I've tried quite a few. The best for me are Peter Thomas Roth Max Mattifying Gel, Milk of Magnesia and Headlube Matte.

L'oreal and Boots own products were rubbish.

The PTR and MoM are the best mattifiers.

Some of these like headlube matte claim to be a moisturiser as well but don't do a proper job. If using such a product then I'd advise applying a proper moisturiser at night time to nourish your scalp.

Alternatively you can apply a moisturiser leave to soak in then apply your anti-shine afterwards.

Loreal Pure & Matte moisterising gel i find is the best practical use for anti shine but only up to about 5 hours (does a really good job). Then it loses it's effectiveness slowly from that point onwards

I have tried the Peter Thomas Roth Max Mattifying Gel and didn't really find it useful - the bottle is ridiculously expensive for something so small and doesn't stop the oil on my scalp much at all.

Milk of magnesia is an interesting one. The main problem is it does become a mess. You have to go around with a mirror to try and wipe off the dry white marks that is caused by the stuff when you apply it as it does not dry very evenly on your scalp(maybe there is a technoque for using this but i have yet to discover it) and shaving the following day following an application of this stuff will feel very horrible as you glide the razor across your head and get a grainy feeling (The razor blade picks this stuff up for fun and it's very difficult to get out of the blade when caused in it) It's a shame really that there are negatives of the application of this stuff because in terms of anti shine it's flawless and really adds that mattifying of oil on your scalp even though it's not the primary use . Another thing to note, the stuff is fairly hard to come by if you live in the UK and have to import it for the standard original version. It might be worth using this in special occasions when you need extended shine free scalp and can cope with the negatives and time applying it but i wouldn't recommend it daily at all. 

Things all work differently for each of us. Hence why I've tried several.

I like the smell and application of the L'oreal but found I looked worse than applying anything at all.

I agree that PTR is expensive for such a pissy amount so I just use it for nights out.

I hardly have any MoM left so watered it down and use just a tiny amount and it works well.

For me I found the headlube matte was a large bottle for a small outlay (£10) and does a decent enough job for everyday use.

I shave my head in the morning with a foil shaver.

I take some MOM and apply it on my head. Let it dry and turn white. Then i take a wet wash cloth and wipe my entire head.

No more white flaking to worry about and the anti shine works all day long. 

I am a person that really suffers from a oily scalp , so I soap my head over every morn when whashing to remove any oil grease then shave my head Nivea after sun on let that dry in , if I'm just going to work I don't all ways use anti shine but if I do I use the mom is the best for me but still don't know if we should be using it as there a lot of mixed reviews on if it fades the smp or not so try to limit my self on it , but it does such good job be nice to use it every day

I never use anything.  When I look in the mirror I dont feel I need to and I dont get funny looks and no-one's said anything (including my g/f who would do).

The only times I do get the odd look to the top of my head is when my head is sweating a lot... so I am presuming the moisture must make the top of my head very shiney...!  Is there anything I can do about this?   I presume not...

I worried about shine for a while too, but actually a lot of men who are bald have the same problem, whether they have SMP or not. Despite this however, I am keen to find a solution.

I used to use the loreal pure and matte moisturiser, but I found it a little sticky. The Peter Thomas Roth stuff is good, but it is definitely overpriced and only stops my head shining for a couple of hours. Not tried Milk of Magnesia yet.

Nightwood suggested I try a shampoo with ketoconazole, so I bought some Nizoral. I had high hopes but in the end it hasn't really made a difference for me.

I think the general theme of this thread is that different things work for different people. It's really odd because my head shines straight out of the shower before any sebum has had chance to build. I guess some of us are just destined for a shiny head :)

In an ideal world, I'd want the Peter Thomas Roth product but cheaper, longer lasting and that doubles up as a moisturiser. I don't think such a product exists yet.

Nizoral did nothing for me. I would like to find a cheaper alternative to ptr. There must be something we can get mixed up which could save us some money. I feel HIS should look in to this themselves as no offence Damien this treatment costs enough. A care kit would be a nice touch and if HIS could manufacture an anti shine product this would give a real professional stance aimed for the customer

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

It's really odd because my head shines straight out of the shower before any sebum has had chance to build. I guess some of us are just destined for a shiny head :)

My head also shines right after a shower.  It's weird... it seems to be the shiniest after a shower, like it's made of glass.

