can comes nasty sides.

minox could help you regrow some hairs on the thining part, but i think smp and minoxidil is not good together right

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, the assessment of Norwood 3-4 came from a HIS competitor and indeed, this (I think excessive) estimation was one of the factors that lead me to looking elsewhere.

I am 32 years old and have been on finasteride for 8 years. I count myself very lucky that I have experienced no further hair loss during this time nor have I experienced any side effects.

When I first started to lose my hair, minox was the first port of call but unfortunately, I didn't see any benefits. Now, having had SMP done, minox is kind of off the table as the alcohol in it will fade the treatment prematurely. Nevertheless, I think the success I've had with finasteride alongside my strong donor area (and I hope, my realisitic expectations) would make me a good candidate for FUE.

Thanks again!