Sign in to follow this  
CCTV-star

My scar revision journey

Hi Folks,

I've been reading HIS hair forums off and on for over a year now.  Like most people within the HT forum I am not completely happy with the HT work that was carried out.  I've never jumped into anything regarding my scalp and try to do as much research as possible when considering any treatment.

I was bald at 24 and have had 3 HT's which has resulted in a wider scar than normal (probably 10mm+), my scar was also quite red and never matched the surrounding skin colour like a lot of the scars on this forum.  The coverage I got from my HT's was ok at the start but now the crown area has since started to go bald or at least more see through.  I, like a lot of people on here wish I knew then what I know now.  My last HT was in 2011 and here is a pic of how bad the scar was:

post-293472-0-57066500-1389393105_thumb.

My hair is long enough to cover my scar at the back and no-one ever notices it.  But, since starting to go bald around my crown area I have wanted it concealed so I can have my hair short.  I attended HIS hair clinic at the start of 2013 in Birmingham and what I got was an honest consultation. Whereas I imagine most people in this industry are happy to take your money and leave you to deal with the consequences, HIS in Birmingham explained that I was probably in the 10% of people that can't have SMP due to the scar colour, texture and width.  Their priority is your how your head will look, they want what's best for you and of course they have an excellent reputation so I felt sure that they were correct in telling me that I can't have SMP.   Needless to say I was disappointed but appreciated the honesty.  

I decided to try and have my scar revised non surgically and looked into what could be done.  Deciding on Fraxel I found it hard to find anybody willing to do this treatment on a scar on the scalp.  I eventually found an excellent cosmetic surgeon and had the Fraxel:Duel done once.  Fraxel, as explained to me by the plastic surgeon, is primarily to smooth the skin/scar/acne etc., a reduction in redness may or may not occur but usually does.  To reduce the redness the surgeon recommended IPL treatment, of which I then had 3 sessions.  The  combined result has smoothed my scar and reduced the redness to the point where it is much more like the surrounding skin (sorry for the poor photo):

post-293472-0-96144500-1389393205_thumb.

So thats my story, I am now at the stage where I would like to have another consultation with HIS in Birmingham and to find out if I can be helped  :)

Any advice etc would be welcomed...

Thanks!

post-293472-0-57066500-1389393105_thumb.jpgpost-293472-0-96144500-1389393205_thumb.jpg

Is there any chance you could give me the name of the surgeon as i've been looking for someone that uses fraxel dual only thing is i'm in Devon and i suppose i need to go to London maybe.

If you dont want to post it on here you could PM me.

thanks

Glad to see you got turned away initially I'd have agreed your initial scar was very long and a very reddish colour and would never have achieved an look you'd have been happy with! It does look massively improved by the fraxel though I have to say, I'm surprised how much better it looks now it looks almost skin toned, mind me asking what IPL is without looking it up? seems whatever it is its form of miracle worker. The good points also are the fact your scar is fairly flat, I don't know if that's fraxel or it was fairly flat prior but that's always a benefit with scarring work. Is the scar confined just to that portion of your head or does it follow the typical 'smiley face' pattern across?

Happy for you with the progress you've made.

Is there any chance you could give me the name of the surgeon as i've been looking for someone that uses fraxel dual only thing is i'm in Devon and i suppose i need to go to London maybe.

If you dont want to post it on here you could PM me.

thanks

Hi hollyj,

I also found it very hard to find someone that was willing to use Fraxel on my scar.  It seems most surgeries that have it use it purely for facials etc., well, at least the ones I contacted.  

I'm not sure what the rules are regarding naming people on the forum, but I went to #### Lee in Bristol.  A quick internet search and his clinic will come up, he is also a consultant plastic surgeon in a hospital in Bristol, so I felt in safe hands.

Glad to see you got turned away initially I'd have agreed your initial scar was very long and a very reddish colour and would never have achieved an look you'd have been happy with! It does look massively improved by the fraxel though I have to say, I'm surprised how much better it looks now it looks almost skin toned, mind me asking what IPL is without looking it up? seems whatever it is its form of miracle worker. The good points also are the fact your scar is fairly flat, I don't know if that's fraxel or it was fairly flat prior but that's always a benefit with scarring work. Is the scar confined just to that portion of your head or does it follow the typical 'smiley face' pattern across?

Happy for you with the progress you've made.

Hi Nightwood,

I showed my brother the scar and he has said it is very much like the surrounding skin, although there is some small red spots on various places but I'm happy with how it is and I'm looking at what to do next.  Yes, my scar goes right across the back of my head... in the typical butcher fashion.

IPL is Intense Pulsed Light treatment.  I believe it's a type of laser used for hair removal but it also gets used for people who have red areas of skin, or red thread veins near the top of the skin surface.  It worked wonders for my red scar and I'm considering going back for 1 more treatment which would total 4 altogether.  As I mentioned I had the IPL after I had 1 Fraxel treatment.  My scar was raised before Fraxel but with one session it smoothed out.  

I recommend to anyone who has a a raised scar on their head to get Fraxel, followed by IPL if their scar is red, prior to SMP.  It really does make a huge difference.

cctv i've only just seen this reply thanks for the info thats really great to know that i could go to Bristol and get this done with #### Lee.

Even though i've read that it doesn't hurt the surrounding hair, can you confirm that thats true?

When i searched nothing came up in the southwest i'm really pleased about it.

Have you been reassed by HIS yet?

cctv i've only just seen this reply thanks for the info thats really great to know that i could go to Bristol and get this done with #### Lee.

Even though i've read that it doesn't hurt the surrounding hair, can you confirm that thats true?

When i searched nothing came up in the southwest i'm really pleased about it.

Have you been reassed by HIS yet?

hollyj,

No it doesn't affect the surrounding area's hair, the treatment can be localised to the specific scar area.

I am at the stage where I need to be assessed by HIS again and will look to do so soon.