ShawnL

Unacceptable Customer Service and Poor Result in SF

To be fair, I am not sure Shawn did raise a red flag... beyond a shortcoming in the customer care he received, which I trust has now been upgraded to the level we would have all wanted for him in the first place. He certainly highlighted the fact that the first treatment in a series of sessions is deliberately aimed at producing an effect that will fade, and sometimes significantly, before the second session. The degree of fading informs the shades of ink and density used in subsequent sessions... to achieve a perfect outcome.

That's my take at least. This board is here so everyone else can have theirs... I am certain you will find plenty of extremely satisfied clients from the San Fran clinic on here.

Best wishes

Ed

Shawn has there been any updates since your last post? I was debating on going to the SF clinic since it is local but you have raised a red flag here. Can you please post a recent clearer picture of the work John did. 

HIS at the SF clinic is an awesome practitioner who does amazing work. I'm currently on session 3 of 4 and couldn't be happier.

Hi, no this is certainly a red-flag situation.  I agree that the HIS practitioner is a professional- and that I had a pleasant call with customer service several days after my public complaint- but do not let that damage control effort discount everything else I said in this thread.  My complaint was not about an isolated incident- it was about a pattern of disrespect and condescending behavior or the part of the UK CS staff- and a failure on their part to agree with each other and/or the HIS practitioners on the expectations, procedures, and outcomes- I was being told very different things from different people about this procedure, the after-care, the expectations, the treatment plan, ect.

This is not a situation where my first session faded and helped determine other sessions.  This is a situation where I was told I would need 2 sessions, and was told my 3rd session was my last.  When it immediately faded I returned for a forth session and a month+ later its very faded.  Look at my before picture- I've got a LOT of hair compared to the subjects in the HIS BEFORE videos and pics.  I'm going to session #5 soon and I have no reason to believe there won't be a session 6 and 7 to follow- During my consultation with Zang, when my wallet was out, I was told likely 2.

Every session I have to take time off my business, chop out an entire day including transportation, and experience all the inconvenience associated with travel and having an infant and a business. HIS does not compensate me for this, or even show regard for how I was told I would be done quickly in a few sessions.  Because John is a nice guy doesn't mean I don't have to skin shave my head every day like HIS promised me I would not have to do.  

This is undoubtedly a red flag to be considered seriously- that is my opinion even after they figured out how to get one of their female UK CS reps to be nice to me and after I've booked another (yet another) session.  There are definitely problems with how HIS works that need to be addressed. 

@Hophead  Lets see a before picture of you and see if you're mostly bald.... I can see how mostly bald guys are ok with a tattoo all by itself regardless as they literally have no other choices.  I know beggars can't be choosers- and I'm not a beggar, I made it clear I was happier with my natural thinning hair than I would be over a skin fade with fake stubble- my treatment plan was about blending in the thinning- and it did not work.  I had like 75% of my hair left... (correct me if I'm wrong based on my before images) I think those of use who started out with some hair might have more expectations than just a shadow on our scalp.  These (leaving my hair at .5) were expectations HIS convinced me were something I could count on before I paid, in likely 2 sessions.  It's been 4 sessions and I look a lot balder than the day I walked in there (since shaving my head to skin is necessary now to not look ridiculous.) I'll let you know when I'm happier than the day I was before I began my treatment, because I'm certainly over 4k poorer. They got the money collection part right. 

This, compared to the pic of me taken at HIS before treatment, should give you an idea of why I am disappointed.  Even in mild light, a day of growth from skin, there is a very noticeable different between my hair and the smp (after 4 treatments)... and this is nowhere near my hair being worn at at a .5 clipper- which was what my decision hung on. 

As I said from the beginning, I have enough hair for it to look better natural and thinning than shaving it to skin having smp struggle to keep up the natural thick, black hair I have left- a half a day goes by after a skin shave and its obviously looking like a drawn on hairline up close.  The idea was to grow it to .5 and the smp was supposed to blend it in and make it appear natural.  I know that a lot of men who were mostly or completely bald on top may think this picture looks acceptable, even with all the visible inconsistencies by the receding hairline.  Maybe so, but not for a guy who took that other pic I posted. I was happier before. I could have easily skin faded my hair into what I had on top- I was trying to avoid skin.  That was the point. 

post-299542-0-50967000-1437435066_thumb.jpg

@Gainz 

I'm sorry mate, my house is lit- so you're seeing how it looks in the light. I could go outside but then it would be the sun's fault my smp fading is obvious. If this is normal I hope they start including this issue (or aspect of the treatment) in the promotional shtick and videos- about how after treatment you should make sure you are never anywhere with normal indoor or daytime lighting in order for it to look proper. I want to be positive about these treatments too guys- I spent the money, no one likes feeling like they're getting a lemon.  But my optimism won't allow me not to see the obvious demarcation in this picture or in the mirror.  I'm not going to brush my teeth by candle light, I want the treatment to look good under lit conditions.  

HIS told me they would be making good on this, I believe they are going to try.  Im this frustrated because I also know I've got a lot more procedure in front of me- a week at a time after each necessary treatment that I won't be able to properly exercise or run, which is my lifestyle.  I was not led to expect this level of disruption this many times in my life over this span of time.  I would not have agreed to it or paid for it had I known this was coming. Like I said, was happier before.  I will let you know what changes, and take pictures in various lighting when/if that time comes. 

Hey guys, Here's a follow up after 2 more treatments since my last comment.  The bottom line is, the HIS practitioner from SF has my glowing recommendation- he's professional, good at this specialized trade, honest, and understanding of the ups and downs in the process. I had a very bad experience with HQ, several in fact- and in the end, I was not able to achieve what I originally agreed upon- having SMP that effectively worked with my own natural hair shaved with a .5 length.

In the end we didn't achieve what was discussed in my consultation and all the way up to my procedure,  (before John even saw my head), and thats a big disappointment.   What helped make this better was e the practitioners  suggestion to go ahead and bring the hairline further down- to frame my face more- he also increased the density in the crown.  The practitioner also let me know that although my (6th?) session was to be my last, if I noticed any scalp pushing through or fading in the coming months, I could depend on him fixing it without paying more.  I have made my complaints clear already so I won't repeat them, but I believe the practitioner did the absolute best he could to satisfy me as a customer, and I can definitely live with the results (if they endure.)  Hopefully the negative parts of my experience as a customer will help HIS make some adjustments in communication with HQ.  Once again, the practitioner in SF - total co-sign- if you're in the area and want this type of procedure, go see him!  Shawn 

post-299542-0-87638300-1443839071_thumb.jpg

post-299542-0-68502900-1443839073_thumb.jpg

I'm glad you're happier with the results, and to ease your mind even more consider this...the amount of hair you had on top would have continued to thin and stop growing overtime. Eventually you'd have to rock the look you have now anyways. So you're just there sooner and thus are now set and can get use to a look you would have had to adopt anyways.

Can't take back the way customer service treated you, but what's important is your life with SMP. And that should be solid now.

It's a mistake to think 2d dots can match buzzed 3d hairs. And going darker to try to match 'em is an even bigger mistake.

The most realism you can get out of a hair tat, is shaved hairs (as in wet shave with razors) which are light colored along with light colored 2d dots. With the dots being as close as possible in size to the shaved follicle.  

This is a realistic goal  http://images.musictimes.com/data/images/full/13813/pitbull.jpg?w=775

This is a "you're gonna have a bad time" goal  http://i.imgur.com/BLVrv5hl.jpg

ps I wish this was on the front page of all smp businesses so people had realistic expectations from the very start   :)

I think part of the problem is we see too many photos of clients a week to 3 weeks after their last session.  When the pigments are still fresh and dark and give that more 3-d appearance and "pop" effect.  After a few months and the pigments have faded down you realize just how 2-d SMP is.  Thats why I insist on shaving ATLEAST once a day, often twice.

So if you are looking to gain a darker shade similar to those pictured after 1-3 weeks is that realistic? Would you go darker so that when it fades it will still pop when it settles?

No, it will look like a prison tattoo. Ive seen it in the flesh.

I think part of the problem is we see too many photos of clients a week to 3 weeks after their last session.  When the pigments are still fresh and dark and give that more 3-d appearance and "pop" effect.  After a few months and the pigments have faded down you realize just how 2-d SMP is.  Thats why I insist on shaving ATLEAST once a day, often twice.

Yes, thats the reason why so many come in and think they can have smp and use clippers with no guard once a week. Those buzz cut pics are misleading.

What I think is ideal http://www.hishairclinic.com/magnus-from-sweden-hair-loss-transformation-story/  Thats what shaved, full set of hair looks like.

This the smp "buzz cut" result after some months http://forum.hishairclinic.com/gallery/image/209-image/

There are so many buzz cut marketing pictures that look great. I prefer the second picture to the first personally and do not wish to have a wet shaved look. The marketing and videos make it appear that a number of clients are accomplishing a darker natural look while still shaving to a 0 grade. The wet shave look is too light on my skin type for my taste but works for some. Sown clients have obtained the look I desire, hopefully they can replicate it on me.

There are so many buzz cut marketing pictures that look great. I prefer the second picture to the first personally and do not wish to have a wet shaved look. The marketing and videos make it appear that a number of clients are accomplishing a darker natural look while still shaving to a 0 grade. The wet shave look is too light on my skin type for my taste but works for some. Sown clients have obtained the look I desire, hopefully they can replicate it on me.

Whatever makes you happy works. Im just taking about what looks realistic imo

So the OP's goal was to be able to have hair at 0.5mm?  Not exactly easy to measure hair....can someone put this in terms of trimmers/clippers?  I use an Andis T-outliner (factory/default blade and setting) and it's as close as I've gotten with anything without razor burn.  I had a Wahl (not balding) that was close but not as close, and it gave razor burns.  From what I understand the Andis is closer than the Wahl balding.  But again I don't know what the actual length is.

Anyways....if the OP was hinging his decision based on what his clippers can perform, then I'm in the same boat.  As far as I can tell, the results after shaving with the Andis look similar to SMP treatment photos (in areas I have hair of course).  Thus if HIS can achieve the same look with more coverage then I'm in....but if not I'd like to know up front because it may affect my decision.