gm68

Light brown hair and unevenly greying

Recommended Posts

His Hair has to send their UK practitioners to Canada.

Your results from your 2 sessions is way better than my results from multiple sessions that I got in Toronto, Ontario Canada.

Congrats on getting quality work from a good practitioner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2018 at 12:51 PM, gm68 said:

Well I have to say the last two posts have come as a bit of a shock. I had the HT thing put to bed for good. Not being a suitable candidate due to my nw level and the large area of bald / diffuse thinned scalp to cover!

I think my feelings about HTs remain unchanged though. My issues with this are:

- Large area of permanent scarring (so many stories of HT-regret on these and other forums)

- Slow and (mentally) painful recovery process (I'm not sure fibres would help much if existing hair suffered shock loss)

- No guarantee of success (see first point above)

- Would probably still have to use fibres in my situ (assuming a thin head of hair is the best I could hope for); continued use of fibres is a no-no for me at this stage...

- Expensive (to be brutally honest, almost certainly more than my hair is worth to me).

 

I had HTs 30 years ago...and they have certainly gotten better....I am 50 and all I have wanted to do for the last 30 years was hide the bad transplants....I have been researching SMP for a while and found a great practitioner locally....but still have too many fears of the unknown to take the risk...maybe next year.

If I were you....and all I have been through and stressed over with my head....I would just shave it bald and avoid any procedures...smp, transplants, etc...

What I would do to turn the clock back to age 20 and bipass the transplants and just shave it

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/06/2019 at 3:55 AM, JCVD said:

His Hair has to send their UK practitioners to Canada.

Your results from your 2 sessions is way better than my results from multiple sessions that I got in Toronto, Ontario Canada.

Congrats on getting quality work from a good practitioner.

Thanks, although I guess it's down to the individual too. I've been following the Canadian threads and hope that they get things sorted out over there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/06/2019 at 6:57 PM, LDB said:

I had HTs 30 years ago...and they have certainly gotten better....I am 50 and all I have wanted to do for the last 30 years was hide the bad transplants....I have been researching SMP for a while and found a great practitioner locally....but still have too many fears of the unknown to take the risk...maybe next year.

If I were you....and all I have been through and stressed over with my head....I would just shave it bald and avoid any procedures...smp, transplants, etc...

What I would do to turn the clock back to age 20 and bipass the transplants and just shave it

Hi LDB, thanks for the advice albeit a bit belated :)

I'm also 50 (nearly 51 :)) and researched HTs when I was 40 and decided against. Haven't changed my opinion on that one bit and really thankful I didn't go anywhere near it (poor candidate anyway). But I LOVE my SMP.

Hope you find a solution you are happy with...... yes with SMP there is a risk..... but I'm glad I took the risk and did it.... so far anyway ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gm68 said:

Thanks, although I guess it's down to the individual too. I've been following the Canadian threads and hope that they get things sorted out over there.

I am under the belief that all practitioners are not created equal.

Some quite honestly are just dot layers and some are artists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's holding up well. If you add a layer in a slightly darker shade you will really notice the density impact of the 'magic' third session. I think this gives a bit of texture or 3D effect. As for you noticing the point where real hair meets ink that's because no doubt you know the worst possible angle and light to look at yourself in the mirror and I bet you automatically go to that setting when examining...it's a weird form of self flagellation. I went darker in the belief that I could carry off a bit of stubble, being uber critical, you can't really, but I don't care and routinely wander around with a couple of days stubble anyway. The point is nobody cares as much as you and even with two days of stubble no one gives a second glance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/06/2019 at 1:45 AM, JCVD said:

I am under the belief that all practitioners are not created equal.

Some quite honestly are just dot layers and some are artists.

I'm absolutely convinced they aren't. Was a big concern for me...... not going back unless I can get the same practitioner!

On 11/06/2019 at 2:39 AM, noircat23 said:

Fantastic results GM68.  Looks absolutely perfect.  Congrats!

 

Thanks noircat, very happy so far!

On 11/06/2019 at 4:05 PM, SHVD said:

That's holding up well. If you add a layer in a slightly darker shade you will really notice the density impact of the 'magic' third session. I think this gives a bit of texture or 3D effect. As for you noticing the point where real hair meets ink that's because no doubt you know the worst possible angle and light to look at yourself in the mirror and I bet you automatically go to that setting when examining...it's a weird form of self flagellation. I went darker in the belief that I could carry off a bit of stubble, being uber critical, you can't really, but I don't care and routinely wander around with a couple of days stubble anyway. The point is nobody cares as much as you and even with two days of stubble no one gives a second glance. 

Great comments again SHVD..... sligtly darker is where I'll probably end up going, albeit I don't want a massive change at this point. It's pretty darn good as it is even after just 2 sessions.

I think I might have been happier to have a bit of stubble if it wasn't for the grey. Those pesky wee silvery hairs really stand out in outdoor light. But I now genuinely really like the shaved look.

On 11/06/2019 at 7:40 PM, baldy-locks said:

Looks really good mate. Not sure you need a 3rd session. Nice  subtle hairline 

shaving off to the wood now 😉

wish my head looked matte like yours 😫

A tiny part of me questions whether I actually need the 3rd session, but in some lighting conditions I'm still very convinced I do. Think I'd prefer to do something subtle in the 3rd session, leaving plenty of time before the (possible) free top-up session which would have to happen before 1st March.

I did say I didn't think my head was very shiny :). It does seem a bit shinier in some lighting conditions but if I'm really concerned (e.g. for very special occasions!) there is always the PTR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well 2 weeks in the Spanish summer sun doesn't appear to have had any adverse effect on my SMP. I used the Avene SPF50 and later SPF30 and came back with only a little colour on my head, and no other ill effects.

Two and a half months until session 3......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, something has happened. Not the end of the world, but worthy of a mention anyway.

Since returning from holiday I have noticed a massive, and I mean MASSIVE, increase in shine. At first it didn't obviously look like shine and I initially thought it was further fading/lightening of the SMP - but it wasn't apparent in outdoor light so I concluded it wasn't fading. Then I managed to create my least favourite lighting condition (indoor, with backlighting) and it was 'glaringly' obvious - horrendous shine :(

At this point I was glad I had had the foresight to buy a couple of tubes of PTR; this stuff is great and as such has now been incorporated into my regular routine until I see what happens going forward.

Any ideas whay may have caused this? The things I did differently on holiday were:

- Using sunblock (Avene SPF30 & 50, used daily);

- Getting more sun exposure (but always with sunblock - to the point where I have had no visible additional sun tan at all - plus a baseball hat some of the time);

- Sweating more (it was hot).

Given the above I get the impression the sunblock may have done this, but I don't know how? Irritatingly the shine is only on the top of my head, while the sunblock was applied all over my head and face.

I'd quite like to get back to where I was before!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may have been a bit too hasty with that last post. The shine has since abated quite a bit and things are nearly back to where they were - over a month after returning from holiday! I ended up only using PTR for a very short time and am now no longer using it.

But I do think my SMP may have lightened/faded further. I seem to really need a fresh shave to the bone for it to blend well in indoor lighting. Not sure what's going on. Aw well, session 3 next month. Guess I can wait to get it sorted then - although I'm now a bit concerned about another step change in appearance.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/07/2019 at 8:24 PM, gm68 said:

Ok, something has happened. Not the end of the world, but worthy of a mention anyway.

Since returning from holiday I have noticed a massive, and I mean MASSIVE, increase in shine. At first it didn't obviously look like shine and I initially thought it was further fading/lightening of the SMP - but it wasn't apparent in outdoor light so I concluded it wasn't fading. Then I managed to create my least favourite lighting condition (indoor, with backlighting) and it was 'glaringly' obvious - horrendous shine :(

At this point I was glad I had had the foresight to buy a couple of tubes of PTR; this stuff is great and as such has now been incorporated into my regular routine until I see what happens going forward.

Any ideas whay may have caused this? The things I did differently on holiday were:

- Using sunblock (Avene SPF30 & 50, used daily);

- Getting more sun exposure (but always with sunblock - to the point where I have had no visible additional sun tan at all - plus a baseball hat some of the time);

- Sweating more (it was hot).

Given the above I get the impression the sunblock may have done this, but I don't know how? Irritatingly the shine is only on the top of my head, while the sunblock was applied all over my head and face.

I'd quite like to get back to where I was before!

Isn't the top of head shots me not a unfortunate side effect of balding rather than just having no hair? One of the reasons that avoiding shine is one of the big issues with SMP. If you have a shiny bonce it's a dead giveaway!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea maybe, I was aware of this issue but it took a certain type of lighting to show it up. My head was actually quite matte and in all normal lighting conditions it was grand. After my holiday I noticed a real change to much more shine. It's settled down a bit now but not quite as good as it was before yet. PTR is a great product and cured the issue. But it's not really necessary now. There does appear to have been a bit of fading/lightening though. This isn't finished yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would try to stop analyzing and worrying about it if I was you. Easier said than done.

It's a tattoo, it will fade, your head will appear shiny in certain lighting, you have no hair, it's inevitable. 

And yes, from my experience you will have to shave it everyday, otherwise it won't match up.

If I could turn the clock back, I wouldn't have had my SMP. You end up replacing one obsession (losing hair) with another... does it look noticeable today, is it fading, I better not forget to shave, do I need another 500 pound top up? Can I laser it off, but then will that be noticeable.

You will drive yourself crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Genetics,

Thanks, yea it's good advice not to over-analyse etc, and I think I need to point out that despite my earlier posts I'm not actually worrying about this.

Looking at some of your other posts it seems you aren't terribly thilled with your SMP, just want to point out that's not where I'm at, or (I believe) where I'm headed. I'm still very happy with this and don't regret for a moment the decision to go ahead with it. That said, I think I have experienced a tiny bit of what you are describing, yes the dots do look more prominent at the start and become less so over a couple of months. But mine still look great, especially in outdoor light. I do think it's bit light overall, particularly in some indoor lighting conditions, but hey I've only had two sessions and we'll see what comes out of the third one next month. And one thing I'm very sure of, it looks a whole lot better than a bald scalp!

I do now shave every night before bed though and I think it looks best immediately after shaving. Even then though I can still see the bits where I have thicker hair, which is why I suggest that the job isn't finished yet :)

I've tried wet shaving too and quite like the smooth feel afterwards (it's quicker too).

The shine thing took me a bit by surprise but I now feel I may be heading back more or less to where I was before my holiday. And there's always PTR if I'm really concerned, which currently I am not. (Where this leaves me with the sunblock situ though I've no idea).

On the basis of your experience I may not be rushing for too many top ups..... but I really don't obsess about this like I did with my previous concealer routine...... the SMP looks perfectly natural in my opinion and everyone is used to my new look now and no one scrutinises it. It wouldn't be an overstatement to say I'm very thankful that this has liberated me from the concealer routine :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You’ve made the hardest decision to decision to get it done- it looks great and just enjoy it now! You have the luxury of a 4th session if it fades. By the way the 3rd session is the best! 

Just enjoy and if you need it topped up in 2 years time for £500- deal with it then. Some people spend that on a holiday, a pair of jeans- 5 nights out. This is for you and your confidence.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea I'm not overly concerned about the cost of touch-ups, although I'd hope not to be back within 2 years!

I agree, I have 2 session left to get it the way I want it, within the orignal quoted cost. I think it will be fine.

By the way the shine doesn't seem to be going away any further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now