Otsoko

Getting a little worried, looking very dark and unnatural

So I had my second treatment done 3 days ago. I was very happy with the first one and by day 3 the redness had all gone and I was comfortable without wearing a hat. The color on the first session was a 6. Now after the 2nd session we went into the side profiles and added more density all around and the color that was used was a 4. both times I was told this was darker than what is usually used and that this is a little bit of a risk but I trusted my practitioner who is a great guy. The dots appear extremely large, dark, and unnatural. I know that they will fade but they just don't seem like they were done as small as the first session and have not blended as much with my natural hair like the first session did. The dots seem very large all over the head but the side profiles are what look very unnatural at the moment as they are very dark, large, and have a bit of space between them. I have gotten some weird looks/stares so I started wearing my hat again. Any thoughts, opinions, advice would be welcome. I am currently scheduled to have 3 sessions but have not scheduled the 3rd yet. Would be great if someone else experienced something similar and has some photos they could share. I know that there is going to be some fading going on for the next several weeks but I am worried if we went too dark/large around the hairline/side profile and would like to see if anyone else has gone this dark, especially around the hairline and had it look natural by the end. Again the first session seemed a lot more natural looking by this time. Another thing that adds to the concern I guess is I was told I barely faded at all after the first session and I retained the ink very well. Also I haven't found anyone else on the forum that has gone this dark, they are all around 14-20

post-299953-0-46438400-1422818147_thumb.jpg

post-299953-0-18345400-1422818208_thumb.jpg

post-299953-0-35987900-1422818470_thumb.jpg

post-299953-0-86384500-1422818484_thumb.jpg

post-299953-0-65842900-1422833283_thumb.png

post-299953-0-35444200-1422833298_thumb.png

Edited by Otsoko

Wait for 2 weeks at least before you judge anything.

Your pic is taken with quite a bit of hair also, it will be different when you shave close.

Just wait for the dots to settle and shrink, there will be fading. 3rd threatment wait at least a month so the fading will be over

Well, first things first, those dots are absolutely going to shrink/fade over the next few weeks.  In my case it was always around 2 weeks before the scabs were fully gone.

I'll also tell you that in the days following one of my treatments, i was really worried that the pigment was too dark/big and that i would probably have to get it lasered off... but after a few weeks it wasn't an issue, and in the end I actually ended up going darker than the pigment which I thought was too dark.  So dont panic yet... most of the time it's going to look very different a few weeks down the road than it does now.

I am intrigued by the use of such a dark pigment though... usually that is reserved for people of African descent.  What was the practitioners reason for starting so dark? 

Here are the only two caucasions i can recall that went down to a 4, and on the positive side, they were very satisfied with the outcome:

HatingHat's dIaryHatingHat's followup thread

Tfr1970's diary

It has been only 3 days so far too early to make any judgements but yes i am a little intruged by the colour that was used as it does seem a little dark for your skin tone. What discussions did you have with your practitioner? Did you request to go quite dark or was this recommended to you? Your sides have been worked but not in an unnatural way, just lookd like blending to me. Think we need to give it some time and re-evaluate.

So I got the side profiles done because although it may seem like there is a lot of hair there, there really isn't. I had an HT and there was a clear night and day difference from where the natural hair ended and the transplaned hair began because there was so little density. Also they did not blend the right temple correctly and it looked like I just had a notch of hair missing. I actually have a credit for 500 graphs FUE if I want to use it down the line. I think on the norwood scale without the HT I was like a 4 or 5. The hairline was pretty good but it wouldn't blend with the natural hair and there was a gap. I was pretty thin on top as well especiall compared to my hair on the sides/back of my head which is very thick and dark.

My practitioner was Daz, who is an awesome dude. I did not recommend going dark or anything, I think it was because I have really dark thick hair on the side of my head behind the temples and beneath the top of the head. I will see if I can get a hold of my before photos. I will attach a photo after the first session, its not very close up but its the only one I have until I get the ones that HIS took. I looked at the other examples, to be honest not really thrilled with the way thatTfr1970's diarylooked.I know there is time to wait and I still have a pretty open mind to this whole process. Just fears that everyone has I guess. Its reasurring that everyone goes through this fear but in a way it also kinda scares me when people say they went through the same fears but at 10-15 shades higher than me. I guess I will have to wait it out

It seems to be blended in very well in the last two pictures you posted. Is that after your first session with a shade #6? If so, #4 should blend in nicely on you once its all settled down. The dots look a bit big but its still too early to judge right now. Especially since you haven't even washed and shaved for the first time yet. Give it a couple weeks to settle and hopefully you'll be thrilled with the results. Keep us posted.

But with the first session the dots never really looked like this, just looks so strange and post session photos I see on the forums don't look like this. I will give it time just bummed I gotta start wearing my hat again and continue worrying about it

That's good, thanks again for the help. I know this is just a phase everyone goes through but still good to be reminded. I gotta say at a distance it doesn't look bad and matches the darkness/thickness of my natural hair fairly well, I'm guessing it will blend to look more like this close up as well, I will see if I can post a pic from a few feet away

the fading will take months, and most dots look great at this stage; once you shave for the first time it will be easier to assess, just a reminder that the dots vs threads of hair looks awful now, and it always will.

that may be the reason for the stares you got.

color-wise you can take a look at the diaries hairhair98 mentioned, it will give you some peace of mind

As Tosspot says Daz is a top bloke , dont worry most " after pics" look bloody aweful and in know way resemble what it will look like after a week or so . If anyone ever took any notice of these after pics they would never get SMP done on themselves that why for piece of mind you should see the finished article on someone 1st .

