Sign in to follow this  
gm68

Sunblock / sunscreen

On an unusably miserable 'spring' Friday afternoon, and in the hope of better to come over the next few months, I've been starting to think about sun protection.

There are many forum posts on this topic, but I'm struggling to find one that adequately (for me) answers the question "which one".

I've just taken a bit of time to look at four different sunscreens that we have here, and the ingredients list for every one of them appears to be the definitive who's-who of alcohols :angry:

So just wondering what sunscreen everyone is using on their SMP heads? There are threads on the forum about matt sunscreens, but I'm not so concerned with shine until I find something that isn't going to damage my SMP.

Durng my second session Ian told me that factor 30 was fine for sun even in hot countries, and that it's fine to get a tan (I need one since my 'hairline' is a slightly different colour due to being slighlty lower than my pale white previously-concealered scalp).

I emailed HIS asking what sunscreen they recommend, but didn't get an answer to that question :rolleyes:

This is why I think it's a good idea to delay a third session until autumn if possible, while I explore this stuff over the summer.

EDIT: Sorry should have said with a strong preference for products easily available on our side of the pond :)

Hi gm68-How did the transition from concealered scalp to SMP go?  I'm using Couvre and Toppick on my scalp and it hasn't seen the sun for a decade.  Did you tan your head prior to SMP?  No one sees me without concealer so I don't really want to walk around bald to tan my scalp.

Body shop aloe vera spf 15, which I usually buy three for two which makes it not so costly. Odourless and in a small pocket friendly tube, I put an inch on in the morning and again in the afternoon, gives an adequate protection up at this latitude. I think you probably perspire it out in an hour or two so... the alcohol content in sunscreen is mostly for adhesion of the components and not high proof wino stuff. On holibubs I use standard sunscreen. (The three tubes usually is enough for ahem 'summer' and I think works out about a tenner).

19 hours ago, noircat23 said:

Hi gm68-How did the transition from concealered scalp to SMP go?  I'm using Couvre and Toppick on my scalp and it hasn't seen the sun for a decade.  Did you tan your head prior to SMP?  No one sees me without concealer so I don't really want to walk around bald to tan my scalp.

Fantastic, haven't looked back. Sounds like you are in a very similar situ to me, my scalp hasn't seen the sun in a decade either! I couldn't expose it before having SMP since my "it was thinning so I shaved it" story would have been shot to pieces. So now I have a slightly more pale scalp compared to my face. It's not bad though and hopefully some controlled exposure to sun over the summer will even it out.

18 hours ago, SHVD said:

Body shop aloe vera spf 15, which I usually buy three for two which makes it not so costly. Odourless and in a small pocket friendly tube, I put an inch on in the morning and again in the afternoon, gives an adequate protection up at this latitude. I think you probably perspire it out in an hour or two so... the alcohol content in sunscreen is mostly for adhesion of the components and not high proof wino stuff. On holibubs I use standard sunscreen. (The three tubes usually is enough for ahem 'summer' and I think works out about a tenner).

Thanks SHVD, only thing I've heard re aloe vera products was when we were in the Caribbean. Local sellers were selling them but the advice to tourists was a definite "Don't bother - you'll fry". As you say though this might be fine at our latitude and with our 'summer' weather.

However we're off to Spain in late June, exactly when the sun will be at its strongest. So may need something better. I'm reluctant to use any of the brands that we already own due to alcohol content.......

I wouldn’t obsess with the alcohol thing... small amounts in moisturiser etc won’t affect SMP 

I use Piz Buin dry touch factor 30 when knocking about, but on holiday I just use whatever my missus packs lol. Last year it was some clear Nivea spray, which was a bit greasy 

i exposed my scalp to quite a bit of sun last year, 2 holidays aboard & long walks every other day and suffered zero fading 

Hope you're right. All of the products mentioned above, as well as the others I've looked at, are full of alcohols and other chemicals. Including the body shop one that claims " No added fragrance, colour or alcohol " but you have to click "All ingredients" after which the same list of chemicals is revealed :angry:

Well after some more research I just ordered the following from Escentual:

image.png.8be1795cc71378b149407013877b0d4b.png

The Vichy Capital Soleil product seem to be the one that is "alcohol-free"; the Ideal Soleil equivalent contains Alcohol Denat according to the Vichy website.

The Avene products look interesting too and are also free of ethanol and Alcohol Denat.

As indicated above, all sunscreens seem to contain ingredients that are some sort of alcohols, but the concensus on the forum seems to be that these are less damaging and are further down the list of ingredients, so the risk to SMP should be very low (much lower than not using sunscreen at all).

I wanted a mix of SPF 30 and 50 since I want to slowly tan my white scalp in a controlled manner..... :)

Will try these over the summer and see how I get on.

Sold a pup :(

Vichy Capital Soleil is a no-go, contains alcohol denat. That's what I get for taking info from their US website.... shame since it is the largest tube and cost much the same as the other products.

At least some Vichy Ideal Soleil products also seem to have alcohol denat, so I think unless I can hold the product in my hand prior to purchase, I'll give Vichy products a miss.

The Avene SPF30 seems fine though, anythng ending in -ol is well down the list of ingredients. The Avene SPF50 is on back order but will hopefully be similar.

Looks like a warm sunny Easter coming up, first chance to try these possibly ;)

Just back from 2 weeks in Valencia and the beautiful Costa Blanca. I used the Avene products exclusively on my head, starting with the SPF50 (and even then putting on a baseball hat when I thought I'd had enough exposure). However it soon became clear the the hat wasn't needed and in fact the SPF50 was overkill (I do recall Ian telling me he used SPF30 in Dubai). So for the last week or so I used just SPF30 and no hats, and even then I've come home with only a little colour on my head. Good result I think.

I've had 2 sessions done as well recently. And as I've been trying to go the organic route before the SMP I've bought this to use along with a hat where possible (recent sunny UK weather) https://www.greenpeople.co.uk/facial-sun-cream-spf30-50ml.

They also do another day cream sp15 which I'll most likely purchase https://www.greenpeople.co.uk/day-solution-spf15-moisturiser-50ml

Well perhaps not such as good a result as I thought. I noticed really bad shine shortly after returning from holiday and things are only getting more or less back to where they were now (over a month after returning). Not sure if this was caused by the sunblock????

Anyway it was bad enough that I don't want it to happen again.

I also think my SMP may have faded a bit. Again not sure if that was the sun, sunblock, or neither. Session 3 next month so will get it sorted. Although I have another sunshine holiday coming up at the end of November and I now might be back to square one re sunscreen :angry:

Following session 3 the shine seems to have receded further and seems to be quite close to where I was before my holiday in the summer - even immediately after washing my head. Just back from Austria where we had summer-like temperatures and sunshine - but being unable to use sunblock so soon after my 3rd session I just wore a baseball hat. Off for a week in the Canaries at the end of November and may just do same. Although it's possible I could be tempted to experiment with an alternative sunblock or two, not sure yet.... it's not so much for walking about in the sun, it's more for swimming - where a hat is inconvenient/impractical.....

Try this GM68... I used it in Greece this year... it doesn’t dull shine, but it’s really dry-touch on the skin 

like I’ve said before, only thing to dull shine is PTR or to some extent MoM

5FA4988C-6E41-4993-80D1-6A159E27A02A.jpeg

Thanks baldy-locks, will have a look at that one too. By the way the shine wasn't the only undesirable outcome following my summer holiday, I believe there was a bit of fading too. The third session has rectified that so I won't want it to happen again :)