Phoenix_

Cancelled My Treatment At The Last Minute

I was scheduled to have my first session tomorrow in Birmingham. I had the hotel and the train from London booked and the deposit paid. However I spent all of yesterday racked with doubt and in the end I emailed the team to say I want to delay things. 

To be honest I would say it was the following list of doubts that swayed me:

- No-one really talks about fading. At the end of the day it is a tattoo. Tattoos fade in the sun and no-where will get more exposure to the elements than the  top of your head.

- Ian's treatment doesn't look that great, it's just like a grey blob. Surely that indicates that the dot effect cannot be maintained long term and that repeated sessions lead to merging. In 5 years then it will look like Ian's. The longest time frame I've seen is 2 years on any videos. 

- Isn't everyone convincing themselves that it looks awesome when it really doesn't? I mean you even have to use anti-shine on your head. Surely you could get largely just the same look by simply shaving your head. 

- Some of the photos (don't want to say) on the forum and on the website don't look good. Some look like helmets. 

- Getting it lasered off if you don't like it is not as simple as they pretend. It will be expensive and could lead to scarring. 

- Take a look at the terms and conditions on the website for an honest view of the whole thing and the risks: "The SMP™ treatment is a form of tattoo and uses a pigmentation procedure to apply colorants just below the skin in the dermis, in a similar manner to traditional tattoos." , "although the treatment can be reversed, the markings can be difficult to remove and the success of any reverse procedure cannot be guaranteed" 

- It's quite an aggressive look. To make it work don't i need to be a hulking 6ft dude? (Needless to say i'm not!) 

- Everyone seems happy enough on the forum with theirs but at the end of the day the comments here are moderated, I understand the comments on youtube are moderated. I worry that I am not hearing the full picture: it's just not possible to satisfy 100% of people with something as sensitive as this surely?

- You know it's not real, so won't you worry about people catching you out? Just like you would if you were using hair concealer? 

- I work in the legal industry in the City of London. How can I possibly go to client meetings with top companies and work with some of the smartest and successful people i've ever met in the knowledge I have a tattoo on my head?

- I just want to be happy like everyone else. Doesn't getting this done make me vain and weak? After all I just have male pattern baldness. Yes it started when i was 16, yes i'm only 26 now and already Norwood 4 and yes i hate it but surely if i was any kind of man I would be able to rise above?

I still haven't ruled out getting the treatment in the future and on that note if anyone in London has had it done and would be willing to meet (so i could see the finished product) then please send me a private message. I have lost a fair sum of money for now but I hope the HIS team will be understanding on that front. 

Are you to trying to convince us or yourself in your statement?

At the end of the day it is a big decision and not one to be taken lightly. If you're not 100% comfortable and are happy the way you are then you did the right thing.

I think it's unfair to say comments are moderated. There are plenty of downsides posted on here as people ride the roller coaster. Would I go through it all again? (I'm not quite finished yet) hell yeah, in a heart beat.

Regarding losing money, you will forfeit your deposit because #### is now going to be stood around for 2.5 hours with no client to fill your slot at such late notice.

Just to clarify, it is not my intent to dissuade anyone from getting the treatment done nor to criticise anyone who had it done.

I'm a very genuine person who has been using this forum in order to learn about the treatment so I simply posted my thought process in the interests of transparency.

My interactions with HIS have all been very professional. As i say i am still considering the treatment but need more time to mull it over, and ideally would like to meet with someone who has it done. 

Phoenix , I enjoyed reading your post I too also share your worries about fading and re doting but for me that risk was far outweighed by the lack of any self worth I felt about my self . I'm still recovering from my procedure 2 weeks ago and while its maybe not going to end up perfect It is extremely good and I'm thrilled with it so far but yes the future is a worry but isn't it always . I'm not quite ready to show it yet and your not ready for it either but maybe in a year I would ? Feel free to drop your email in a private message and I might give you a buzz one day when I'm in the city . Have a little think about this scenario though before you decide to do anything like this ..... Lets say one day you find a bottle and you give it a rub and a genie pops out and says Phoenix it's your lucky day I'm going to give you one wish to change any one thing about your appearance ! But there's a catch! the change that I will make for you can only be seen by either just you or just by other people and not both ! So you have to then decide what's more important for you to look good to yourself but you'll always know everybody else just sees the old you or you'll look great to everyone else but you'll still see your self in the mirror as you always did no matter what people say about how good you look ........ I suspect the vast majority of people on here chose the same option and until you can makes choice one way or the other no procedure is right for you ! I hope that helps ? Good luck mate tsr

