Sign in to follow this  
UserSoFL

How will this look if I don't shave razor blade close?

I have my first treatment at HIS Hair Clinic Miami scheduled for this Friday, and I was looking for some advice prior to going in. My situation is I had a hair transplant about 6 years ago and I like the way it looks, but it's just not full enough. I've gotten used to the shaved head look, and I actually like it now. I just wish it all looked fuller and didn't have any noticeable receding lines and noticeable balding spots. 

Because of the hair transplant, I do have hair pretty much all over my head, but again it's just not full. I prefer to shave with bare clippers (no plastic levels attached), so it's low but not nearly as low as a razor blade shave. I notice almost every picture I see is from guys who shave with razor blades and get skin close. How will this look if I already have a decent amount of hair which I cut with buzzers? 

I went in for two consultations at two different clinics, and they both offered up the same observation, which was that it will look good because I already have a decent amount of 3D follicles. If I keep it buzzed constantly, will it look right? Or will the 3D follicles conflict with the look of the 2D SMP "follicles"?

Is there anyone here in a similar situation who can post a picture of their results after SMP? And the day of my treatment should I buzz-cut or razorblade shave my head? Any other pre-treatment advice you can offer is also greatly appreciated. Thanks guys! :)

- JR

PS- What excuse do you give people when you return to work and it's noticeable that something changed or that your head is red?

Hi matey

The reason most people shave so close is that they have too much hair loss to get away with zero grade clippers. As you said, you need to have lots of hair or the 3D hair follicles will stand out too much against the 2D SMP dots. If you were told at consultation you will pull it off then you should be fine. HIS are the experts and know what they are talking about.

What kind of HT was it? If it was strip then you'd more than likely need to shave right down to camouflage the scar anyway.

It was the strip. I do have a scar, but they said my scar is very minimal. They said it's very flat so it should cover up rather well. There is just no way I could go through another hair transplant. The procedure, the pain, the healing process, the money, the excuses as to why I'm wearing a hat, etc. I feel like I've been in limbo for the past 6-7 years. I have a lot of hope for SMP through HIS Hair Clinic, because I see all of you, and you guys look fantastic. So I am very excited! I feel like I'm finally going to reach the point I have been aiming for. It might not be with a full head of hair, but it will be the next best thing. :)

My skin tone is kind of tan, so will I need to think up an excuse for redness or do you think it won't be an issue? 

Hi matey

The reason most people shave so close is that they have too much hair loss to get away with zero grade clippers. As you said, you need to have lots of hair or the 3D hair follicles will stand out too much against the 2D SMP dots. If you were told at consultation you will pull it off then you should be fine. HIS are the experts and know what they are talking about.

What kind of HT was it? If it was strip then you'd more than likely need to shave right down to camouflage the scar anyway.

Wow HBK, I am reading your SMP diary posts and I have to say your results are amazing! You keep talking about scars and dots, and I'm sitting here squinting and moving back and forth trying to see what you are talking about, but I just can't see them. I see no scars and no dots. I am in the same boat as you and I just cannot even tell you had an HT! I hope my results are as good as yours. If they are, I will be ecstatic!!! :)

That's good that your scar should be easy to fix. Hope it goes well man.

Thanks a lot for the compliments! Yeah Danny and Daz did a great job covering my scars. Very happy with the job they did.

Even though they are well camouflaged I still can't get away with a zero grade on them though or they stand out. If yours ends up the same you could always use clippers on top and go shorter back and sides on the scar.

I don't think redness should be much of an issue. Mine was gone in roughly 24 hours after each session but I was out before that with no hassle. As long as you take a couple of days off work it should be fine. The bigger issue is not being able to shave it for 4 days afterwards.

I'm having it done this Friday so I will have the weekend to recover. Should I shave with a razor before I go in or do my normal clippers shave?

Use your clippers, because then your practitioner can see what length you aim to keep your hair. This is useful information for them when assessing your pigment shade requirement.

From how you describe your current situation, it sounds like you're in the same position as a guy with diffuse thinning, in other words low density all over the top of the scalp. If this is the case, then shaving using clippers at a zero should be fine. I believe this will ultimately be decided by how well your scar camouflages.

Some photos would help you get better advice from the community here.

Use your clippers, because then your practitioner can see what length you aim to keep your hair. This is useful information for them when assessing your pigment shade requirement.

From how you describe your current situation, it sounds like you're in the same position as a guy with diffuse thinning, in other words low density all over the top of the scalp. If this is the case, then shaving using clippers at a zero should be fine. I believe this will ultimately be decided by how well your scar camouflages.

Some photos would help you get better advice from the community here.

Thanks Damien! I appreciate the input. That makes a lot of sense, because that is the way I would prefer to keep it. Clippers is much easier too and less time consuming, although I do have it shave more often that way than if I use a razor blade shaver.

And Htownboy, yours looks great! Did you have a scar in the back or was yours the FUE procedure I keep hearing about? My main concern was really to camouflage the scar, but if I can get the density appearance on the top as well then I will be very happy!