gm68

Light brown hair and unevenly greying

I’m sure you’ll notice a massive difference after the 2nd session. 1st session is just, let’s say, a base coat. 

I think you can get caught up in thinking, it’s should look finished after 1 session... I had 3 in total

when are you back in? 

What do you think of the hair line below? 

597B2384-9A6B-4EB5-9471-5331D5947631.jpeg

Yea I've had a few wobbles over the last couple of days. Doubts like, am I mad doing this etc :unsure:

I'm back in tomorrow.

Re the hairline above, yea kind of the right idea although I'd like the rounded bit on the front to be wider perhaps.

I'm thinking that I will discuss the following possibilities with Ian/Ranbir tomorrow:

- Left temple tapers in a bit near the top. Would like it a bit straighter like the right one.

- Hairline is lopsided (left temple is 2-3mm higher than the right one and needs bringing down by that amount.

- The more I look at the hairline the more I don't really like it. It's too high and too straight. It's hard to be exact but I reckon it could come down 5-7mm in the centre, with a rounded centre tapering out towards the temples. I guess we will have to draw lots more lines with wax pens :)

- Overall colour is really light to my eye. I really wanted more contrast between 'hair' and skin. What happens when my pale white scalp slowly darkens due to exposure to sun/daylight? Maybe simply increasing the density in session 2 will help this?

Only natural to have those feelings mate... I had them for 6 months + 

still get the odd wobble now, 1 year on !! 

When I exposed mine to the sun for the first summer. I got uneven tanning to start with. Darker in places where I’ve got smp than hair. I could notice, but nobody ever mentioned it. But the more exposure I had, the more even it became. I always put spf 30 on if in it for long periods 

I’m sure it will all come good. But i really think you should consider shaving your head to the bone. You will get use to it and the smp/hair blend will be better  

I never thought of that, uneven tanning. Let's hope that won't be a big issue. Usually use factor 50, although that was to minimise contrast between my face an scalp (due to concealers).....

Yea I tried doing a rough shave (with the Braun head tilted back) on part of my head yesterday evening around 5.00. The result was that there were no dots where the follicles are, just a solid area of beige (not much darker than my skin to be honest). I'm not sure if that would make the SMP dots stand out more? My near vision is crap so I need glasses to see if it looks good - not really helpful. Anyway this morning it still has a good sandpaper feel and still seems to look good. Guess I'm finding my way with what I can get away with - will know more in a week's time once the 2nd session has had a chance to stablilise.

My hair is grey on the sides, that’s why I rotary shave to a “wet & dry” sandpaper feel. On the top my hair is dark brown and I wet shave against the grain. Seems to work for me 

Yea my hair is grey in places too, on the sides and more so on the back. A 'rough' shave gets rid of it (it just looks beige) but a grade 0 buzz leaves a silvery tint to the hairs which is only visible in outdoor daylight and not indoor lighting.

Yea I guess it's getting over that period where it's new to everyone. After that no one will think twice about it.

Fair play to you for going back to work after the first session!

You definately want to bring the middle down and break up the hairline. The more even it is the more unnatural. Look at genuine shaved heads, wonky hairlines. Then look at the guy from MAFS to see how it shouldn't look.

Been researching SMP for a couple of years. 57 in good shape think I would look good. May wait until I retire. I am the boss I definitely will get attention at work. I'm near Chicago seems it is hard to get much personalized attention in USA. I would really be more comfortable with seeing people and company personnel live. Need the human touch and to see people with SMP in person, and to know I don' t get it done and then they disappear if I need them. Thanks for posting your journey. Hope you continue; nice to see you going through all of the emotions and I would like to see how you feel and how it looks when it is finished.  Jon

43 minutes ago, baldy-locks said:

How did the 2nd treatment go? 

19 hours ago, bobobaldy said:

You definately want to bring the middle down and break up the hairline. The more even it is the more unnatural. Look at genuine shaved heads, wonky hairlines. Then look at the guy from MAFS to see how it shouldn't look.

Think it went really well. We did more or less exactly what I posted above, i.e. dropped the hairline about 5mm in the middile, and made it more rounded and a bit more symmetrical. And broke up the hairline too. Also tidied up the side profile on the left side. Ian was surprised how well I'd taken the pigment and said, contrary to my earlier observations, that it was actually looking darker than he expected. So we only went slightly darker (shades 58 and 48). Should have much more density now and can't wait to see how it looks once settled.

Ranbir blended the pigment further down into my existing hair this time, this was significantly more painful. I also bled more, so my head is quite red. It took 3 days for the redness to more or less settle after the first session, so I see a quiet weekend coming up....

Didn't book a 3rd session, leaving that until I see how things turn out.

Now in departures at BHX, security made me take off my hat this week and flipping bags got selected for additional security check.... oh well. Just ready to be home now.......

18 hours ago, Jonnyp said:

Been researching SMP for a couple of years. 57 in good shape think I would look good. May wait until I retire. I am the boss I definitely will get attention at work. I'm near Chicago seems it is hard to get much personalized attention in USA. I would really be more comfortable with seeing people and company personnel live. Need the human touch and to see people with SMP in person, and to know I don' t get it done and then they disappear if I need them. Thanks for posting your journey. Hope you continue; nice to see you going through all of the emotions and I would like to see how you feel and how it looks when it is finished.  Jon

Thanks for the comments, yes you're right, I went through some different emotions this week. Not too extreme, but the excitement of Fri/Sat gave way to a bit of worry later in the week when I saw it fading. Being at home all week probably didn't help too much since being alone with any issue or concern tends to focus your mind on it.

I was concerned with the fading (although it was completely expected) but when Ian showed me the before and after (1st session) photos (a week apart) it showed me how far I'd actually come already.

Not sure about the US, but this side of the pond I chose HIS at least partly due to their long history / track record.

I definitely didn't have a couple of years to research this either, my previous concealer routine wasn't going to survive that long :)

Glad you made it through the second session. The pain doesn't bother me even if it was a bit more. If the end result is great it is well worth it. Looking forward to pics after it settles as well. If I have to fly somewhere that is fine if the results are worth it.

Yes same here, short term pain for long term gain ;-)

Some pics below, taken this evening. Not fantastic quality unfortunately, but you can see the lines where the hairline has been lowered and where the blending has been done.

IMG_20190309_170848_copy.jpg

IMG_20190309_170900_copy.jpg

IMG_20190309_170909_copy.jpg

IMG_20190309_170918_copy.jpg

IMG_20190309_170926_copy.jpg

Nice blending which I am sure when the redness goes in a day or so and you have a fresh buzz will bring it together. Your hair at the sides almost touch at the top of your head which I think is a bonus when framing SMP, it creates a sort of halo of stubble which really fools the eye about the pigmented area, obviously under closer scrutiny you will notice the difference but I reckon you will be able to have a daily 0 guard shave instead of foil shaving. Try to wait for the third session to assess how it fades, I'd say maybe eight weeks minimum, you will know then how it settles unlike after three when you're still kinda guessing. 

Looks really good. Hope you post some more when it settles completely. Pictures are hard to gauge since the blend and 2D affect are much better to assess in person. Does it look natural, do you think it just looks like a clean shaven head? Seems to me it may look even better in person, not that this looks bad as it definitely does not, but to me pictures don't give a great hair impression kind of just blends it rather than separate follicle look (if that makes sense). Be better when it settles completely too.

Thanks guys. Yes it's starting to get there.

I need a fresh buzz since it's been two days since last grade 0. In certain lighting conditions this is noticeable..... and it's going to be Tuesday before I can buzz it (per the aftercare guidelines).

I'll need to see what I can get away with, not sure a daily grade 0 will be acceptable but let's see. As an alternative I'm still looking for something between that and a full shave, something like a rough shave if you like. Not sure how to achieve that consistently over my whole head.

Yes the pics aren't great. But I can say that it does look very realistic. Much more so when it fades and the redness settles, based on my first session. The density (unsurprisngly) just wasn't there after the first session, let's see how the second session settles.

for what its worth im goin for my 1st session wednesday and iv purchased the wahl balding clippers i done a bit of barbering b4 and that baby does 0.4mm its the closest cut u can get wit a clipper but isnt a wet shave. some machine

Yea somebody mentioned on another thread something that does 0.4mm. I was trying to figure out if that would be likely to get closer than a grade 0...... never had my hair this short before!

All the best for the first session!

Have you considered rotary shave before bed? Then your bracing the world with 8 hour stubble.

Personally I would slightly lower the middle with a light and sparse sprinkle. Ideally the hairline is a blur rather than a line.Im sure once the redness subsides and pigment fades it will soften further.