This thread made me think of a post I wrote today. Excuse the reference, but thought you might find the post useful and/or entertaining

http://www.smpguru.com/scalp-micropigmentation-horror-stories-not-always-seem/

Read the part under "Dots Too Large". I think this may be relevant in your case.

If it makes you feel any better, I panicked too. A lot of people do at your stage actually, but when those scabs start to lift, those dots are going to be a LOT smaller. Bear with it, it won't take much longer :)

Thanks Damien, trying to stay patient. It has faded slightly but I feel like the dot size is still enormous giving a weird blotchy look. I'm hoping the third session will help. Still getting stares so probably going to go back to wearing my hat until it is looking good. At about 4 feet away it looks pretty good and well blended but any closer and it looks blotchy. I've had countless people stare at my hair while talking, sometimes for the entire duration of the conversation so kinda bummed especially since it looked so good after the first session. I feel like the dot size was much smaller the first time, is there any reason why the practitioners use multi-pronged needles instead of a single prong? I feel like that gives a way better look but not sure how it would hold up with fading, saw a similar post asking this question but it was never resolved. Here are some pics, this is after I have shaved with a #0 guard and put moisturizer. I was told I could maybe pull off a #1 guard by the practitioner, and told I could definitely pull off a #1 guard by the person who did my consultation, but Daz recommended I stay at a #0 guard which is fine with me but I don't want to wet shave with a blade.

post-299953-0-43409100-1423417022_thumb.jpg

post-299953-0-65783600-1423417051_thumb.jpg

post-299953-0-03951600-1423417534_thumb.jpg

Hey, looks like your treatment has settle a bit since the first set of pictures. Give it a couple more weeks and it should be good to go. The color looks spot on from the last picture you posted. Once the dots shrink to the right size it should look great. As whitedots mentioned, your hair seems pretty long in all the pictures and may be adding to the stares you're receiving. You do seem to have the right diffusion patter of MPB that should allow you to wear your hair a bit longer than most, but since the dots are big right now from a fresh treatment and your hair is long, those two things together may add to the stares.

I like your hairline and I think it works well with your head shape. I think where your hairline meets your side (temple area) is a perfect angle and looks great. The only thing I can thing to suggest would be to sharpen up your side profiles a bit, to match the sharpness of the temple area. Although, It looks as if you kept all the dots within your natural hair line, so adding anything to the side profiles may require you to shave it down all the way, which may not be what you had in mind. Just something to consider. Before doing anything like that I'd defiantly let it settle as is, to see how it looks shaving on a #0 or #1 like you intend to. Good luck man. Keep us posted.

Thanks man, yea the color I feel matches pretty good over all, which I guess is why from a distance it looks good. The dots also have quite a bit of spacing in some spots which creates that contrast/blotchiness but I'm guessing he left it that way so he could fill it in more later with a different shade. As for the length it actually kind of hides it a little bit, if I shave with a blade I think iit would look like polka dots on my head.

Also was wondering to what extent I can start sweating? They say light sweating but if the sweat glands pass through the layer where the ink is deposited then how could it effect it? Would it effect dot size in any negative way or just increase the fading? I work out on a daily basis and its been tough to not exercise for this long haha

From what I've read on this forum, your supposed to wait at least 10 days after the treatment to start sweating. I'm not sure to what extent of sweating is necessarily to effect the treatment during this initial period, but it may be a good idea to avoid any until the 10 days are up. From what I understand, your body needs proper time to heal over the punctures made with the needle. If you start sweating a lot during that time, then the parts of the treatment that weren't finished healing may eject some of the ink, resulting in a blotchy, uneven finish.

The largeness of the dots now is due to ink being trapped in tiny scabs around each puncture. As those scabs fall off, usually over a 2 week period (quicker for some), then you'll get a better idea of what the actual SMP dot will look like. Then it will likely fade even more over the next 2-3 months. 

Its gotta be tough to avoid sweating in that Texas heat. I know if I just walk outside when its above 80 I start sweating, lol. Usually the top of my head is the first to get sweaty too, that's why wearing concealers sucked. 

Hey guys so here is an update,

HIS finally let me go ahead and book my 3rd session for may 2nd, I was told to continue wating until now to let the treatment settle more. Still having all the same issues, dot size too large on the top of the scalp. The scar is pretty visable at this point, especially outside. The temples however I think look pretty good aside from some fading. There are several spots that have faded giving it a kind of blotchy inconsistent look but I guess the fading is normal.There is also a spot where the treatment was done outside the hairline when the plan was to stay within the hairline so waiting to hear back how this will be corrected. Its just a small area (about 10 dots) and wouldn't be so bad if the dots were so much larger than my natural hair follicles. Just looks kinda weird still and pretty disappointed I am still wearing a hat 3 months later when I see so many others say they are looking normal in 1-2 weeks. The treatment has settled a lot which I am happy about but the dot size seems about the same to me. Still get weird looks every now and then and honestly don't think I have ever recieved a single compliment on it. Just want to be done with it and not sure they are going to be able to fix it before my 1 year warranty is up. How much the scar has faded in this short amount of time has me a little concerned too in the long run. I booked my 3rd session with Walter so hopefully he can help. Just really confused about why the large dot size was chosen, I know they have different needles that have more/less prongs and some of the dots are a great size but  so many of them are extremely large like I took a black pen and drew dots on my head. The temples and hairline dots look smaller and the ones on the top of the scalp are just massive, I am having a hard time believing they will shrink any more than this. I don't want to be too negative, it is definately an improvement from where we started, just kind of venting all my concerns that I've been having for the past few months

post-299953-0-68360600-1429025001_thumb.jpg

post-299953-0-50424000-1429026006_thumb.jpg