gm68

Light brown hair and unevenly greying

It sounds like you are getting the perfect reaction i,e you suit the shaved head and why do you shave when you have so much hair. That's pretty much what any of us want from this procedure. Happy Days!

On 20/03/2019 at 2:17 PM, Charlie said:

Mate this looks really good, i'd leave it a while before worrying about a third session and see how it all settles down. I am in on Saturday and want something similar - do you remember what shade of pigment you went with for your first session ?

Yea think that's what I'll do.

The shades from my first session were 60 and 50 I think.

On 20/03/2019 at 6:13 PM, bobobaldy said:

It sounds like you are getting the perfect reaction i,e you suit the shaved head and why do you shave when you have so much hair. That's pretty much what any of us want from this procedure. Happy Days!

So far so good! I'm sure I'll be back for a third session but currently thinking about leaving it until summer-ish.

23 hours ago, baldy-locks said:

Have you got a shaving routine sorted now? & how did you find the PTR 

Still interim routine - buzz then run over it roughly with mini shaver. Result: very short crop. I think I was incorrect previously by calling my buzz a 'grade 0'. What it actually was/is is a close crop with my Remington trimmer. This device claims 0.4mm if the blades are angled towards the skin. That's what I've actually been doing - followed by the rough shaver crop to get a bit closer still in the critical areas.

So since I'm already buzzing to 0.4mm there is little point in me looking at any other devices that claim the same. I need something that crops shorter. I've looked at the Oneblade but not sure about it. Also don't like the short blade life. I'm looking at the Wahl balding clippers although would prefer they were cordless. I've also read they are heavy which might be undesirable if travelling etc. Would be interested to know if anyone can confirm that they get closer than 0.4mm? Difficulty is once these products are opened/used, it's not generally possible to return them.

Must confess I only got round to trying the PTR this morning. Result - well impressed, instant mattifying. I'm feeling though that I will probably keep a tube of this for occasional use, but not use it every day. Reasons:

- I don't have a very shiny head anyway.

- I'd prefer not to be slapping stuff on my SMP that isn't absolutely necessary.

- I'm unwilling to become dependent on any products (particularly at £22.50 a pop).

This is my opinion on clippers... I’ve got some Wahl balding clippers, for them to work the best I needed a weeks worth of growth, otherwise using them daily was  awkward and made my head sore. 

I need to shave daily, so rotary or wet shave for me 

PTR is a great product, which I use daily (very shiny head!!) I just wish it was cheaper or someone did a similar product that was less expensive 

On 23/03/2019 at 11:41 PM, Charlie said:

I use a Braun Series 9 mate, expensive to buy but worth it imo - as close as a Mach 3 wet shave with a lot less hassle 👍

Thanks, I have a Series 3 which I'm well impressed with (for shaving beard) but am looking for something not quite as 'good' for the head (leaving things a bit rough, but closer than my 0.4mm trimmer).

I see slightly mixed reports on the Wahls, generally good though. Would just like to get more of a feeling they will do what I want, since they are at least £45.

gm68 thanks for the play by play in describing your emotions and thought process as you made your decision and went through with SMP. It's been a couple of weeks since your second treatment. Are you 100% happy with it? Has it settled in to a nice realistic look? Have you blended right back into your life and it is not an issue for you or anyone else - pretty much undetectable?  Do you recommend the procedure? Appreciate your comments..Jon

@baldy-locks hi brother. Thanks for the insight on the wahl clippers. I too have shaved my head in the past with the Wahl 5 Star seniors. I had zero gapped them and would find i would be able to take the hair down insanely close to the scalp. I wouldn't have much irritation but i would often find i would cut myself if i didnt get the perfect angle as the blades were extremely sharp. You were having a hard time when doing it every 3-4 days? I was thinking the wahl balding clippers would be my next set but now i am reconsidering as i feel 1 week would be too long.

I actually used my Wahl Balding clippers last night, as felt that the Braun 9 would be too much of a contrast to the SMP (as only had it done on Saturday). I'd actually forgotten I had the clippers as been using Braun's to get rid of the horse shoe for so many years now, glad I kept them though as has blended in better with the treatment post 3 days - depending on my second treatment I might well stick to the Wahl Balding clippers :) 

20 hours ago, oj89 said:

@baldy-locks hi brother. Thanks for the insight on the wahl clippers. I too have shaved my head in the past with the Wahl 5 Star seniors. I had zero gapped them and would find i would be able to take the hair down insanely close to the scalp. I wouldn't have much irritation but i would often find i would cut myself if i didnt get the perfect angle as the blades were extremely sharp. You were having a hard time when doing it every 3-4 days? I was thinking the wahl balding clippers would be my next set but now i am reconsidering as i feel 1 week would be too long.

