Sign in to follow this  
BaldnBald

Not shaving to skin

Morning all,

I haven't posted in a while, I'm on the fence, but pretty sure if the circumstances (of life) worked out I would do this, BUT, only under one condition.  That is kind of the reason for my topic.

I will only do it if its to match a shaved head, shaved clean with a razor.  I posted a topic a while ago about getting laser hair removal on my head, which I'm still doing, not cause it takes this long, cause of my work life schedule delaying the sessions.  But regardless of whether you get the laser hair removal first, I truly cannot for the life of me understand why so many people get the SMP to match a short buzzed look.  

I look at post after post and go straight to the pics, then come back to the write ups, and seems like often, I will see a mention of the person choosing to match the stubble look, and when I go back and look its that area where it blends with the side hair that's .... not obvious, but its there, its visible. 

Not to mention, that stubble on top will continue to go away, and eventually you will have to get it reblended to a shaved to skin look.  

I almost think for this to truly look acceptable, you have to accept you are bald, let your hair go, even stubble, and be content to look like you choose to shave your head to the skin. 

I don't say anything on the posts cause it does look better than bald, but it also looks like something was done.  The eye is extremely perceptive to variation of height and shadowing and even the smallest stubble gives off a different look than the look of to the skin.  Not only that, but when that day comes, and you have to shave, there is no more hair on top, now your sides will look lighter shaved, and your blend on top will be too dark matching your previous blend to stubble.  Not trying to be Debbie Downer here, but I remember how sickening it felt to be losing and thinning and everyone knew it, and I can't help but think some people are dooming themselves to feel that way the rest of their life (or getting laser removal) by blending to stubble and it being obvious now... or in 5 years.  And you can't just get touch up after touch up or the density will be too much and will look lie a blob of color

Anybody else?  Am I the only one?  I'm not hating, I think this an awesome awesome thing, and from what I've seen HIS does it best, and cares the most, I just worry that the mindset going in is going to disappoint in the end.

I'm not convinced this procedure works on extreme Norwood 7's like myself who try to match a wet shave. Reason being when I freshly wet shave no follicle can be seen. Just that grayish outline. An Smp wouldn't match in my opinion because the dots are clearly visible and even a little larger than the real hair follicles (that don't even show after a wet shave for me at least) Not hating on His or Smp's. I've seen some really good results on this site. Although I'm too paranoid to risk messing up what is an okay wetshave look with an smp that might not result in something truly undetectable and natural. Again I'm really impressed with a lot of the results I've seen in pictures and videos on here. I just don't think it will work for extreme Norwood 7's like myself who have no follicles appearing after a wetshave.

It does everything from the head! :ph34r:

Some men feel comfortable with a bald head - they do not even think about it. And some men like me are not able to go out with a bald head for years....!

I had wear a woolly hat or basecap for 8 years. When I left my home, I did not go swimming, not to parties, because drunk people liked to grab my basecap...! Weddings, funerals or comfirmations were especially difficult for me, because there it is a NOGO to wear a basecap...! 

Of course, before my first SMP I thought about it and asked myself, if will this help me?! But then I quickly realized, that I have no choice, because I lived my nightmare for many years and it could only be better for me. When I had made my first SMP  and I looked to myself in the mirror, I knew in a second - yes, that's it...! That will make me happy..! And now after all treatments are done, I am newborn. And it's funny - in real,  my head looks  much better than on all pics I have posted here..! It looks sooo real.

But we are all individualls - we all feel different. And I am happy, that I had found the perfect solution for me. And if there are people ( I do not believe it) who look at my head and think there is something wrong   - I do not (sorry) fucking care at all..! :D

Dear BaldnBald and HonestDiscussion( HD).

What ever you do, I really hope for you, that you will feel great in your future, like I do!  ;)

bye,

Trendy

Ill happily inform you, your wrong and thats the best use for this procedure. The less hair, the better. If you have so little, easily add some dots into your little light patch to match up. The less hair you have, the less blending making a much more uniformed look.

I appreciate your perspective and even think you may be right. I suppose that's why I'm still on the forums and not ruled this out yet. I still think that I would have to do the whole head or as I said earlier there would be dots where the smp was and nothing where the wet shave was. I'm not sure how confident I am in an smp looking authentic over the entire head. I guess the other alternative would be to wet shave before going to bed at night. It seems around 10 to 12 hours the follicles can start to be seen and would blend with the smp.

Lots of interesting points brought up on here...and even from people that haven't gotten the treatment done...and theyre already thinking of this stuff

I believe it even says somewhere on the site that anywhere past norwood 5...the treatment is not recommended?

I remember reading that

Super hard to blend bare skin to horseshoe hairline...cant get rid of a line like that

Have to have "some" hair to blend perfectly

But if that's your case HonestDiscussion (HD)...do the laser hair removal trick prior??

But doesn't that take like a yr for permanent results? For no hair to ever comeback?

A whole yr of pricy sessions;S

And THEN you gotta pay for a whole head SMP treatment?;S

Youd be looking at $15K CAN$ most likely just for the SMP...nevermind the yr of laser hair removal prior.

Yikes

Maybe save ur cash and go buy a used C5 Corvette Z06 and a hat...and enjoy life with that! Ha

But for the other points...

SMP can blend flawlessly...its just some pics online or videos...the persons SMP aint dark enough or they don't shave close enough.

I see that all the time.

But when you use an electric foil shaver...its pretty damn good. Those people are using hair balding clippers?? Youll never get close enough with those.

Youll still have that 3D look of stubble and SMP;S Not a good look or a true representation of this whole SMP.

Foil shaver is best (NOT rotary shavers! They can cut up ur head and back of neck real good)...cause you can put a lil pressure into it with a foil shaver..and it pushes the

skin down and cuts the hair..leaving the hair cut under the skin a touch.

But you don't get ingrown hairs.

Cant do that with a razor against the grain.

And when you shave either way..its true that you cant even see hair follicles anymore..but having the SMP done which is a lil more distinct dots..it still looks great.

Cause it looks like the hair is almost growing outta the skin..maybe 24 hrs of growth? So having faded dots on top and maybe on the sides (temple area) doesn't look

weird. It just looks like you have thicker darker hair follicles on top...and front temples...and lighter less thick hair on the sides and back?? Which is totally fine

Cause when you look at ur own surface area of ur entire scalp...ur hair density and thickness is not 100% perfect consistency all over ur head??

Theres darker parts, lighter parts, more dense, less dense. So having dots on top and sides and bit of the back...looks great!

Who wants dark thick dots on their sideburn area?...and over their ears?...and back of head all the way down to their neck?

And with the continual balding issue...Id maybe wait till ur balding kinda balances out and pretty much stops for awhile. If ur losing ur hair lots and every yr that goes by youre

looking pretty different...ur not ready for this yet. Let the balding do its thing...and then get the SMP done. Its gotta be kinda stabilized. But its no big deal to get touch

ups for that?? Thats easy for them. I could do that myself at home if I had their nice pure black ink (proper shade) and a 3 round needle.

I believe it even says somewhere on the site that anywhere past norwood 5...the treatment is not recommended?

I remember reading that

Super hard to blend bare skin to horseshoe hairline...cant get rid of a line like that

Have to have "some" hair to blend perfectly

Interesting wasn't aware of this.

I think there are plenty of reasons to keep the stubble look.  Maybe they don't care if its not 100% undetectable.  Maybe they don't want to
bother shaving their head every day.  Maybe they have an unflattering shaped head and stubble helps soften the lines.  Maybe their hair shaved to the bone is so light it would be barely noticeable if they got the SMP to match.  Bottom line for me, I would rather look like a bald guy that had something done to <5% of people then to be the bald guy to 100% of people.  Its not like there is anyone that believes the makeup women put on is real.  To be honest I can't remember any complaints here besides people who went too dark or people with naturally dark hair and their practitioner was too aggressive with the shade.  Just about any other problem it seems HIS can fix the issue relatively easily.

Thanks to all the replies.  I've never read the Norwood 5 or more warning, and I think Honda speaks from experience that less hair = easier blending and that has always been my perception of it.  There is someone named Magnus on the site with pics and a video, his hair is way light, but it looks really natural.  Hair just frames the face, and even a shadow of hair on someone with a full head that chooses to shave still frames the face however subtle it is.  True if you shave to skin you have to go lighter, thats a given for sure, but just seems to me the end result, however more subtle, would be wayyyyyy more believable and less noticeable.  

I guess hearing talk about having to shave it at certain times, or on a schedule, worrying about blending at the crown, which was the biggest giveaway I saw in person on the few I saw, and just the eye picking up on the difference in height between stubble on sides and bare skin on the top... all these things bring back that stress I had when I first started going bald.  Thinking about it all the time, worrying about it all the time.  And as far as people not worrying about the 5% of people who notice, there are plenty of posts on here of people panicking cause someone noticed, and so yeah it matters. 

Regardless, there is no wrong answer, its just something that always concerns me when I see people going so dark to match stubble.... all I'm thinking is what they heck are you going to do when your Norwood 2 or 3 turns into a 5 in a few years and instead of a subtle horseshoe you're going to have a sharp one where you have nothing on top.  I mean you have to live for today, but you can't forget about tomorrow at the same time.

Interesting wasn't aware of this.

Sorry Honest Discussion... I missed this previously - Ian Watson was a Norwood 7 and a great example of what can be achieved even for extremely receded heads - in reference to the comment regarding SMP not being recommended for anyone above Norwood 5. Not disputing that it might appear on the literature of a less confident or experienced clinic - just not on HIS. 

I'm glad Ed replied to this (ps where's Damien? I've not posted on here for a while...first look today ahead of my touch-up on Thurs...) I'm not a Norwood 7 but that's utter rubbish - whoever said it above - that the treatment is no good to someone in that situation. When I had my SMP done three years ago, there was a guy (Norwood 7) whose final result was the best I'd ever seen on here. It was much easier for him than, for instance, me to maintain the 'look' because he didn't have to worry about regrowth.

My experience of this is: the less hair you have the better. If you still have a fair bit, as I do, you need to wet shave every day to maintain the perfect look.

HD,

Where the horse shoe from being bald ends and the SMP blends into it and through it to fade into your natural hair.  It just seemed to not blend seemlessly, not so much in density, but color.  Well density as well.  When SMP is beside SMP it looks normal cause everything around is is the same.  When it gets to the real hair, it allows your eyes to compare, and that was where I saw the difference.  Someone like yourself, who is so light, will probably not have to worry.  I'm a little darker, kind of dirty blonde with darker hairs sprinkled in.  Thats why I'm getting it lasered off.  If I can get a smooth scalp, and ever meet someone in person and really look it over, I would go for the Magnus look, just all over my head.

To clarify,

I did meet people in person at the open house, Chicago.  But I want to meet someone, walk outside in natural light, really look at it, closely.  At the open house I met a few but I just wanted to see more.  Most of the people had stubble mixed in as well.  I want to meet someone who shaves that has had it done.

HD,

Where the horse shoe from being bald ends and the SMP blends into it and through it to fade into your natural hair. It just seemed to not blend seemlessly, not so much in density, but color. Well density as well. When SMP is beside SMP it looks normal cause everything around is is the same. When it gets to the real hair, it allows your eyes to compare, and that was where I saw the difference. Someone like yourself, who is so light, will probably not have to worry.

I'm guessing that's why you never see to many pics from behind. That's a deal breaker for me. If it doesn't blend seamlessly from ever angle it's not worth it for me. I don't think my follicles being light will eliminate the problem for me. It probably will present the same problem or even worse. Because my horseshoe shadow is very light and the follicles minuscule it will not look right if there's smp dots up top and in the crown then just a shadow where my natural hair grows. I guess I could go for the whole head but I've heard more than once that leads to a helmet look. Although I will admit I don't how accurate that statement is.

Look at the few on here from guys who had alopecia totalis and areata.  I question the helmet look.

People get their side burns done all the time on here, so either it looks ok on the sides (which your back is just a side) or it does not.  As far as the helmet, again I think it goes to people going too dark.  I truly feel like the majority of the issues I see people having could have been remedied in part by going lighter, and shaving their head.. all the way and matching that.  The darker just looks .. well it does look like a helmet, but I think its the darkness not the amount they had or location. 

At its best SMP performs a magical Jedi-like mind trick that makes a viewers brain not notice it at all. It just looks normal so not worth closer examination. That is not to say a HIS SMP does not stand up to close scrutiny - David1963 shared his experience of a medical professional studying his scalp and being surprised when he told her about his treatment. But its trick is in looking so normal that people just look you in the eye like they do with non-bald men.

So I guess I am inclined to agree with BaldnBald that a lighter finish is more likely to achieve that trick... but I dispute the treatment has to look like a helmet if too dark and there have been clients who chose to have their horseshoe removed by laser in favour of a complete SMP.  Not that I haven't seen plenty of "helmets" produced elsewhere (at least one of them was purple - can you imagine!!?).

Ed,

I'm not saying all the darks look like helmets, but in the cases that do, the dark color seems to be what gives me that perception. 

Seems like people pick a color to match stubble.. then they realize that the blending is tougher so they shave, then the top is darker... and if you shave your head, there is no fade, its pretty even.

I didn't start this post as a SMP hating thread.  I really think its awesome, I just also think way too many people go too dark and I wanted to bounce it off the community and see what others think.

Too many newbies stressing and over thinking the procedure which is to be expected as I did the same, all I can say is 'take the jump' and do it!

It doesn't matter what nw level you are the technician will scatter the pigment through your existing hair to blend it in.

The best way I can describe it is imagine taking your car to the body shop to paint a new wing, now any painter worth his salt will blow the new paint into the door to blend the colour seamlessly not just paint the wing and hope it matches, now if you where an ocd freak then you 'could' paint the whole car but why the hell would you for cost and practicality purposes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was the one who mentioned 'past' Norwood 5 the treatment might not be recommended...(Norwood 6 or 7)

Didn't quite elaborate enough in detail, sorry

And I didn't mention that I personally don't believe that is true anyways

I remember this clinic...not any other clinic...cause I never contacted any other clinic...sent me an email with that info prior to my 1st session

That the practitioner during your 1st consultation/session...MIGHT not recommend it or make you aware that it MAY not match 100% flawless...depending how balding you are...MIGHT and MAY

Shouldve put MIGHT and MAY in my first posting, sorry

It was a generic email with even Norwood scale cartoon type images to help you figure out for yourself

Along with another generic email to customers with prior and after treatment info/what to expect

Aint inventing this off the top of my head, ha

Obviously don't have that email...or I could've showed it

Changed email addresses while ago

That was a while ago though...maybe 1.5 yrs ago now

This site and the info changes constantly...every 6 months things are changed

I just looked up the FAQ's section...and read in the "How Long Will SMP last?" part...

8-15 yrs?

Went I got my sessions started Jan 2015 through until the summer 2015...the info was 3-5 yrs for touch-ups?

Now its 8-15?

So the email I got...and pretty sure it was on the site too (before its been changed over and over)...about the MIGHT and MAY

It was there before...just saying

Not imagining this, ha

Im still young...NOWHERE NEAR BEING OLD, ha, so don't have any mental issues, ha;P

Cause I was a lil bit worried about being turned away possibily?

But I was nowhere balder than all the other guys in the videos on this site and youtube?

Thinned out top and temples

So didn't really pay much attention to that info

If youre a Norwood 6 or 7 you MIGHT or MAY be made aware that it is difficult to blend 100% flawlessly and perfectly (that was the statement before)

That's all I was trying to say earlier

Sorry if that screwed anyone up

I personally believe the Norwood scale sucks!...and is completely useless in trying to determine if SMP will work for you

It doesn't show anywhere good enough variations in hair loss.

It shows basically NO THINNING of hair on top whatsoever??...or sides??

It only shows dark thick hair...and then FULLY bald circles??...and fully receding hairline?

Theres TONS of people that have almost a full head of hair appearance....just receding a bit and thinning on top and maybe temples

But Norwood scale shows none of these variations

So you could be KINDA Norwood 6 or 7...but still have hair in those balding areas...just bit thinner than ur darker surrounding hair...NOT TOTALLY skin bald in those areas

Does that technically make you a Norwood 6 or 7??...if ur not skin bald in those areas? I don't think so

So just go to the clinic for a consultation and ask them prior that youd like them to show you pics of VERY bald people with SMP...before and afters

I think even a technically speaking Norwood 7 with totally bald skin and horseshoe hairline would be just fine for SMP...even the back!..will blend in pretty darn well

If Jean-Luc Picard of the USS Enterprise got SMP done...he'd look pretty damn good with it! Ha

And that's about as hardcore bald as you can get

When you got stubble...you cant expect miracles of 100% perfect flawless matching??

Youre asking too much

You HAVE TO keep up the foil shaving at least every 2 days MAX..for a perfect look..period

And the company is very clear about that

Theyre not performing some magical technique on ur head where stubble is gonna match a flat tattoo of hair follicles??

When you keep up the shaving..as told..you will look great!...even if youre the Captain of the Enterprise! Ha

I've had SMP for 7 years now and I wet shave to the skin, with a razor, daily and it matches perfectly.

I had the hairline broken up around 18 months back and the 'after' images below are from a few months after that.

vince-2016.png

For larger images see here: http://forum.hishairclinic.com/topic/5822-5-years-later-time-for-a-change-updated-new-pictures-of-broken-hairline/page-2#entry70155

Sorry if you already mentioned this in your other posts/updates vince...but what shade did you use for this new 5 yr top-up?

I read in your other updates you had 16 and 14 done originally

But what about this last session...did you stay at 14 again...or go with 12?...

One of the best jobs Ive seen

Your new hairline is perfect...cause its not perfect anymore...its natural...making it perfect

Im gonna do the same eventually..when I get tired of the "edge-up" look myself

The whole thing is perfect, period

AND cause you shave regularly

I don't see how anyone can have a legitimate argument or doubts in thinking that someone with lots of hair loss cant have SMP match them 95%-99.99%, ha

I left 0.01% for the people that say nothing is perfect;P

All your previous posts/updates with great pics are absolute proof when things are done right

1 session at a time...easy does it

I wouldn't trust any other company for those kind of results

ONLY HIS

Too scary to even think about;S ha

I've had SMP for 7 years now and I wet shave to the skin, with a razor, daily and it matches perfectly.

Vince yours looks sick man.  You are exactly what I'm talking about.  It looks like a shadow, like a shaved head should.  Awesome.  You did it right IMO.  I see you are in the UK, I need to meet someone similar to you in person.  I gotta see it up close in the harsh lights.  So many pics on here (not yours, yours were crisp and clear) are blurry and people talk about how good it looks and all I'm thinking is man, I can't tell what it looks like.  I'm all about lifting someone up, but if I can't tell then I can't tell I don't wanna tell them it looks awesome if it doesn't and they get another procedure at that same color and make it worse. 

Anyways, yours is spot on. 

I had the hairline broken up around 18 months back and the 'after' images below are from a few months after that.

vince-2016.png

For larger images see here: http://forum.hishairclinic.com/topic/5822-5-years-later-time-for-a-change-updated-new-pictures-of-broken-hairline/page-2?do=findComment&comment=70155

Wow this is what I'm talking about lol This is why I'm still here and still considering this treatment. This is probably one of the best one's I've seen and the type of result I'm looking for. If I can get this result I'm sold. Congratulations Vince. Really happy for you. I'm guessing you can't even tell from inches away even staring and looking for it right? Thanks for posting these pictures.