newstyle33

Is it really undetectable

Hi

I am booked in for HIS

But nerves are kicking in now, and I am thinking is this the right thing to do

I have read every thread here, and thanks to all the guys for posting all the information

The only concern i have is when the guys who have had the treatment, is it really undetectable, and have you had no one question you if the treatment is real.

when you talk to someone say 50cm away can they still not tell?

I am just really scared, as hairloss has affected me for the last ten years, and really knocked my confidence.

I just dont want to get this treatment done and always be paranoid that people will be able to detect it.

I am norwood 5, still have very little hair on top

so i am hoping to use a electric shaver, as I dont want to use a razor blade.

But as I have  tried everything for my hairloss, hair transplant, toppik, propecia, regaine, laser, i dont want to go through this nightmare again.

Please guys let me know if anyone has really been found out or asked if the treatment is real and if this really is undetectable

thanks

Nobody has questioned me in nearly 9 months. I haven't told my Dad and he knew I was balding and yesterday he was examining my crown and couldn't understand my need to shave my head.

Honestly, people that don't know that this procedure exists (like me 12 months ago) would never suspect it isn't real.

The key is to be very natural with your hairline, colour and profiles. Make sure it's age appropriate. It you're 45 don't have a dead straight hairline with pointed defined side profiles.

Do your home work and ensure you convey your wishes to your practitioner and you'll be fine.

I confirm what Rob said. If you are not aware about this treatment, there is no way you can spot it. I told no one, no one said anything. My mother keeps asking me to grow my hair back lol. One more thing, it looks much better in real than in pictures.

I'm skeptical that it's undetectable to all people at all times.  And once a couple of people know, they will usually tell others, and then it will be more obvious to everyone;  people gossip.  I think in most situations, especially meeting new people, they will NOT know it's fake though, so that's a positive.

I see a lot of stories of people who were like NW6, who say, "wow, i had this done, and I went to my moms, and even my own mother assumed I had just regrown my hair;  if even my mother can't tell, then no one can";  or, "I work with such sarcastic blokes who love to take the piss, if anyone ever had something wrong, theyd make a joke of it, but they've never even said anything"

eh maybe, but when I started wearing a wig, people really went out of their way to pretend to suddenly act like they didn't notice anything (family included);  but then I was just upfront and told people, and obviously they knew and were just being polite;  people aren't stupid, and they know exactly who is balding and who is not;  anything thats taboo or awkward, people will go out of their way to pretend they're naive

if you go to forums for wigs and 'hair pieces', people will say the same kind of things about how no one ever notices, that even their mom is fooled, etc;  

all of that being said, I'm still firmly pro-SMP;  I think it makes people look aesthetically better, and even if eventually the jig is up, I still think in many situations it's better to 'look better' and have people know it's fake, than to look bald and ugly (although some people look decent bald);  when I eventually get this done, I'm not expecting to pull the wool over everyone's eyes, i just want to look better;  I think if one has that attitude about it, they will probably be happier

and if i could add one last kind of cynical note;  if someone is a single guy looking to date, I think when meeting women, they won't initially know you have 'fake hair', so they might consider getting to know you, whereas if you were rocking the horse shoe they'd never even consider talking to you at the jump;  eventually they will realize your 'hair' is fake, or you will have to tell them, but I think by then in certain situations they'll already like other things about you so hopefully like 34.7% of them won't dump you about that;  that may be a little manipulative to think about, but going bald young is cruel

anyways to improve detectability, a lot of people should probably get SMP + combined FUE in strategic regions for texture;  I've seen a lot of people mention Ian Watson has had this done himself, which explains why his pictures look a lot better now than they used to

I'm skeptical that it's undetectable to all people at all times.  And once a couple of people know, they will usually tell others, and then it will be more obvious to everyone;  people gossip.  I think in most situations, especially meeting new people, they will NOT know it's fake though, so that's a positive.

