gm68

Light brown hair and unevenly greying

Will get some up, may be a bit of a delay though, off on my travels again tomorrow - going off radar for another bit.

Also my head is still patchy reddish and the new treatment is still quite dark. The pics will look better once it settles - for my first two sessions that was at about 5 days.

Here are some photos post session 3. Taken today, so 12 days after the session. And more or less straight after a foil shave and shower (in that order).

I took these in same bathroom lighting as before, although they seem to have come out a bit darker (not especially easy, this taking good photos of your own head business). I think this is my least favourite lighting - to me SMP has always looked better outside (but I wanted to show the less flattering lighting condition, and anyway it's raining today ;)).

IMG_3755_copy_f.jpg

IMG_3756_copy_f.jpg

IMG_3757_copy_f.jpg

IMG_3759_copy_f.jpg

Yea really pleased, as you say blend is much better and shine level seems to be similar to post 2nd session now. Will see how it goes over the next few months then make a call on what to do. There are a couple of minor tweaks I might still like to do, so I'll probably end up doing the 4th session (especially since it's free), but will leave it until new year.

Well it's lightened some more and is once again slightly too light to my eyes under bathroom lighting :blink:

Still some shine issues too.

All being managed.

Although I've not found a permanent routine yet, still experimenting. I like the wet shave but it leaves a bad shine. Foil shave much less so but I think my Braun Series 3 is starting to struggle after 8 months.....

Shine on my head is no different whether I wet or rotary shave. PTR is great when first applied but does where off within a few hours... 2 years on, I’m still using it daily as I’ve yet to fine a better solution 

The question is, are you glad you did it? And is the maintenance ( daily shave, anti shine ) worth it and less hassle than fibers ? Currently I sprinkle about 10p of fibers on in the morning and a scoot of cheap hairspray and can then cycle to work ( rain and sweat ) and still pull off ( I think) a Norwood 3 on a Norwood 5 head. Would the extra hassle of SMP be worth it ?

My opinion on smp is (and I’ve had it for around 2 years now) 

it’s less hassle for me just shaving everyday than styling my hair to cover my receding parts (Nw 3 high hairline, no hair loss on crown area). But the killer for me is shine! Something that never entered my head. Yes there  are products to reduce it, but these don’t last all day. I’ve never been able to accept it and just get on with it. (Wish I could, then smp for me would be 💯) 

I think the problem for me, stems from looking in the mirror before smp, at a “full head of hair” to full shaved off shiny head.. it’s hard to get used to, where as if someone is already bald or wet shaving their head... they are already used to the look...

First thing, yes, I'm 100% glad I did it, just as much as I was at the start. The minor inconveniences of daily shaving and shine management are not really significant compared to the benefit of having a 'hairline'. Mind you, after the pain of the concealer routine anything would be an improvement :)

Must say I haven't had an issue with the shaved look. I admit I was reluctant to shave to the bone at first, but I genuinely really like it and was actually quite surprised how much and how quickly I liked it given that it was probably my biggest concern prior to having the SMP.

Shaving takes 10-15 minutes for my beard and probably another 5-10 minutes for my head, using a Braun Series 3 foil shaver. But I'm a bit picky and like it done right - if I was less fussy I could probably do it a bit more quickly. But would be interested in any good alternatives to reduce this time.

I'm going to be honest and say the shine has been more of a concern to me. I am currently managing this by quickly rinsing my head before foil shaving, and after shaving just wiping it with a dryish towel. This seems to keep it pretty much under control without having to use any mattifying products, on a regular basis at least (may use some PTR for special occasions :)). I've abandoned wet shaving for now since this seems to leave my head really shiny and it takes a few days to get back to normal.

My SMP looks best under natural light in my opinion, however it still looks a bit too light under some indoor lighting conditions. I'll probably plan to go back to HIS for my free top up session around February.

I'm off on another week's sunshine holiday at the end of the month and still haven't decided what to do about sun protection. I'm convinced that the last sunscreen I used contributed to the increase in shine that has never gone totally back to where it was previously. May just wear a baseball hat although I'd like to try a different brand of sunscreen and see if there is any difference. Also the top of my head is still a little whiter than my forehead, hence a just about visible 'line' where the SMP is a bit lower than where the concealers were.

Just to add, last weekend I was chatting to a friend who is some years younger than me and almost completely bald (he keeps his remaining hair very short and sometimes shaves it). After a few minutes the discussion somehow got onto hair and he went into a bit of a rant as to why I shaved my head when clearly I had enough hair to grow it out. I tried to convince him that it really was thinning and also greying, and that shaving it 'cured' both issues. He seemed unconvinced :).

That's why I'm glad I had SMP (not to 'fool' people - whatever that means - but to maintain the confidence I had when I had hair and even when using concealers at the start).

That’s the question I’ve been asked the most “why do you shave your hair off, when you’ve got a full head” 

I respond with, grey curly hair isn’t for me 😆 

that also brings me on to shine... In my head, I’m like, why would you want a bald shiny head when you appear to have a good head of hair !

wet shave, rotary or foil my head still shines like a mirror, so I have to use PTR everyday!!

Looks fantastic.It looks just like real hair. Congrats!

I myself went to Birmingham about two months ago and had the female practitioner help me sort out the smp work that I had in Toronto which was unfinished.

Mine looks very compatible to yours as the practitioner at His Birmingham is very talented and laid in the correct density with a suitable shade to eliminate the patchiness that I had.

I now have peace of mind and can look in the mirror with pride.

I will only get my work done in Birmingham at HIS when a touch up is needed in the future and I highly recommend this place to anyone that is suffering with hair loss. Cheers!.

On 15/11/2019 at 9:27 PM, JCVD said:

Looks fantastic.It looks just like real hair. Congrats!

I myself went to Birmingham about two months ago and had the female practitioner help me sort out the smp work that I had in Toronto which was unfinished.

Mine looks very compatible to yours as the practitioner at His Birmingham is very talented and laid in the correct density with a suitable shade to eliminate the patchiness that I had.

I now have peace of mind and can look in the mirror with pride.

I will only get my work done in Birmingham at HIS when a touch up is needed in the future and I highly recommend this place to anyone that is suffering with hair loss. Cheers!.

Glad you got sorted JCVD! Yea my first two sessions were with Ian & Ranbir. Third session was due to be also but Ranbir was sick on the day. Top job done by all at HIS Birmingham.

Ok so just back from a nice winter sun week in the Canaries. Wife was buying suncream and had asked her to get some SPF15 since the sun isn't too strong there at this time of year. She came back with some of the Piz Buin stuff and since I noticed it didn't contain alcohol, I used it on my head. Unlike the last stuff I used, it wasn't greasy and when I got home the shine on my head was no worse than before the holiday. Good result I think.