Sign in to follow this  
BaldnBald

Not shaving to skin

The dots look tiny. Really impressed. Did the practitioner go out of his way to make them small as possible? I would probably pay extra money to break it down into more sessions(shorter sessions)just to insure the practitioner was never fatigued so I could make sure to get as tiny dots as possible.

I'm starting to believe that this treatment has substantial versatility. The gold standard is still and will probably always be a wet shave but my experience is showing good evidence that even going far from this can work. I have terrible HT scarring in back and after trying the camo route have no choice but to grow the hair out in back. My every 24 to 48 hour buzzing regimen, while complex, takes about 5 minutes. I went for a receded somewhat subtle application. Yes I have a friar tuck look from the back but overall I am dealing with a massive improvement from where I was. In my head I try to think of my look as a kind of filled in Stathamesque type one with a much less good looking face.

Over the past two months I have been out in public hatless many times and even went to one formal event with people who have known me for 20 years. I keep expecting the bouncing looks up to my hairline like when I had the grown out HT but it just isn't happening yet. Everyone just looks me in the eye so far. Even the ones who've known me for years might give an initial glance with a comment that I've shaved my head and then all eye contact.

I am sure you guys and people who are on the lookout for smp would hose me out but thankfully it is not something that is on the level with rugs and HT as far as general knowledge yet. Someday it will probably happen most likely and I've already decided I will just come clean to that observant person and give them the whole unhappy history. But still, so far I am almost amazed at the lack of attention I get from this. Hopefully this will continue. Time will tell.

Bottom line - getting the right treatment level from a good artist goes a long way towards this treatment having the potential to work for a variety of situations.

I'm not convinced this procedure works on extreme Norwood 7's like myself who try to match a wet shave. Reason being when I freshly wet shave no follicle can be seen. Just that grayish outline. An Smp wouldn't match in my opinion because the dots are clearly visible and even a little larger than the real hair follicles (that don't even show after a wet shave for me at least) Not hating on His or Smp's. I've seen some really good results on this site. Although I'm too paranoid to risk messing up what is an okay wetshave look with an smp that might not result in something truly undetectable and natural. Again I'm really impressed with a lot of the results I've seen in pictures and videos on here. I just don't think it will work for extreme Norwood 7's like myself who have no follicles appearing after a wetshave.

I have no follicles when I wet shave either, but the treatment can be made to work by tapering the dots (density and size) towards the back and side of the scalp. The look requires covering a slightly larger area with SMP (your practitioner will have to go deep into your "horseshoe") but it's a very realistic look.

I shave with a remington r91 to get a sandpaper feel, and it does leave a tiny amount of hair. I think guys with thicker existing hair are better off wet shaving.

Ed,

I'm not saying all the darks look like helmets, but in the cases that do, the dark color seems to be what gives me that perception. 

Seems like people pick a color to match stubble.. then they realize that the blending is tougher so they shave, then the top is darker... and if you shave your head, there is no fade, its pretty even.

I didn't start this post as a SMP hating thread.  I really think its awesome, I just also think way too many people go too dark and I wanted to bounce it off the community and see what others think.

... to be fair BaldnBald I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just making the point that an SMP that looks like a helmet is one that has gone wrong... they have either overcooked density or got the shade too dark, or both!  It's a personal view but I agree with you that less is more when it comes to shade - I know some have posted here describing their dark SMP as "popping" - for me it is all about subtlety and that magical business of giving the subconscious eye nothing to look at.

To be clear then, I saw your excellent post as a valid warning to client's who might mistakenly encourage their practitioner to go a shade or few darker than their instincts, training and experience are telling them.  Take 3 sessions, trigger the HIS guarantee and you can be certain you will get to the right shade... in stages (as Lt Col Kojak said on a recent post.. you can't suddenly choose to go lighter without laser)

Cheers

Ed

I'm not convinced this procedure works on extreme Norwood 7's like myself who try to match a wet shave. Reason being when I freshly wet shave no follicle can be seen. Just that grayish outline. An Smp wouldn't match in my opinion because the dots are clearly visible and even a little larger than the real hair follicles (that don't even show after a wet shave for me at least) Not hating on His or Smp's. I've seen some really good results on this site. Although I'm too paranoid to risk messing up what is an okay wetshave look with an smp that might not result in something truly undetectable and natural. Again I'm really impressed with a lot of the results I've seen in pictures and videos on here. I just don't think it will work for extreme Norwood 7's like myself who have no follicles appearing after a wetshave.

Maybe everyone is a bit different, but I assure you when I shave my existing here down to the bone and you are looking up close you can see the individual dots.  If you find my old threads I once even posted a picture of the side of my head freshly shaved, nicks of fresh blood and all as evidence.  The unclose shot shows that freshly shaved hair does indeed look like individual dark dots.

Again, I'm not sure if that varies due to hair color or density.  I do sometimes see bald guys who's horseshoes are even difficult to see and wonder if SMP would not work for them.  But if you can see the grey of the horseshoe its thousands of dots causing that, not just s grey smear.

Maybe everyone is a bit different, but I assure you when I shave my existing here down to the bone and you are looking up close you can see the individual dots. If you find my old threads I once even posted a picture of the side of my head freshly shaved, nicks of fresh blood and all as evidence. The unclose shot shows that freshly shaved hair does indeed look like individual dark dots.

Again, I'm not sure if that varies due to hair color or density. I do sometimes see bald guys who's horseshoes are even difficult to see and wonder if SMP would not work for them. But if you can see the grey of the horseshoe its thousands of dots causing that, not just s grey smear.

I agree. You can see tiny tiny TINY little follicles on my head after a wet shave. But they are so small I don't think they would match properly with smp dots when looked at closely. Perhaps I'm wrong but I'm thinking for someone with lighter hair like myself (light brownish) it would be really difficult to blend it. Maybe 10 hours after a wetshave might match better when the follicles are a tad more visible and ever so slightly more pronounced. I'm not sure.If I can get a light treatment that can mimic the barely visibility of the follicles after a fresh wetshave I will get this done. I would love that shadow to be distributed evenly over my head to erase the horseshoe and also frame the face. With that said I don't hate the way my wetshave looks now. I have a fairly okay head shape and lift weights so it looks decent especially the older I get. I don't want to risk messing that up with an smp that could look even just slightly off if examined closely. I fully understand most people won't notice even if it is "off" a little bit and for a lot of people getting this done they are okay with that. To be clear I'm not saying that's the case and that a lot of smps are "off" a little bit. But in my particular case with my Norwood and hair color I would really want it to blend pretty close to flawlessly up close. If it couldn't I think I would actually be happier with the light horseshoe I have. Again I've seen tons of really good results here. So I don't want to come off negative at all. Hope everyone is doing okay and I appreciate the discussion. Take care.

It's cool Honest, it's a huge decision and you're doing your research. That's how you should do it. Most of us researched smp for a long time before going through with it.

My treatment has faded to the point that the smp matches completely shaved follicles the best. In fact after half a day when the hair has started to grow I feel like is the time if someone looked closely and was paying attention they'd notice something was up. That's why I shave 2 times a day on average.

The dots are ever so slightly bigger...that's the reality. But only noticeable to someone who knows what they're looking for.

Yes honest it can.  12 hours after wet shaving people just looking at me will still not detect anything.  Unless they really came up to my head and purposely focused, they might notice the sides have grown out a tiny bit and the top hasnt.  I'd say 12 hours in the real give away would be the feel test.  Again if someone rubbed your head at that point and were paying attention to the sensations they might notice the top feels smooth and the sides have that rough hair growing out feel.  That is why I like to keep it shaved 2-3 times a day.  (personal choice, some shave once every couple days. As a norwood 7 I'd say you have to ATLEAST shave daily.)

But you'll look fine.

I was a norwood 7.  You had also asked in another thread what shade I went with.  My practitioner use multiple shades depending on what part of my head he was doing.  The lightest was 40 around the hairline.  Down to the darkest being 16.  With 32, 20 and 18 in between.

Wow this is what I'm talking about lol This is why I'm still here and still considering this treatment. This is probably one of the best one's I've seen and the type of result I'm looking for. If I can get this result I'm sold. Congratulations Vince. Really happy for you. I'm guessing you can't even tell from inches away even staring and looking for it right? Thanks for posting these pictures.

Fck me that looks so good. Yet i see atleast half of the procedure who have this weird look on it

It mostly seems to me that people who match it to a wetshave get a much better result than those who try to match it to a very short buzz.

Like someone has said the eyes are very good at noticing subtle things like that.

Actually, the eyes notice nothing... it is the brain - and the brain is really bad at noticing things... or we would all be Sherlock Holmes. I can think of two incidents reported on here where medical professionals were examining a scalp with SMP and had to be told by our client it was a treatment when they were told growing their hair out might help with a skin condition.  Nobody is suggesting that a trained medic cannot tell an SMP from the real thing from a few inches away, just that if it does not ring an alarm bell in their brain it does not get noticed.

We get confused between how we see ourselves, particularly our perceived shortcomings, and how the world sees us.

We get confused between how we see ourselves, particularly our perceived shortcomings, and how the world sees us.

Kind of like when you buy a car.  You never noticed how many cars like yours were on the road, then you buy one and suddenly you see them everywhere.  I suppose to the normal person, a head tattoo is not even something that would ever enter their mind.. so as they look at you they see shadow of hair.. and their eyes move on.  Makes sense.

I think Ed makes a good point. I also think I can be considered a bit of a guinea pig on pushing the boundaries on this. I'm still waiting for a strange look or the eye flickering to my hair and it's just not happening. And to me its pretty damn obvious despite admitting that I kinda like my look. I almost want to look at it as a sort of challenge and see when I'm going to get hosed out.

I'm not going to push smp. For me it was a way to try and move past the disfigurement of HT from years ago. If I had virgin scalp I'd probably just shave my head if I could live my life over. But if you go subtle with a broken hair line with a good artist this can be a winning situation if u are uncomfortable with just letting your baldness stand.

If I start getting weird looks or questions I'll let u all know but I would not sweat the detectability issue with regard to some hair growth too much. You guys without HT scars have it way better than me with my buzzer gymnastics and unless you get stuck on an island without a razor will stay well within the hair growth limits I have to have to keep the scars from being an eye magnet freak show.