Sign in to follow this  
FML

Second thoughts - need some honesty

Hi all,

Sorry if this posted twice, having issues via phone.

So I been a lurker for a while reading and supporting you guys here. Finally joined :)

So I have an appointment booked for next week with Jonathan in NYC but am having second thoughts / doubts.im going on 39 and been a Norwood 1 for the last 10 years. A Little concealer like nanogen and im good to go. However this last year, has been a really bad year for me. Divource, lost job, loss. It's just been hell. Things have shaped up, new gig, in great shape again. But the hair .. I'm now a Norwood 2. Now the concealer works but my head seems to be the focus of anyone standing up close's attention And I know it's not just me. Over the years I've become a pro at styling my hair where it looks like I have a hairline. Now it's getting rough. Pics attached, but Id like to know. Please be honest. Please, as this is not cheap for me. I have start dating again and my confidence is shot. It's hard enough as is, let alone dealing with hair loss. Am I crazy for dropping 3k for doing this? If I just shave my head on my own. I may look ok. I have a chiseled jaw line and am fit, the sporty look fits me well.

But is this really worth it for someone like me? I can't find to many threads with Norwood 2's done, just 6&7+

I'm seeing pics where some guys are completely bald and I can only imagine how happy and great you feel after this. But Id love to hear from some men that if they were in my shoes and had a Norwood 2 that Prob won't get worse. Would you do this? I don't want the skinhead look. I want a little more density and being that I have most of my hair do you guys feel this is doable? I want natural a bit receefed but not super light without looking like a helmet. Id really appreciate it. just don't know if for the money this is worth a little extra hair.

Thank you so much !

Pic attached #1. Looked like with concealer, what it looks like now w bit of concealer, without anything, and back of my head. So I'm hoping to make a smooth natural receded hairline where no one would be able to be like wow he now has hair. More or off "oh you got a buzz cut"

Pic of what Id like done also attached, is this reallistic ???

post-300568-0-77334200-1430672906_thumb.jpg

What Id like to look like. When done. Pic 2 is a bit light for me. But seems to be the most realistic approach. Has anyone seen the thicker/ darker look without looking like a Lego helmet?

post-300568-0-74157700-1430673191_thumb.jpg

post-300568-0-85640000-1430673207_thumb.jpg

i also forgot to state that im getting this done on a Thursday. Can I return to work on a Monday following without raising to many red flags ? Guys your help hete is reallly appreciated. I can't tell you enough in advanced what any advice would mean to me!!!

I have an oppty for no one to ever know I started balding, but this insecure feeling has to go. I can't live like this anynore

Before doing smp, have you contemplated shaving your head first? This way, you can see what you look like with a buzzed head and it won't be a huge shock to you when you get smp done. In addition, it will allow the people around you to adjust to your new look. Therefore, you when get smp, no one will notice. I had my first session done on a Friday and I came back work on a Monday. No one noticed that I had anything done. Only one manager asked me if I was growing out my hair. lol. I've been shaving my head for over 6 years.

This guy in my opinon has one of the best smp. It's dense and nautral without looking like a "lego helmet"

http://www.hairlossexperiences.com/view_topic.php?id=4528&forum_id=52

I'm completely bald, but I can tell you you 100% need to not only see how you look with a shaved head, but also if the hair loss is noticeable with a shaved head.  There is this window where you're losing your hair that shaven is not very noticeable.  After a point then you get the shadow, but at first (which may be your case) its not. 

Second is the same exact concern that comes with a hair transplant.  If you're losing, you're gonna keep losing.  Its just how it goes.  Especially if you aren't taking any meds, which if you don't know you better read up on Propecia, STAY AWAY!!!  Another topic.  Back on topic, you're gonna keep losing, and you don't wanna chase the hair loss with continuing procedures.  

Third, some may disagree, but IMO the only procedures on here that look believable are the people who took a realistic approach and did not try to recreate hair.  You are recreating a shaved head, shaved to skin head, not a stubble head.  You can do you're own homework on this site, but for my money, if you're not matching a shaved to skin look it is sketchy as far as appearance.  

I haven't had it done, and I think this procedure is amazing for the right person with the right circumstances.  Maybe circumstances is not the right way to say it, how about approach.  If you approach it realistically I think it could be amazing like a ton of other people on this site have expressed.  I'm not an expert by any means, but I have 2 eyes like everyone else and the results speak for themselves.

Good luck man, think it over, and shave your head before you do anything.  Shave it with a razor, and do it daily for say a month or so.  Theres no going back, do the up front work so all this stress you're feeling will end when you get it done and not be compounded by something that makes you even more self conscous than when you started.  There is no rush, understand completely before you pull the trigger.

BnB 

It wouldn't be a bad idea to see your practitioner jonathan g.,,I believe he was a Norwood 2 over 5years ago and had Smp ,seeing him in person will reassure you mate,,and redness goes away after a day or 2 :!

Thank you for the replies. This has been an emotion rollercoaster and being Undecisive doesn't help. I just know i can no longer feel the way I have been feeling. I haven't been able to take a dive in the pool for over a decade, have to back away when a girl tries to put her hands in my head, have that feeling when ppl are looking right tbrough me on the subway or at work.