I see a lot of stories of people who were like NW6, who say, "wow, i had this done, and I went to my moms, and even my own mother assumed I had just regrown my hair;  if even my mother can't tell, then no one can";  or, "I work with such sarcastic blokes who love to take the piss, if anyone ever had something wrong, theyd make a joke of it, but they've never even said anything"

eh maybe, but when I started wearing a wig, people really went out of their way to pretend to suddenly act like they didn't notice anything (family included);  but then I was just upfront and told people, and obviously they knew and were just being polite;  people aren't stupid, and they know exactly who is balding and who is not;  anything thats taboo or awkward, people will go out of their way to pretend they're naive

if you go to forums for wigs and 'hair pieces', people will say the same kind of things about how no one ever notices, that even their mom is fooled, etc;  

all of that being said, I'm still firmly pro-SMP;  I think it makes people look aesthetically better, and even if eventually the jig is up, I still think in many situations it's better to 'look better' and have people know it's fake, than to look bald and ugly (although some people look decent bald);  when I eventually get this done, I'm not expecting to pull the wool over everyone's eyes, i just want to look better;  I think if one has that attitude about it, they will probably be happier

and if i could add one last kind of cynical note;  if someone is a single guy looking to date, I think when meeting women, they won't initially know you have 'fake hair', so they might consider getting to know you, whereas if you were rocking the horse shoe they'd never even consider talking to you at the jump;  eventually they will realize your 'hair' is fake, or you will have to tell them, but I think by then in certain situations they'll already like other things about you so hopefully like 34.7% of them won't dump you about that;  that may be a little manipulative to think about, but going bald young is cruel

anyways to improve detectability, a lot of people should probably get SMP + combined FUE in strategic regions for texture;  I've seen a lot of people mention Ian Watson has had this done himself, which explains why his pictures look a lot better now than they used to

The proof of the pudding is in the eating

Have you ever seen anyone who's had SMP?

If so what did you think?

The proof of the pudding is in the eating

Have you ever seen anyone who's had SMP?

If so what did you think?

I've never seen anyone IRL who I thought had SMP, but I'm not in a region that has a clinic, so it's unlikely I'd encounter them very often anyways given I stopped going out much once my hair loss got severe

but think of that thread where someone said, "I saw a guy with SMP on Big Brother Bit on the Side";  then someone posted the video, and yeah it was a guy who had been to the clinic;  well how did that initial poster snuff it out in the crowd?  there's a certain distinct shiny look in harsh studio lighting that a NW5-7 bald head + SMP gives off that's distinctly different than a NW1-3 who decides to wet shave their head (I was hoping that this wasn't the case with anti-shine products, but according to certain people they don't work THAT WELL;  was disapointed with this news, but hope it's inaccurate);  that guy on Big Brother Bit on the Side had a really realistic/modest treatment too and was wet shaved to the bone

I'm not really sure why this is, but HatingHats said it had something to do with hair follicular pits absorbing light (or something);  which is why i reiterate that I think SMP + FUE is a great great option, and a total game changer (you just need money;  I might consider selling a kidney or something); 

I basically agree with most of the points raised above, if done correctly it can be 'virtually undetectable' to the average joe who has no knowledge this exists then as long as it isn't too dark, blended badly, straight edge anywhere and the hairline looks realistic it will fool them. I say virtually because in life nothing is perfect and there are things you could pick up on if you knew what you were looking for.

The treatment does have its tells though mainly the distinction a lot of people's treatments have in the dots, shaved to the bone hair doesn't have distinct dots it looks more blurred until the hair pushes through the scalp then it begins to have distinction but due to having no 3D effect once the scab disappears this here is one of the biggest tells, example -post SMP look at the top of the head, your seeing distinct dots with no 3d to them, look at the sides/back your looking at a smudgey blur with no clear definition (assuming they actually cut there hair like they should) The average person who had zero knowledge of this would never probably look into it enough to notice but someone who did have knowledge of this procedure whose looking for it could easily do this and spot the difference. Other tells being a lot top darker than sides, although side hair is typically ever so slightly lighter (due to being made up of less follicles) it would be hard to distinguish it once shaved down the tone would be a fraction or two lighter at most.  The average person who doesn't know SMP is a real thing though would likely never pick up on these things as they wouldn't be looking at you trying to decipher if you've got a tattoo.

@curiosity I've seen a few guys outside of HIS clinics who I know have had the treatment using the above as my treatment spotting signs, if you see any in future give it a go just don't stare directly at them they might think your interested :P.

I agree with what you say about people not having a clue though especially family, if your a baldy forever and people know your balding unless they are really really dense and don't realize hair doesn't magically grow back (which I think most of the population should know) then they are going to notice this magic 5 o'clock shadow coming out of no where but like you say 95% of people wont mention it, unless they are really rude and like to make people feel terrible putting them on the spot, most humans aren't like that or for a better word 'evil' its more likely these people will think you've gotten a hair transplant or something though but will never ask you directly.

Simply with a full head of shaved hair (no guard+) the hairs would act as a sort of 'soaker' for the sunlight, they'd block more surface area of your scalp so the sunlight would have less of an area to reflect back on, therefore reducing the shiny bald look. Think I already weighed in on the FuE + SMP combo chatter with you elsewhere so i'll leave it on this one :P.

Actually we are all a bit paranoiac about our heads. I can assure that people don't give that much importance to what's happening on your head. Moreover I encourage you to book an appointment so you can see it in person and have a proper opinion.

Depends where you come from. If you go to a bald dome to a wig with plenty of hair, people will suspect something. When you still have have hair left and shave to the bone, it's such a big change that people focus on this rather on the "fake growing hair" on top. I was also surprised that my own mother didn't say anything and if you read my diary you can see that even after questionning her about that she couldn't spot it. I have already had 3 HT and she knows it so she would have come to open to me about that. People just don't care.

whereas if you were rocking the horse shoe they'd never even consider talking to you at the jump

It's obviously wrong. Most women older than 30 yo don't care about hair and we know it. It's just about our self-esteem.

anyways to improve detectability, a lot of people should probably get SMP + combined FUE in strategic regions for texture

I had 3 HT before, all very successful. Honestly it doesn't help at all now that it is shaved. Many here agree that's it's a waste of money to do FUE before SMP. Plus you get scars. 

Simply with a full head of shaved hair (no guard+) the hairs would act as a sort of 'soaker' for the sunlight, they'd block more surface area of your scalp so the sunlight would have less of an area to reflect back on, therefore reducing the shiny bald look.

HatingHats has done some extensive testing about this (read his thread http://forum.hishairclinic.com/topic/2151-the-mht-ball-starts-rolling/) to compare with real shaved hair. Results are not as good as natural hair, but are far to be bad. Your worst enemy is an oily scalp which makes it shinny. If you have a clean head it shines not that much more than a shaved head.

Curiosity, I met a week ago a Spanish guy who had the treatment done. He is blond like me, white as hell -better, white as the snow is-, so a dark spot in his head would be easily spotted... trust me, IM-PO-SSI-BLE to detect. I think there's a big difference being bald one day and having a wig the next day and being shaved and the next day look like if you were let your hair growth a little... trust me, two weeks ago I had my doubts... now if I could I'd be having it done tomorrow.

@Max Yeah I've seen it before it mentioned reflectivity of a scalp with hair against that with none and then that with his tattoo which I believe he said actually helped to a degree. It was a very informative post.

My point in the post was just to put a simple explanation of why hair reduces shine back for us common folk, without going into a 2 page study of scientific reasons :P.

Im in the business of confrontaion (Retail Security ) and ive been n/w 7 for 30 yrs - ive now had SMP and all I get are good comments , if the folks I deal with thought I had a tattoo on my head they would tell me and everyone else , it is an optical illusion - a bloody good one , see it for real !!

MaxG, how come the 3 HTs didn't help with the look?  Wouldn't you be able to rock more of a electric razor shave with some transplanted hair, as opposed to the wet shave?

I've always thought that a SMP under a kind of 0 grade buzz cut would look more authentic, especially around the hairline/temple region (if one had hair there).  It's hard though, because the transplanted hair has to be low enough for a youthful hairline or it won't work, which is not something most surgeons are used to.

I was speaking to an old friend who is now a qualified doctor. He commented, "why you shaving your head!?!" at the time he was about 30cm away if that as we were in the car. This guy honestly notices everything and says it. He never noticed this, and i have some dots on my right profile needing shrunk still. What a procedure! I had no anti shine on (as im skint and cant afford any at all) Iv had my head rubbed and people genuinly dont notice.

I have not told anyone I have had the treatment, and yet I have been around my parents, sister and extended family (who see me regularly) many times now and not once have they mentioned anything.  I work as a full time teacher and was in last week for the a-level results, surrounded by 100's of 16, 17 and 18 year olds the only comments I had were "wow sir your hair looks much better like that" I even had a few "grow your hair out" comments.

as long as I keep the real hair trimmed no one has noticed.  I was so worried but its amazing to walk around with people and they not mentioned a thing.

MaxG, how come the 3 HTs didn't help with the look?  Wouldn't you be able to rock more of a electric razor shave with some transplanted hair, as opposed to the wet shave?

I've always thought that a SMP under a kind of 0 grade buzz cut would look more authentic, especially around the hairline/temple region (if one had hair there).  It's hard though, because the transplanted hair has to be low enough for a youthful hairline or it won't work, which is not something most surgeons are used to.

If I let my hair grow out a bit, it makes everything detectable. So I have to shave everything to the bone HT or not. So I can say I would have the same result if I hadn't done the HT and wouldn't get scars.

HT are eventually good for people balding in their late 30s or in their 40s. If you start loosing hair strongly before, HT will never be able to restore a regular density. The donor area is not that large by a nw6/7 person, so you are basically dividing your density. HT is fine is you are loosing your hair only on the crown, or only on the front line. If you are balding everywhere it's not the correct answer to the issue.

Many of my friends are real dicks when it's about jokes and physical flaws. I can tell they would't have been that fair if they would have noticed some thing. Some even want to shave their head now. You have to this in person, this will change your mind. One more thing, pictures don't do justice to this treatment. It looks better in real. And some are better than others.

I used to think the treatment had an extra 'something' when the person has at least some hair buzzed to a zero, for the usual reasons like texture, 3D effect etc. The logic stacks up so what you say should be correct, and your opinion is well supported on this forum.

I can assure you however that in most cases, the most realistic illusion is created when the hair is shaved right down. When I first had my treatment I used clippers on a zero, but the need to shave everyday became a real bore so I bought the Wahl Balding Clippers that took it down even further. It looked better, but the maintenance issues were still there.

I now shave my head every other day with a Remington rotary face shaver, which is far more acceptable from a maintenance point of view, and cuts my hair to just a tiny fraction longer than if I wet shaved. I can assure you that the realism of my treatment is on a whole new level now. The closer I shave, the more realistic and awesome the illusion becomes.

If you go from a NW7 to a NW 1 in 2 weeks off course people will notice. They won't know what exactly happened though. I touched Ian's head when I got my patch test done, I didn't feel any hair at all on top, I couldn't see where the smp started either though, I could only tell by touch.

My patch test is basically divided in 2 sections, 1 with small dots, 1 with big ones. I ve taken many pics  under many different light conditions. It's very, very hard to tell the difference between follicles and ink on the area with small dots. I have looked at it with mirrors as well and the only way to clearly see the difference between the smp and follicles is on photos taken with strong flash taken from a close distance.

When it comes to people knowing or not knowing, I wouldn't care much as long as it looks good and realistic. It's like girls with real boobs and fake boobs, I think every straight man in this forum likes them both as long as the boobs look good, at least that's my opinion.

"When it comes to people knowing or not knowing, I wouldn't care much as long as it looks good and realistic. It's like girls with real boobs and fake boobs, I think every straight man in this forum likes them both as long as the boobs look good, at least that's my opinion"

Absolutely agree with username, thats my attitude too

thanks for the reply guys

so i take it the shorter the better so you cant tell

i have shaved with r91 and it is a very close shave, as i want to keep a bit of a stubble

however it takes ages

can anyone suggest a shaver that cuts no more shorter than r91 but in a faster time

thanks

If it is done properly and the hairline is given the correct amount of dispersal, then yes, HIS SMP is truly undetectable unless someone has eleven hours to stare at the back of your head on an international flight from Hong Kong to LA.  Barring that, ... it is undetectable.

If it is done properly and the hairline is given the correct amount of dispersal, then yes, HIS SMP is truly undetectable unless someone has eleven hours to stare at the back of your head on an international flight from Hong Kong to LA.  Barring that, ... it is undetectable.

Could you explain that Hating?

Send it from my Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300

If you (or any other person who has not suffered neural damage to their occipital lobes) stare at a scalp which has received a series of SMP treatments from one foot away or closer, you will usually be able to detect their treatments.  Fortunately, the amount of circumstances in life where anyone enters your private space (usually defined in Western cultures as closer than about three feet) and has the opportunity to stare at your head for an extended period of time unobserved by you is very rare.  (a person sitting directly behind you on a long airline flight and an anesthesiologist or surgical nurse watching you during an operation when you are under general anesthesia are about the only occasions that come to mind).  When SMP is done well, even from one foot away and after five minutes of careful inspection, it is still difficult to spot.