You should get some MOM today and try it... it instantly eliminates all of the shine, and therefore makes me feel more confident going out.  It works better than the moisturizers i have used (headlube matte and general moisturizers), and I'm going to pick up some PTR soon and see how it compares to that.

a HIS rival company( set up by an exHIS employee that we are not allowed to mention) are releasing a skincare range that sounds interesting

hilariously the blurb on one of the products reads "our glossy slick oiled option, designed to make your head shine above the rest"

i hope the matte option proves effective, a matte solution from an SMP company should be effective

Yes my head also shines the most out of the shower , Damien you should defo get some of the m.o.m of amazon you will be surprised on how well it work,s instant no shine all day , but should we put it on our heads who knows, still waiting for some one to look in to it

I’ve used just about every anti-shine product mentioned on this forum:

Peter Thomas Roth Max
Milk of Magnesia
L'Oreal Men Expert
Boots Skin Clear
Asda Clear Skin

And up until recently the best in my book was Peter Thomas Roth Max with Milk of Magnesia being a close second. Then a few weeks back I saw a post by Bald Tosspot saying that Pinaud Clubman Shave Talc was working really well for him. So I ordered some and am absolutely loving it, it really does take the shine away and absorbs any excess oil you may have on your head.

I ordered it from eBay for just under £7 delivered and can see it lasting a year, if not more. The listing on eBay should anyone be interested Pinaud Clubman Shave Talc

A few other tips which I’ve found over time in helping in beating shine. On waking I find that my head is a little shiny/oily so prior to shaving I get some toilet tissue and wipe my head to remove as much excess oil/shine. I then shave using shaving foam on my head as opposed to shaving gel as I’ve found that foam also helps reduces the shine compared to when I was using gel. I’d then apply some shaving talc on my head for a total matt effect with zero shine.

Also like many others here after a bath or shower my head really shines, think bowling ball shine. But the talc totally eliminates the shine. Definitely the best product to reduce/eliminate shine in my book by far.

post-159071-0-92063000-1389142776_thumb.jpg

What happens if your head gets wet with the talc on though? or you sweat? does it run down your face? if someone was to rub your head? or does the skin absorb it?

I used a talc based product on my hair years ago my friend told me it stopped the hair from accumulating sweat so it didn't become wet, first few times not a problem not a sweaty day, problem was when you sweated the stuff leaked white down your face.

Nothing happens. I put it on my head prior to going to the gym, where I sweat buckets when doing cardio, and no problems about it running down my face.

The amount of talc that you put on your head is minimal, probably the amount that would cover a 5p piece (1 cent in the US), spread over the whole head. So anyone rubbing your head would have zero effect on it.

Also the talc is a neutral colour (with a pinkish tint) and not white, hence it blends in as opposed to giving the powdery look you would expect from white talc.

I've also found that after applying the talc and having had a sweaty cardio workout my head now hardly shines where previously it did. An added bonus there :)

Just bought some PTR... soooo expensive... $40 for 1 oz. haha, i'll try it out soon.  i also previously ordered some of that talc... briefly experimented with it and didnt think it was as good as MOM, but i plan on giving it another shot.

All this MOM talk got me interested in the use of it on the skin again, and i went poking around the internet for info.  Love HH's earlier assessment of it. 

Thought i would post this blog entry to get HH's thoughts on it.  I have no idea if what they say is accurate, but they use a lot of fancy words.  They conclude that it shouldn't be used, but i dont see anything alarming about their conclusion except that it 'may' irritate the skin because of pH... which i believe is about the same conclusion that HH arrived at.  The big concern for all of us is whether or not it will affect the SMP, and it still looks good to go in that aspect. 

Keep in mind that this blog is talking about using it on the face, which i assume might be more sensitive than the scalp... and also that they have links to expensive alternatives (not sure if that plays into their assessment, but you never know).

http://www.futurederm.com/2012/07/12/should-you-use-milk-of-magnesia-on-your-skin-the-internet-rumor-researched/

Besides that, i dont find much negative stuff about it... and i see TONS of girls (and some guys) that say it is a miracle cure for their oily skin... most say its better than expensive oil control products.  Most of them seem to apply moisturizer, and then MOM on top, and then their makeup.  Which is what i do, minus the makeup :P

$3.50 for 26 oz of walmart brand MOM, btw.

I've just ordered the Clubman Pinaud. I noticed that some bottles have FLESH at the bottom so that's what I ordered as I don't want a white head!

I'll let you know if I'm sending the 'chaps' after BT and Vince.

I've just ordered the Clubman Pinaud. I noticed that some bottles have FLESH at the bottom so that's what I ordered as I don't want a white head!

I'll let you know if I'm sending the 'chaps' after BT and Vince.

Robby let me know how you get on with the FLESH talc. I saw that as well and after doing some research online I found that their shave talc is that little bit finer, hence I ordered that.