I've had my hair cut reaally short years ago and actually looked really good with it. But had a decent hair line. Also it's kind of like why would I cut my hair off when so many ppl go through hair loss. It's equally as hard. I've just never went that low. I Did like a #1-1.5 on a buzzer. I'm fortunate where my dome isn't that big, and im athletic and muscular . I have like a Jason staham build/ and head is similar shaped.

Im at a point where Im just really sick of doing "comb overs" and possibly only fooling myself. I can't wear a bike helmet unless I wear a hat. It's just hit a point where im a confident guy who has lost that confidence because of this.

Also I don't really have male pattern baldness in my family and think that at 38, 39 in August that i don't think I will lose that much more hair anytime soon. So that's not so much my concern as the blending part is. If your entire head is done, it can look great as I seen on the guy I met with at the clinic. And I thought I would meet with an actual practitioner not a sales who rep. Even though was was really nice and had it done himself. And I honestly would no way in a million years be able to tell his was done. He let me touch it and all.

So I just said F it and booked, But now as im researching more im not seeing to many Norwood 2's. That's when this became a worry. I don't want this ending up making ne look like a freak, instead of a guy who should be going out with some dignity at sometjing that happens. Being divorced and having to date has added a lot of the lack of confidence. But at end of the day a girl rather date a bald guy than a dude w a tattoo head( if gone wrong)

I was really excited and confident booking my appt, but then of course went on line and overly researched. If it fades a bit I don't mind as it might then look like a natural progression.

Right now if I shave , it's like my cover is blown. It will be like " wtf this guy had hair, now hes balding that much??" Where As if I can do this and bammm like nothing ever happened. I just decided to change my look for summer and then like it. So I kinda wanna just do it, and get this feeling out the way and look fresh and sexy for the summer!! So any opinions or guys who have gone through this and had hair, any input would be really appreciated. Thanks for reading either way. :/

I just keep reading that it looks bad for guys that have growth. And most of my head has hair. I would have thought the opposite. Is it normal that I didn't meet with a person actually doing the smp as I spoke w a rep. He made it sound like it will be so easy and the fact that I have 3/4 of my hair on top a easy blend. Anyone know if the day of if I am not confident with this if I will get charged or can then reschedule etc...

I would go with what Rollwithit said,  shave your head first, keep it that way for a month, then make your decision, you may not even need to do the procedure...

Regardless of what you decide, the one thing you should absolutely not do is just do something.  Its a big deal, and that feeling you have now, you can make it worse by getting a procedure that doesn't look good with your current circumstance.  And then you have a tattoo on your dome and gonna be hard to go back.  You'll choose right, but don't let the urgency creep in, thats just a quick out and you're mind looking for comfort.  Due if you're fit, and you have the face for it, there are plenty of chicks that dig the bald look.  And they know you're bald and not just shaving you're head, but they see you're face more, and its all good.  You need to really figure out if you plan on ever shaving your head, cause thats when the SMP looks the best.  It does look good for guys who have slight thinning as well, I will admit I went to the open house in Chicago and there were a few, Jon I think, and it looked freaking awesome, but the problem there is its gonna get thinner, not maybe, not if, when.  It will happen.... and then what.  You gotta match the old with the new and of the guys I've seen that are noticeable, on pictures and in person (Chicago again) its always where the hairline meets the SMP, the blending. 

I'll give you I'm more cautious by nature, and I can see just going for it.  Just make sure you have peace of mind knowing all the pro's and con's first.  The procedure seems to me to be amazing if treated right and if expectations are right. 

I'm completely bald, but I can tell you you 100% need to not only see how you look with a shaved head, but also if the hair loss is noticeable with a shaved head.  There is this window where you're losing your hair that shaven is not very noticeable.  After a point then you get the shadow, but at first (which may be your case) its not. 

Second is the same exact concern that comes with a hair transplant.  If you're losing, you're gonna keep losing.  Its just how it goes.  Especially if you aren't taking any meds, which if you don't know you better read up on Propecia, STAY AWAY!!!  Another topic.  Back on topic, you're gonna keep losing, and you don't wanna chase the hair loss with continuing procedures.  

Third, some may disagree, but IMO the only procedures on here that look believable are the people who took a realistic approach and did not try to recreate hair.  You are recreating a shaved head, shaved to skin head, not a stubble head.  You can do you're own homework on this site, but for my money, if you're not matching a shaved to skin look it is sketchy as far as appearance.  

I haven't had it done, and I think this procedure is amazing for the right person with the right circumstances.  Maybe circumstances is not the right way to say it, how about approach.  If you approach it realistically I think it could be amazing like a ton of other people on this site have expressed.  I'm not an expert by any means, but I have 2 eyes like everyone else and the results speak for themselves.

Good luck man, think it over, and shave your head before you do anything.  Shave it with a razor, and do it daily for say a month or so.  Theres no going back, do the up front work so all this stress you're feeling will end when you get it done and not be compounded by something that makes you even more self conscous than when you started.  There is no rush, understand completely before you pull the trigger.

BnB 

Not true you can clippers no guard it depending on your state of hair loss like I do which was also recommended but the practitioners at HIS who blended my treatment to match my hair at stubble level , I've been many places and not one person has called me out yet sometimes I can go 2days without it being noticeable it blends very well providing you use a bald fader or T-line clipper.

Just had to say this as a lot of people on here tell people to wet shave it as it doesn't look realistic but that's really for people who completely have nothing up to,p but for people who do shaving to the bone is a waist of hair , the stubble feel only adds to illusions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk