LeafsFan

Do all your hair loss insecurities go away once you get your end result?

Hi all,

I've been a lurker on this forum for probably a year while I flip flop between wanting the treatment and then I see a post by someone who didn't blend well or had something go wrong on here. Then I'm back to being on the fence.

So my question is do all of your insecurities and concerns with regards to being bald go away once you've got your SMP treatment? If you shave or foil trim daily, are you completely confident in your appearance post-treatment? Specifically with regards to the result and psychological aspects involved with hair loss.

I have worn a hair system in the past, I used hair fibres as well. I was always a tad paranoid at times if people could spot what I had done or had on. So now I just buzz my head and have accepted my hair loss to a certain extent. I'm okay with things as they are but I've always wanted more shall I say. Enough so that I check this forum out daily and think that this treatment is really my only viable option left. I'm a diffuse thinner so no hair transplant for me.

When I schedule a consultation in Toronto with HIS. Will the guys there be able to show me photos of the treatments they've done so I can be comfortable with my practitioner?

Yes i am completely confident.

The biggest buzz is if ever you are suited and booted and a guest at a function for example. Maybe a wedding and you are stood chatting and drinking with a group you barely know and 2,3 or 4 of these guys youve just met are norwood 6/7s. You really stand out, you are firmly out of the bald camp.

Go for it, youve wasted too much time already. my friend.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have no mental issues or anything like that. I just want a bit more out of my appearance. Since I've lost most of my hair I've been less social and don't like the totally bald look. I'm hoping for a Vin Diesel type look, very subtle and light. But there is an appearance of "hair".

I just think it would do wonders for my appearance if done right. These responses sure make it seem like it has for others as well.

Time to reach out to HIS about a consultation!

feel 1000 times better and given me a life I havnt had in 30 yrs - still a little insecurity tho , I think after 30 yrs you are always going to have some mental scaring - I was a n/w7 with massive horseshoe and I still avoid looking at the back of my head although im asured it looks good .

So my question is do all of your insecurities and concerns with regards to being bald go away once you've got your SMP treatment? If you shave or foil trim daily, are you completely confident in your appearance post-treatment? Specifically with regards to the result and psychological aspects involved with hair loss.

There are tons of threads here where people report having no concerns after SMP, a lot of threads where people report being pleased, but with occasional concerns, and a few where people say they are unsatisfied with lots of concerns.  So the answer to your question is 'maybe'.

Like any cosmetic procedure, there is an element of risk which should be taken into account... but based on the amount of positive feedback on the forum, the odds are in your favor that it will be successful.  Similarly, there are pros and cons to this treatment, just like with anything.

I fall into the middle category, i suppose... generally pleased with how it looks, but it can look worse and more bald looking if my head is sweaty/wet/oily.  I dont like for people to see me when it's shiny, so if i am sweating/wet/oily and dont want to mess with applying antishine (or if it isn't feasible to put on) i will often wear a hat.  Other than that, i dont usually feel self conscious about it when i am out.

If you are already shaving your head, then that takes one of the biggest cons out of the equation... since going from long hair to a shaved head can be quite a hurdle for some people.  There's still a pretty big difference between a 0 guard and shaved all the way down, though, so if you aren't shaving it all the way down i would suggest doing so a few times so you get an idea of what it looks/feels like. 

The good thing is that if you shave it all the way down with an electric razor, and then smudge dark grey eyeshadow on your head, you will get an extremely close replica of what SMP will look like on you.

When I schedule a consultation in Toronto with HIS. Will the guys there be able to show me photos of the treatments they've

done so I can be comfortable with my practitioner?

It's possible, but I wouldn't count on it.  Your best bet will be to find out who will be doing your treatment, and then research them on the forum.

Ever since going thin was pointed out to me i have not been the same, 5 years later and all of the dates, parties and holidays that i missed i can never have back but when i think of having smp done it just makes me feel like i wont miss any of those 3 things again.

so when i have it done i think i will be able to go back to the old me, maybe have some insecurities that are just normal and not this wierd one that has me constantly calculating pictures at different levels and angles to hide the wierd forehead.

Work on these insecurities. Go to the gym, get muscular, find a hobby... being muscular is one of the best things you can do if you're -phisically- insecure.

Or you can just enjoy any sports activities. it greatly helped me 5 years back, when I took a 1-year ticket to fitness club. It changed me as a person, as I became more cheerful and easy-going. Also knowing I can make a tatoo helped me through years. 

If a person has BALDNESS issues, yes, this solution can banish them. If a person has self-esteem issues in general, no cosmetic treatment will make that go away. Even men who look like Channing Tatum can have issues with confidence.

SMP helps you to stand tall and proud, and not worry about one particular aspect of your appearance that you're not happy with.

If a person has BALDNESS issues, yes, this solution can banish them. If a person has self-esteem issues in general, no cosmetic treatment will make that go away. Even men who look like Channing Tatum can have issues with confidence.

SMP helps you to stand tall and proud, and not worry about one particular aspect of your appearance that you're not happy with.

But I am more handsome than Channing Tatum.  Where is the love at this site? ;)

Joking aside LeafsFan, the answer is yes, for the most part, proper SMP that is of the correct density and shade will make most of the baldness concerns go away. There are rare days where I wake up early to shave my scalp and just wish I had f@#$%#! hair like Brad PItt but most of the time, it is not something that my mind wanders towards these days. Unfortunately with male pattern baldness, much of the stress you place on yourself mentally is in reaction to jokes or piss talking from others. And if SMP fools them or quiets down the occasional loud mouth, then the stress you place on yourself is greatly reduced. Which means you worry about it a great deal less and can get on to more important things, like getting your confidence back which then gets you laid. :)

It made my baldness concerns go away for sure. Well, most of the time anyway. I still look bald sometimes lol, but that's better than it looking fake.

What does bring back my insecurities though is this media attention on SMP due to HIS trying to advertise the treatment. If it gets much more widespread I would seriously consider getting it lasered off no matter how good it looks. No one wants to be "that guy with the tattoo on his head".

Work on these insecurities. Go to the gym, get muscular, find a hobby... being muscular is one of the best things you can do if you're -phisically- insecure.

Yes! To be honest with you getting a good physique is maybe more important than the SMP. In the summer when I'm out in a tank top I actually feel like no one is looking at my head, and it looks more "fitting" for a buff guy to have a shaved smooth head. 

Understand how you feel man, I've been there and am now happy in my life than I have ever been.

I had SMP done nearly 2 years ago.

I totally agree with hairkiller and kojak with the gym thing, but my hair was something I had to get

out the way first and then I had the desire to make other improvements. My weight was a big thing

and adding 25lbs to my frame over 2 years has really improved how I look.

Another thing, SMP actually helps us to accept baldness which is a big big thing. If you have

SMP and you then you keep wanting more - looking into a hair transplant, still looking for a

baldness cure, still looking for one better - you'll never be at ease with it and put yourself on a slippy road.

You're never going to get a full head of hair back and actually - that's not a big deal. SMP will

improve anyone's face a hell of alot. Just look at the before and afters. But my wife is the hottest milf

in michigan and she cares more about what type of dog we're getting than my hair. 

She even makes fun of me and I make fun of her for little quirks she has.

It just shows you're on top of the siatuation, rather than letting the situation be on top of you. 

I also think (looking back) part of the misery and insecurity too - is that we all know that hairloss shouldn't effect us that

much, but it does in some. So it can be really upsetting to know that you are spending your valuable

time worrying about this. And I'm so glad those times are over. Get a hobby, something where you are

putting your time to good use, thats a great feeling. I spent alot of my free time wood carving right now and love it.

Good luck man. 

Thanks for all the insight guys. I must say this forum is extremely refreshing, to be able to discuss our baldness and how it's affected us so openly.

I am planning to reach out soon to HIS Toronto and go in for a consultation. People know I'm bald though so I'm hoping I can get a lighter type treatment. Something extremely natural looking. Very broken hairline, light, and not too crazy on density.

I feel if I don't get such a treatment, I might be a bit paranoid of being called out. I've been called out in the past when I had a hair system several years ago. And when I used hair fibres. So IMO less is more in a sense going forward if that makes sense.