My opinion is: if you’re  zero gapping clippers, you may as well use a rotary or foil shaver, a lot less aggro 

On 27/03/2019 at 12:36 AM, Jonnyp said:

gm68 thanks for the play by play in describing your emotions and thought process as you made your decision and went through with SMP. It's been a couple of weeks since your second treatment. Are you 100% happy with it? Has it settled in to a nice realistic look? Have you blended right back into your life and it is not an issue for you or anyone else - pretty much undetectable?  Do you recommend the procedure? Appreciate your comments..Jon

Yes it has settled nicely with minimal fading since my last post. I would say am completely happy with it - for now. However I do feel that I will have a third session at some point.

I have definitely got back into normal life now, both in work and elsewhere. I've had all the right comments as mentioned earlier, still getting some (and some very funny ones at that) although I think everyone's shock at my new look is now starting to fade - which is good :)

I've also managed to get my hair a bit shorter again, more or less where I want it to be (crappy pic below - sorry couldn't be bothered getting the 7D out tonight). I did this with the DIY mod to my Braun M90 in the second pic :lol:

Edit: Lol just realised I'm wearing the same t-shirt again, you guys must think I only own one :lol:

IMG_20190328_195649_copy.jpg

IMG_20190328_195857_copy.jpg

Appreciate the update great to hear. Looks really good as I said really have to see it in person to know for sure. But you seem to think it looks just like a real buzz cut so it must look good, just takes a bit to get used to the new look. I understand your thoughts on the 3rd session but it seems the hard part is over and that is just tweaking. Need to decide if I will go for this while I still work and am the boss over many employees or wait a few years until I retire. Trying to gather as much info as I can and I appreciate your help.

Wouldn't have even noticed the shirt if you hadn't mentioned it - probably like most people won't really notice the new hair style either!

7 hours ago, gm68 said:

Yes it has settled nicely with minimal fading since my last post. I would say am completely happy with it - for now. However I do feel that I will have a third session at some point.

I have definitely got back into normal life now, both in work and elsewhere. I've had all the right comments as mentioned earlier, still getting some (and some very funny ones at that) although I think everyone's shock at my new look is now starting to fade - which is good :)

I've also managed to get my hair a bit shorter again, more or less where I want it to be (crappy pic below - sorry couldn't be bothered getting the 7D out tonight). I did this with the DIY mod to my Braun M90 in the second pic :lol:

Edit: Lol just realised I'm wearing the same t-shirt again, you guys must think I only own one :lol:

IMG_20190328_195649_copy.jpg

IMG_20190328_195857_copy.jpg

WTF that’s proper made me 🤣🤣

hair looks good (although poor pic) 👍🏻

Lol well I am an engineer..... albeit an electronics one.

The result is thay my head feels quite smooth with the grain, but sandpapery against the grain. More or less where I wanted it to be. I'm happy with that.

So glad I did this.

On 28/03/2019 at 10:55 PM, Jonnyp said:

Appreciate the update great to hear. Looks really good as I said really have to see it in person to know for sure. But you seem to think it looks just like a real buzz cut so it must look good, just takes a bit to get used to the new look. I understand your thoughts on the 3rd session but it seems the hard part is over and that is just tweaking. Need to decide if I will go for this while I still work and am the boss over many employees or wait a few years until I retire. Trying to gather as much info as I can and I appreciate your help.

Wouldn't have even noticed the shirt if you hadn't mentioned it - probably like most people won't really notice the new hair style either!

That's how it's been for me; others will be different. I wasn't able to buzz my head up-front because of my concealer routine, so didn't have the opportunity to get used to it first.

I also didn't see SMP in person before having my first session - depending on where you live it may be difficult to. But I'm happy with the results so far and it's certainly (IMO) miles better than just shaving and being bald.

On 28/03/2019 at 10:55 PM, Jonnyp said:

But you seem to think it looks just like a real buzz cut so it must look good, just takes a bit to get used to the new look.

