Sign in to follow this  
Hairmeout

Help! Excited but getting more Apprehensive

Hi I had to edit my post to obey the forum guidelines.  Sorry I am new to this.

When I first found out about SMP all the initial research was pointing towards his hair clinic as THE place to have your SMP procedure done. I figured how could you go wrong with the company that started it all and then fine tuned it over 13 years? I am from LA and was happy that there was a clinic in my area so I jumped in with both feet.

I went ahead and booked the consultation asap. When I went in for the in person consultation it seem to be a very short whirlwind discussion and when I left I didn't feel really confident that I knew what to expect from them or if they knew what I wanted. I tried to express that what I was looking for what was an overall buzzed head and scruff look and not a wet shave look and where I wanted my new hairline to be. I was told it was a very bad idea to try and get SMP with a lower hairline and then try and go for a buzz look by growing out existing hair that was receding and that the company wouldn't do something that made them look bad. I understand this and accept it and wouldn't grow it out but I am seeking to know what to do to replicate the density and darkness of a buzz cut (not the length obviously ) but still shaving at a zero. Their website says that they can do a 3-D look and many of their pictures that they posted and videos look like a buzz cut and not the wet shaved head look I wish to avoid. I really want to be able to have the illusion like there's hair there right below the surface and when I shave my existing hair on my head it looks way to light for me and still way too bald for this kind of investment. So I am hoping that they can apply a darker shade or more density then my natural hair but do it all over my entire head so that it blends and looks really great and natural. 

After my consultation even though I still had questions when I left I booked the treatment asap because they were "booked out straight for months". While I have awaited my treatment I watched every single video on their site. I began to notice that there was only a handful of them that I personally thought looked really really good for what I wanted for the money of 4K, I have seen some on the forums that look great. On the website I felt like either it was too light or the hair line was too straight or the dots didn't look defined enough (just a grey shade etc.) for my desired look. I had seen some photos online I liked but were not HIS patients. Even though I had already put $400 down for my procedure I began to become apprehensive and started to question my decision.  I have recently seen a bout of bad reviews on this forum about customer service and follow up and it's making me nervous. I've already invested the money into this appointment but it is only 1/10 of the amount that it will cost in the end. 

I can honestly say that I'm still excited but very nervous about going through with my procedure at HIS and am thinking a lot about other options that are out there for me. I am posting on here seeking advice from any of you out there that could help. Can I get an unbiased opinion from whoever will chime in about what I'm experiencing and whether to move forward? What I want to do is to go through with my appointment have a great experience and move on with life but I'm just so nervous that it may not be that simple. I'm also nervous to question the practitioners because I don't want to offend or have them think I don't think they are going to do a great job. I think they can do a great job I just am not as confident as I want to be at this late in the game. If something goes wrong I will be kicking myself for not holding off.  I have another consultation this week in person to try and get some answers and some confidence back but would love to hear from members of the forum before going in. Hopefully I have followed the rules this time. Thanks everyone. I have attached photos of my current condition.

•  

post-303148-0-30645000-1445907186_thumb.jpg

post-303148-0-30984700-1445907187_thumb.jpg

post-303148-0-12448300-1445907188_thumb.jpg

post-303148-0-15680300-1445907189_thumb.jpg

post-303148-0-00522300-1445907190_thumb.jpg

I'm no expert, so take my advice for what it's worth. If you want a non-receded hairline (where your hairline was at age 15, say) and you want a buzz cut, don't get SMP. Because that's impossible-- SMP is just 2 dimensional ink and can't be 3D. 

Also if you want that, give up, because there's nothing that will give you that. Unless you want to wear some sort of a wig, glue some of Hating Hats genetically modified hairy rats on your scalp, or slice open the back of your head, remove the hair follicles, and implant them on your forehead. And even then, that probably won't work and you'll have a big scar for your troubles.

If, however, you want the illusion of a full head of shaved hair, definitely get SMP. That's what I have, and it's changed my life. It's awesome. 

As for the treatment being too light for your tastes, I believe they can give you darker ink, within reason, and may even go darker (outside of reason) if you sign a release form absolving them of responsibility if it looks fake. Although that might not be true. i seem to remember Hating Hats went super dark. you might want to check out his thread. 

Check out Cheeky Chops thread, too. From what I remember, he had some hair left on top, like you, and got a fantastic result. 

Anyway, I know it's a big decision and you should weigh all your options, but you can sit back forever considering things and never do anything. I'd suggest you go for it. It's been great for me. 

Hey Mr Hairwin! Tell me more about the genetically modified hairy rats! That sounds cutting edge and is worth giving a serious consideration. How many sessions of GMO hairy rats does it take to get a full head of fur? Lol. I really appreciate the feedback. I will take a look at both threads and see how I like the results. If I have to sign a waver that it's too dark and unnatural I feel like I have really gone to far. I am looking to have a nice darker shade but I do not want it to look fake. I'll take a look at the threads and post what my feelings with those results are. I am definately ok with the illusion of a shaved full head of hair at this point I am hoping it will be darker then my current shave. I am wondering if it's more a matter of density then pigment that I am looking for. Possibly if I had the density increase my true shade would look the way I want. The more I read the forums the more hope I have been getting that this will really work for me. Thanks for the reassurance and taking the time to post. In reading your history of posts I see we have the same clinic and same expertise so that makes me feel really great.

Glad to hear you're getting a consult! Please keep us updated on the forum as to your progress and ask any questions you might have. The forum is a great place and was very helpful to reassure me when I was considering it. Because let's be honest, when you first hear about SMP you think it's insane and no way could it be real. But the more you look into it, you realize it is. 

By the way, judging from your member photo, you have a nice strong jaw. You will look great with SMP. Maybe you'll finally have the confidence to take off your superhero mask. 

Toupee or Not Toupee that is the Question...

So here is part 2 of my story.  I am upstairs in my bathroom thinking..."How is this suppose to stay on here if it doesn't adhere to my head.  Oh ya I remember thanks to Amazon I was able to pick up some glue and tape, I had done my research you know so I knew I would need some way to stick this to my cone.  So I looked at the Glue and then back at the tape, and then back at the glue...Choose your poison.  As I read the label of the glue it said something like, "This glue is toxic and will probably kill you over time." So I says to myself, they just have to put that on there as a precaution, nothing is gonna happen to me, plus we all die anyway right? sometime? Yikes..So I open the bottle and I am greeted with a strong smell from hell that basically was like speaking to me saying, "I am the bringer of death and destruction." I figured if I just hold it a few feet away from my nose I won't breathe that nasty stuff in.  So I set the bottle down on my tiny counter space next to my sink and took a deep breath and looked in the mirror and thought, what the heck am I doing here...Almost like John Kusak in better off dead as he was contemplating ending it all.  I start shaving my head in the place where the system is going to go as I am crying and feeling really bad for myself...As I shave it off I think there is no going back now.

So I begin to think to myself, who the heck is going to cut this thing once I put it on my head....Am I just going to go down to the local Supercuts and say, "Can you cut my hair...but don't touch it, and don't lift it, and don't smell it, and definitely don't look at it ok."  As I ran through that in my mind I thought of all the excuses and explanations I could give. "Ya so I am in a local theater and they are making me wear this because I am going to be playing the opposite of Rapunzell." or, "I am not going bald like a normal bald, this is a medical condition that is different then that." or "I was in a bad accident so I am just wearing this until it heals." It hasn't healed yet.  So I thought guess I better ask my wife do it...as I am thinking about this I look down and I have knocked the bottle of glue over on the counter and it has spilled into the sink where my new found friend was. NO!!! My investment was being covered in glue all over the front hairline.  I panicked, I said a bad word or 10, and I was looking for my glue remover...Oh schnikeys I didn't buy that yet!  Oh man oh man what am I going to do??? At this time my little boy who has just been proudly potty trained knocks on our 1 bathroom door. "Dada poo poo....", YES dada is in a great deal of poo poo. Wifey chimes in "Your son needs to go potty, please open the door so he can go and get his sticker." "Umm can you take him to the neighbors, what ever happened to the good old fashion way our ancestors use to do it, can't he go in the grass or fertilize the compost pile?  So I scramble and grab the nearest wash cloth and place it on top of my head to cover the freshly shaved dome.  I threw my new love rat in the cupboard and put the lid on the empty glue bottle.  I open the door acting like nothing abnormal is going on. "Dada diaper head..." I hear in a soft innocent but deadly voice.  As my wife says, "What's going on?"  "Oh you know just washing my head and stuff, you know just so I don't get a build up of grease or things of that nature." I think that potty time was the longest I have ever witnessed in my life.  He was showing how he could go and wipe and wash his hands and get his sticker...."PLEASE HURRY UP" "WHY IN THE WORLD DID YOU NEED TO POTTY TRAIN."  I play it real cool like a Wrestlers armpit in midmatch....  Finally he is gone.  Thankfully I am smart and pull out the spare back up piece I ordered just in case of wind, or velcro, or other calamities.  I think I can fix that other one later.  I use what's left of the glue in the bottle and a few strips of clingy tape and stick it to my head.  Ok now I look cool, I have never had 6 inches of perfectly cut hair on my head.  Should I leave it like this? No one will know the difference right.  What should I do? Do I ask my wife to cut it? Do I throw on a hat and head to a stranger to cut my new locks????  stay tuned for part 3.

Where's part 3?? I'm intrigued to know what happens!

Thanks for sharing your story though, it definitely made me laugh out loud a few times. Nice to know its not just me getting caught in these awkward hair related situations

Part three of my three-part series.

I figured that I'd rather get this over with...my wife was going to find out anyway obviously and so I wanted to get her blessing and support and she was always good at cutting my hair (few hairs) all this time anyway so I decided to trust her with the information.

So I opened up the bathroom door a crack and said honey come here i've got something I want to show you. Mind you any other time I've been in the bathroom and told her I had something to show her I waited hours before I gave up that she was not going to show up. Lol. But I think that her curiosity with what was going on encouraged her to come to the door. When she came into the bathroom I said look it's the new me!! I flung off my hat thinking that she was going to gasp with exhilaration and have me hold her in arms. I was picturing something like in the movie gone with the wind (gone with the wind comes up later in my story but in a different context), but alas...

So she looked at me and started bursting out laughing. She couldn't contain herself she thought it was just so funny. I thought that this new hair was going to make me like Samson or Fabio not crusty the clown. So I said come on babes you don't like it? She said its different...translation "Who are you and what did you do with my Husband?"

So I asked her if she would just cut it before she made a judgment. She then gave me a really great haircut and when I looked in the mirror I thought wow this really does look good. I think that this is going to be worth it. She also said it looked great so I left the bathroom with confidence stuck to my head. This confidence lasted for about three days. I felt like the black Spiderman Tobey McGuire when he's walking down the street and all the girls are looking Yep That was me. For three days I was the shiznet... On the third night the magic happened. My wife was really digging the new look and everything was going just as planned...except Captain Glue and Sargeant sticky tape failed to stand post and protect me and deserted me. There is nothing more manly than trying to make a move when your perfect hair flips down in front of your face and dangles there like a Klingon being ejected from the enterprise. Just a second let me get this situated don't go anywhere. So I run to get reinforcement troops of glue and tape. When I get back to the action 3 hours later surprisingly there was no more action she was asleep. So I fall asleep after 3 more hours to the sweet smell of Failure and the color blue.

As I started back to work and seeing friends and family etc all of them thought that something was different but they couldn't quite put their finger on it and I wouldn't let them. You look younger they would say... did you get a haircut etc.

I was so pleased with how I looked and the response I got that I didn't care that I was spending so much time and effort making it look that way. I would spend hours glueing and taping and glueing and ripping off tape and dying my bottom hair to match my top hair that I hardly had time for anything else. I would wake up to put on my hair and by the time I got it on it would be bedtime and time to take it off again....ok I exaggerate.

I use to love to swim a lot and exercise a lot and was very active. I stopped swimming because I didn't want to be the guy that goes under the water and have my hair separate from my head so I would always tell people not to splash me etc, no I can't do a cannonball or swim under water. I felt like a dull piece of turd.

So many times I had close calls of being completely embarrassed by it. One time I stupidly went surfing thinking I had a good adhesion that day and I did a total wipe out, I felt the hairpiece hit the eject button and fly off my head (gone with the wind), for some very luck reason or God being merciful I swiped my hand through the water and grabbed it!!!! and stuck it back on my head before coming up for air. I will not come up for air until I find my hair!!!! So I'm thinking somebody had to have seen that and I start looking for proof that someone saw me. Someone pointing or laughing or taking a picture. I never know if someone saw me or not.

My life has really been inhibited by the time and maintenance and the fear of detection. But when I would take it off I would look at myself and not recognize myself and I couldn't bare (pun intended) the thought of being all bald. So I would unglue and glue again every 3-7 days. The longer I waited to reglue the more risk of movement up there.

Not to mention the itchy and scratchy show every day and being so irritated that you want to rip the system off your head. I almost gave up and shaved my head a few times but I didn't know about SMP. So I kept wearing this thing for 5 years!!

I finally came across this solution and didn't think it could be real or effective. I watched all the videos and saw the pictures and I have been genuinely impressed with the results but still somewhat apprehensive about how it will work for me. I am hopeful that I after my two sessions the next two weeks along with my third down the line if needed I can out this joke/nightmare behind me and just laugh at it being in the past and not my present. Here's to the next 2-6 weeks of treatments!!