Like many of you are saying. SMP alone helping to frame your face is a huge help to someone's appearance.

Guess I just have to not wimp out and move forward. I always see ppl post here and then never fully update with pics so I'm left wondering if it ended well or not.

Also, are the HIS clinics discreet in appearance? The Toronto clinic in specific. Is it obvious to everyone what I'm walking into or do they keep it low-key like an old boys club or something?

Random question I know. I use to go to a place in Toronto for hair systems. Everybody working in the stores around knew what that store I entered was for and would stare at my head lol.

Yes, once you get hairs back either by scalp micropigmentation (SMP) or hair transplant, you will get confidence and stay away from all the insecurities. I have tried royal jelly treament for my hari fall, and I seen satisfactory results with that. Royal jelly is a honey bee secretion produced by worker honey bees and it is rich in protein, vitamins which are essential for hair growth and stop hair fall. I think every one must try this natural remedy. To know more you can visit comvita.com/key-ingredients/royal-jelly/1200142 online.

I'm already feeling 100% relief and I only had my first session completed.  The way I'm feeling now I can't imagine that I'll have any worries besides making sure I don't sun burn my head.

I don't think I'll even worry about the "shine" and all that. Although I should wait till I'm done before I speak.

But basically I went from System for 14 years, to rip it off and shave my head (so in a matter of minutes a baldy with a horseshoe shadow) to the next day having 1 session of SMP on my head.  I can say overall I feel super confident. I even told and showed a friend I didn't plan on telling.  It's a different feeling than wearing a system.  And while I don't plan to just be completely open with everyone and anyone I feel like I'll let more people know.

For instance my sister in law who I've known for 10 years give or take I never openly spoke about my system in front of her.  Whether my brother ever mentioned it or not to her I have no clue.  But I have no problem revealing my SMP to everyone tomorrow when the family gets together for dinner.

I've only told my immediate family about booking my treatment. My parents thought it was crazy at first but Have warmed up to it a bit after since videos. My brother thinks it's wild, he's bald too. But we are both excited to see how good it looks.

I'm at peace with doing it and even close ppl knowing as I'm doing this for me. Not for anyone else or other reasons. Always wanted a full head if hair, can't get that obviously. So next best thing is the appearance of hair!

My only worry is actually going through airport security and having to take my hat off just after treatment. Having that red scalp with big dots lol.

I've only told my immediate family about booking my treatment. My parents thought it was crazy at first but Have warmed up to it a bit after since videos. My brother thinks it's wild, he's bald too. But we are both excited to see how good it looks.

I'm at peace with doing it and even close ppl knowing as I'm doing this for me. Not for anyone else or other reasons. Always wanted a full head if hair, can't get that obviously. So next best thing is the appearance of hair!

My only worry is actually going through airport security and having to take my hat off just after treatment. Having that red scalp with big dots lol.

Definitely a few moments of awkwardness but its worth it.

I did this and no one even paid attention... at least, that i could tell... and even if they did you'll never see them again. 

You dont have to take off your hat until the very end... i kept it on until i was ready to push the bin through the x-ray, then just tossed it in the bin, walked forward, and got it back.  By that time, everyone around you is stressed trying to take off half their clothes, so they aren't really going to be focusing on what you are doing.

I have mixed feelings. I really liked it when it was a bit darker, so now it's quite light (just like my shaved beard), but visible. 

No one noticed a thing or said anything. Close friends, no-one... I know people would do this if something would look wrong, as not all people are polite. It was a tough one as I'd hate to hear something about it. They noticed one girl lost 2 kg, but not my tatoo.

People have short visual memory. Also, it looks very natural, at least in my case. 

About looking in the mirror... it does look much better. Hair is about looks, and it does give a neat tidy look. It frames face, which is very important.

About meeting new women... here it's not as simple. They ask why I shave, and I really hate it, as I understand they don't quite enjoy I shave my head.  I might not look 100% good with it, as my headshape is not perfect. Also my head shines, and you have to look for applying something to fix it to contribute to the new look. Women like men with hair, and many won't like the shaved look. Though still much more will look on you than if you'd be with a bald horseshoe, it's true, and my dating experience proved it.

I feel much better walking out without a hat, as people now look into my eyes, and not on my head. First time I felt if they find out, but then it calmed down. It's cool... you are in a "normal" league again.  Being bald is acceptable, but rarely attractive. Being shaved is attractive to some women, I'd say more women. Also, it shapes your head, makes you bald by choice, which looks tougher. :)

It's just not 100% ideal. It's not hair, it's not growing... women might consider you might grow it and annoy you with it.  What I like about it I wake up and see in the mirror new me, and it does look good and improved my appearance for sure. It's just as good as I imagined it.

I have mixed feelings. I really liked it when it was a bit darker, so now it's quite light (just like my shaved beard), but visible. 

No one noticed a thing or said anything. Close friends, no-one... I know people would do this if something would look wrong, as not all people are polite. It was a tough one as I'd hate to hear something about it. They noticed one girl lost 2 kg, but not my tatoo.

People have short visual memory. Also, it looks very natural, at least in my case. 

About looking in the mirror... it does look much better. Hair is about looks, and it does give a neat tidy look. It frames face, which is very important.

About meeting new women... here it's not as simple. They ask why I shave, and I really hate it, as I understand they don't quite enjoy I shave my head.  I might not look 100% good with it, as my headshape is not perfect. Also my head shines, and you have to look for applying something to fix it to contribute to the new look. Women like men with hair, and many won't like the shaved look. Though still much more will look on you than if you'd be with a bald horseshoe, it's true, and my dating experience proved it.

I feel much better walking out without a hat, as people now look into my eyes, and not on my head. First time I felt if they find out, but then it calmed down. It's cool... you are in a "normal" league again.  Being bald is acceptable, but rarely attractive. Being shaved is attractive to some women, I'd say more women. Also, it shapes your head, makes you bald by choice, which looks tougher. :)

It's just not 100% ideal. It's not hair, it's not growing... women might consider you might grow it and annoy you with it.  What I like about it I wake up and see in the mirror new me, and it does look good and improved my appearance for sure. It's just as good as I imagined it.

Glad you're happy overall.  Yes, SMP is definitely not "the perfect solution."  Nothing is short of a miracle hair regrowth.  But just be careful making statements like "girls like guys with hair."

We all have different experiences in dating.  Women like all kinds of things.  I'm not sure I would even say MOST women prefer men with hair.  I'll tell you what, in my group of friends the guy who gets the most attention is my friend who is bald and has done nothing about it.  He just shaves his head down completely every day.  He is blessed with good looks that keep up even with a shaved head.  And even then he still gets plenty of attention from women and I've never seen anyone turned away because he is bald.

Just wanted to mention that because I know people on here read things and take them to heart.  Just want everyone to know being bald isn't going to take you out of the dating game.  Will some women not be attracted to you because you have a shaved heard or completely bald head? Yes, of course, just like some won't like you based on your height, weight, eye color, size of your nose, style of dress or career.  

And just like there are women we will all pass up based on certain physical qualities. 

SMP will make you feel better about yourself, and then you will present yourself as more confident.  And that quality I know for sure MOST women are attracted to.

SMP will make you feel better about yourself, and then you will present yourself as more confident.  And that quality I know for sure MOST women are attracted to.

Let's just keep it as personal opinions, I think having hair many women expect and nothing wrong with it.  Shaved head is also fine. I can tell you most women will prefer a shaved guy rather than bald, as they will look better together, and society won't think she made some sacrifice. And you don't need to tell anyone here how baldness affects dating. For most men it does. And yes, smp will give you more chances.

Let's just keep it as personal opinions, I think having hair many women expect and nothing wrong with it.  Shaved head is also fine. I can tell you most women will prefer a shaved guy rather than bald, as they will look better together, and society won't think she made some sacrifice. And you don't need to tell anyone here how baldness affects dating. For most men it does. And yes, smp will give you more chances.

You missed my point, but perhaps I didn't explain it clearly. Anyways nothing worth debating about. As you said we all have our opinions.