What do you class as a buzz cut? A clipper cut grade 1-3? That’s what I do & IMO SMP doesn’t replicate this, especially after a few months when the dots shrink & fade etc, it’s looks more like a wet shave or rotary shave and I think people need to be aware of this 

I also thought it would be at most, a zero clipper cut, but now a year on I’m wet shaving and this matches spot on  

most google images show treatments directly after sessions & yes it can look like a buzz cut, but you don’t see a great deal of treatments months later when healed & faded 

2 hours ago, baldy-locks said:

What do you class as a buzz cut? A clipper cut grade 1-3? That’s what I do & IMO SMP doesn’t replicate this, especially after a few months when the dots shrink & fade etc, it’s looks more like a wet shave or rotary shave and I think people need to be aware of this 

I also thought it would be at most, a zero clipper cut, but now a year on I’m wet shaving and this matches spot on  

most google images show treatments directly after sessions & yes it can look like a buzz cut, but you don’t see a great deal of treatments months later when healed & faded 

If you look on this forum you will see plenty of example of treatments months and years down the line. But yeah I think the perception that the suppliers want you to have is that you will have a crew cut rather than a shaved head. I think even HIS were guilty of using models with cropped hair rather than genuine customers in the past. Once customers get used to the look they usually accept shaving rather than clippers. Still thing rotary cut at 10pm will probably look ok by 9am next day for anybody wanting a bit of growth.

On 31/03/2019 at 11:48 AM, bobobaldy said:

If you look on this forum you will see plenty of example of treatments months and years down the line. But yeah I think the perception that the suppliers want you to have is that you will have a crew cut rather than a shaved head. I think even HIS were guilty of using models with cropped hair rather than genuine customers in the past. Once customers get used to the look they usually accept shaving rather than clippers. Still thing rotary cut at 10pm will probably look ok by 9am next day for anybody wanting a bit of growth.

I always assumed it would have to be at least a grade 0 and never seriously thought with my degree of hair loss that I could pull off anything longer than that. That was definitely the main difficulty I had to overcome when deciding whether to have SMP.

That said, following my two sessions I've been taking some time to determine for myself what works for me. As indicated in my most recent posts above I am now no longer using clippers but am using my 'modified' foil shaver. This is leaving the slighlty rough shave feel that I was hoping for, in fact probably even a bit shorter than that. When done just before bed it looks good for the next day, but with my degree of hair loss it's definitely a daily routine.

But..... I do think I might be being a bit picky. My wife said I looked absolutely fine with my grade 0 clipper buzz and she couldn't see any issue.

Well I foil shaved down to the wood last night and while it was a bit smooth for my liking first thing this morning, it feels great now. Let's see what it's like later after 24 hours.....

6 hours ago, gm68 said:

Well I foil shaved down to the wood last night and while it was a bit smooth for my liking first thing this morning, it feels great now. Let's see what it's like later after 24 hours.....

I didn’t think it would be long before going to the wood.. it got the better of me in the end lol 

Yea guess I had to get there myself ;-)

It's best in the middle of the day but definitely still a daily routine.

Also not sure the little Braun is going to hack it long term.

Edit: The Series 3 is much better and much quicker.

At the 3 month mark now so thought I'd pop in and post a few updated pics.

Still very happy with this and so glad I did it. Everyone is now used to my new look and I don't even think much about it any more. I have also got used to the shaved look and actually really like it.

I've settled into a routine of foil shaving daily before going to bed, even that seems to leave a little more length than I'd now like once I get to the 24 hour mark. But I don't have time to do shave every morning so that's the way it'll have to be for now.

I've gone ahead and booked a third session for September, in the hope that sometime soon my white scalp will see some sun (albeit with appropriate precautions to be taken). I think that will give me a better idea of where I am. However the weather here has been really poor this spring (except for a really good Easter weekend). Also work has been manic - so no tan yet. Off to Spain in a couple of weeks so will take plenty of sunblock & yes hats as well.

Still deliberating over what to get done in the third session. Basically in outdoor light it looks quite good as it is, however from some angles and especially in indoor light I think it still looks lightish on top and I can definitely see where I have hair and where I don't. Not sure the camera has brought that out but I'll post the pics anyway.

So I think it may need a bit more density, perhaps with a slightly darker pigment. Also I'll probably take the earlier advice to break up the hairline a bit more with a light & sparse sprinkling in the middle. Finally in the front on shots it's clear the right temple is higher than the left. I'd like that evened out just a bit.

With all of the above though I think any further changes really have to be very subtle. I can't do any more big step changes in appearance.....

First here are the outdoor shots (taken in overcast conditions):

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg