gm68

Light brown hair and unevenly greying

Hi All,

I've been researching this stuff for a couple of months now and finally making my first post, so go easy ;-)

My history, briefly:

- 50 years old.

- First noticed slight hair loss in my early 20s. Been very gradually thinning since then.

- For the rest of my 20s, no action was taken or, I suppose, necessary.

- In my 30s, I buzzed the top a bit longer than the sides & back, which worked fine for many years.

- As I reached 40, my hair was too thin to continue doing nothing and admittedly  for the first time I properly researched options and even went as far as meeting Spencer (Spex). But decided that a HT was not right for me and went for a regime of finasteride and concealers, which has worked for many years.

- Unfortunately the thinning hasn't stopped and I now have very little hair on top, the concealers are becoming less effective, so it's time for a change. So here I am.

One of my concerns is that my hair is greying, but not evenly. I've never shaved my head (although I had it down to a no.1 round the sides/back for a while in my late 30s). But my facial hair (which is much more grey) is more or less invisible when shaved and not that visible even after a couple of days' growth (which is the maximum I will let it grow before shaving). So I guess I'm wondering how SMP would work for me with the uneven greying,would it blend ok or would I be better getting the full head done? And am also concerned that when shaved it all may be invisible!

Anyone else in a simular situ? A lot of the pics on the HIS site are of younger guys with darker skin and darker hair (and with beards, which I don't and won't have :). I can stick a few pics up if it helps. Otherwise SMP looks like a really interesting solution to me.

It's done the job for over 10 years now, it's not too stressful (I don't re-apply every day) but it's a bit of a PITA. It's good enough I guess for me to be pretty confident and in 10 years I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times someone has noticed. Only once do I recall an individual actually making a comment about whether my hair was real, which I just laughed off. Maybe I just surround myself with polite people though :P

Anyway I don't care what anyone thinks so long as I'm happy with my appearance, and it will be the same with SMP if I end up going down that route.

I don't regret going down the concealer route but my wife has commented a couple of times over the last few months that it's not working just as well as my hair is getting a bit too thin now. I was starting to feel the same before she said this and that's why I've re-started my research. Things have come on a bit in 10 years and I think SMP has the potential to deliver a future free of the current regime, where windy days aren't a concern and where I can get cracking with some of the various activities that I'd like to try but have been unable to.... and all without being (or at least appearing to be) bald B)

Couldn't get away with a baseball cap JCVD, wouldn't look right in the office :blink:

If you cut all your hair with an electric razor daily, it will stay almost invisible for at least a day.

I imagine that you could then pick any shade of SMP you want.

On 16/11/2018 at 11:34 AM, maxb said:

... I don't understand how concealers work. How do the artificial hairs stay attached to your head, if it's nearly completely bald on top?

I have slightly more hair than it appears in that 'on top' shot. The conealer is very effective and it's amazing how much it thickens even a very thin covering of hair. However it's now struggling a bit, particularly in the crown area where I have very little hair.

On 16/11/2018 at 11:32 AM, maxb said:

If you cut all your hair with an electric razor daily, it will stay almost invisible for at least a day.

I imagine that you could then pick any shade of SMP you want.

True, hence my dilemma. I'm not sure if it is better to

(i) get the top done and blend it with my existing hair or

(ii) go slighlty darker and get the whole head done?

I wat to make sure it's dark enough to be visible in all lighting conditions although wouldn't want it to look any way unnatural...... I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has been in a similar situ and has has SMP done ;)

Aesthetically, you can pick a dark color, but you'd need to dye your eyebrows too. You can't have dark "dots" and grey eyebrows.

Other options to consider are a clean shave (no SMP) or a hair piece. Apparently they are very good now, but you have to reglue them every 3 weeks.

7 minutes ago, maxb said:

Aesthetically, you can pick a dark color, but you'd need to dye your eyebrows too. You can't have dark "dots" and grey eyebrows.

Other options to consider are a clean shave (no SMP) or a hair piece. Apparently they are very good now, but you have to reglue them every 3 weeks.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I was thinking slightly darker, not much darker. Good point though....

Not sure how darker dots would be applied on top of my existing hair?

As for your two other options, well just shaving and being bald is an option, and to be fair probably the best option for guys who don't mind being bald. But I'm not one of those guys.... and SMP looks like a far better option..... which is why I'm here :)

"System"? No. Not ever. Period. :o

Yes, "systems". I don't think I'd use one either, but I wouldn't use concealers either.

From what I understand, hair systems are actually less hassle than concealers (just reglue them once every 3 weeks), they are less likely to be "discovered" (you can swim in them) and look much better.

Systems. Of course you need to buy two, so you have one while the other is being "maintained". The expense can be considerable and neverending. It is true you can swim in some, but they have yet to invent one that is kid proof - there are always situations that must be guaranteed to induce anxiety. Maybe if you have Alec Baldwin's money and that sort of career motivation... 

10 hours ago, ed@hishairclinic.com said:

there are always situations that must be guaranteed to induce anxiety. 

I agree, but they can't be worse than concealers in this regard (Wind, rain, hats remove them, as I understand)

On 18/11/2018 at 12:17 PM, maxb said:

Yes, "systems". I don't think I'd use one either, but I wouldn't use concealers either.

From what I understand, hair systems are actually less hassle than concealers (just reglue them once every 3 weeks), they are less likely to be "discovered" (you can swim in them) and look much better.

I think my concealer story is typical..... amazing at the start, quick to apply and little hassle..... but unless you can completely halt any further hair loss....... they become less effective and take a much longer time to apply.

That said, they have provided me with 10 more years of having 'hair'. Otherwise the razor would have been the only option in 2008.

19 hours ago, ed@hishairclinic.com said:

Absolutely. I would add that if someone will only ever accept a return to their full head of hair, then a system is their only option. But if that is the case then everything I wrote in my previous post applies. 

Researching this has been very interesting. I now feel more than ever that it's time to chuck the concealer regime. I'd love a return to a full head of hair, but would never ever contemplate a system. SMP seems like a great compromise. There will still be a step change in appearance to explain, but 'I was receding/thinning and decided to buzz it off' works for me. All completely true too.

OP, I'd try to find someone who looks your age, bf% and complexion who's had SMP and see what you and other people think about it. IMHO the only people who pull it off are super-lean or have facial hair. This is necessary, but not sufficient. If you are lean, but have not beard, you need to have a particular jaw shape to pull off the shaved-head look.

There is a poster on this forum called the bald ego who was in a similar situation to me (albeit a bit older, blonder, greyer and balder - and without beard :)). I've read his full story and his results look fantastic. If I read correctly he had shades 36 and 38 and had his SMP blended down the sides/back into the grey. If it worked so well for him I think there's every chance it could be the right option for me?

Might be difficult for me to see SMP in person though....

If you don't live within easy reach of a clinic it can be more challenging to see SMP in person. But it has been around for over a decade now and with some luck you might be able to meet up with someone who lives more local by reaching out on here. 

PS: Bald Ego's contributions here are fantastic. 

On 26/11/2018 at 4:46 AM, gm68 said:

There is a poster on this forum called the bald ego who was in a similar situation to me (albeit a bit older, blonder, greyer and balder - and without beard :)). I've read his full story and his results look fantastic. If I read correctly he had shades 36 and 38 and had his SMP blended down the sides/back into the grey. If it worked so well for him I think there's every chance it could be the right option for me?

Might be difficult for me to see SMP in person though....

do you use finasteride still ? and i think a 5000 + grafts hair transplant could do wonders to you honestly ! 

Well I have to say the last two posts have come as a bit of a shock. I had the HT thing put to bed for good. Not being a suitable candidate due to my nw level and the large area of bald / diffuse thinned scalp to cover!

I think my feelings about HTs remain unchanged though. My issues with this are:

- Large area of permanent scarring (so many stories of HT-regret on these and other forums)

- Slow and (mentally) painful recovery process (I'm not sure fibres would help much if existing hair suffered shock loss)

- No guarantee of success (see first point above)

- Would probably still have to use fibres in my situ (assuming a thin head of hair is the best I could hope for); continued use of fibres is a no-no for me at this stage...

- Expensive (to be brutally honest, almost certainly more than my hair is worth to me).

Hello, I think the major consideration you will have to weigh up with the transition from your amazing cover up routine to SMP is the 'shortness'. Although your crop is probably what you consider to be short it ain't nowhere near as short as a couple of days of growth, which is the reality of SMP. You might actually like your existing hair cropped to a 'one' with a shaver and feel no need to have the treatment but on the plus side you look like you have a good amount of hair remaining to blend an SMP treatment into, high sides, not really a deep horseshoe... so your existing hair when shaved will 'frame' your SMP really well, in my opinion. I would say be realistic with what can be achieved, if you think being an older guy with a short/shaved crop is a look you are comfortable with and opt for an age related hairline then no one will give you a second look, it's not an unusual haircut option these days.

Thanks SHVD, very helpful post! I really quite like the idea of SMP and was (and still am) very excited about it. I do think it could be a really good exit plan for the concealer routine. For me the huge benefits SMP has over HT surgery are that it's not limited by donor hair, is reversible, leaves no permanent scarring, can be completed in a short time frame with little impact on everyday life, rids me of the concealers, and is relatively inexpensive.

I have every confidence in an experienced practitioner to do a really good job, so I'd consider that quite a minor risk so long as I choose my clinic/practitioner carefully.

You are right though, one of the big consdierations for me is how I would look with the buzzed cut. I haven't ever buzzed it right down and don't realistically have any opportunity to do so prior to having SMP treatment. I have in the past had a no.1 on the sides & back, but back then it was a 3 or 4 on top I think. That was 10/11 years ago as I was approaching 40 and the previous routine of cutting the top longer was beginning to lose its effectiveness.

Short of having a HT though, shaving will soon be the only option for me. At that point the decision about shaving with/without SMP should be a relatively easy one!

Good point about my high sides and back, that could be helpful B) I agree that I need to get the hariline right though, given my age.

Been thnking about the buzz cut look and found the photo below, taken just before I turned 40 and before I started using concealers. Back then I kept the sides at no.1 cut and top probably a no.3, and I shaved part of the front of the hairline since it was uneven. When I look at this now it just looks really bald and receded! The second pic is from a year or two later, with concealers.

I'm trying to imagine myself something like the first pic, but with it buzzed right down and with a lower hairline. Might submit this pic as a 'virtual SMP' photo?

gav2006_2_s_b.jpg

gavfb5_b.jpg