Hey Phoenix you raised some good points.  I read this forum a couple times a week because I have a scar I want to improve and have strongly considered doing my full head as well.  I think if you aren't happy with what you have seen so far don't do it.  I wish I had used a little more caution before I got my hair transplant many years ago.   As for me I think I will do my scar since I don't have much to lose and if I really think it looks natural I may opt to do more.  

As far as the forum, it is definitely a controlled environment.  Posts get deleted and users get banned for saying the wrong thing.   This is a forum run by HIS to promote HIS and not necessarily  to disseminate info about SMP.  Case in point you can say GLI/AC/Vinci screwed up my head, but if you say GLI/AC/vinci did an amazing job your post/account will most likely be deleted/banned.  So that information will be skewed. 

Thats not strictly fair. All we ask is that our competitors are not promoted here. Its our forum that we manage, maintain and pay for. If GLI, Artistry or Vinci want to promote themselves, they should go ahead and get their own forum.

The only time members are banned is when they show disrespect towards our company or the community here. Negativity is fine, but when its constant over a prolonged period of time without anything positive to say in between, it helps no-one.

There are hundreds of threads on this forum that are less than complimentary towards HIS, but we do not delete those. Besides, why would you come to the HIS forum to tell everyone how great one of our competitors is, unless you intended to promote them?

Phoenix, I agree with Robbys comments. It sounds like you made a decision before you were ready. If that decision is not to have SMP, thats entirely your choice and we respect that decision of course.

FWIW, #### was my practitioner and it remains one of the best things I have ever done. I didnt get any special treatment just because I work here. I had the same anxieties as everyone else.

I think you need to outweigh how you feel in your current position, if then you can honestly tell your self you can mull on in life as you are then I and anyone here can respect that.

I wish you all the best whichever you choose. Me personally, I chose this as there is nothing else out there that has a track record. HT are only good if A) your comfortable money wise and B) if you want to look like a plucked doll down the line. I have shaved my head for a year prior to having treatment. so for me bald is the norm but having the treatment I now feel human again. I am also better looking and more youthful in my appearance. I do not look depressed and do not look ill in photo's any more.

HIS imo are transparent, this is why there is a forum. I see many negative post's that are still here, so to say things get deleted is bull shit.

All the best whichever path you choose

I was scheduled to have my first session tomorrow with #### in Birmingham. I had the hotel and the train from London booked and the deposit paid. However I spent all of yesterday racked with doubt and in the end I emailed the team to say I want to delay things. 

- No-one really talks about fading. At the end of the day it is a tattoo. Tattoos fade in the sun and no-where will get more exposure to the elements than the  top of your head.

- Ian's treatment doesn't look that great, it's just like a grey blob. Surely that indicates that the dot effect cannot be maintained long term and that repeated sessions lead to merging. In 5 years then it will look like Ian's. The longest time frame I've seen is 2 years on any videos. 

- Isn't everyone convincing themselves that it looks awesome when it really doesn't? I mean you even have to use anti-shine on your head. Surely you could get largely just the same look by simply shaving your head. 

- Some of the photos (don't want to say) on the forum and on the website don't look good. Some look like helmets. 

- Getting it lasered off if you don't like it is not as simple as they pretend. It will be expensive and could lead to scarring. 

- Take a look at the terms and conditions on the website for an honest view of the whole thing and the risks: "The SMP™ treatment is a form of tattoo and uses a pigmentation procedure to apply colorants just below the skin in the dermis, in a similar manner to traditional tattoos." , "although the treatment can be reversed, the markings can be difficult to remove and the success of any reverse procedure cannot be guaranteed" 

- It's quite an aggressive look. To make it work don't i need to be a hulking 6ft dude? (Needless to say i'm not!) 

- Everyone seems happy enough on the forum with theirs but at the end of the day the comments here are moderated, I understand the comments on youtube are moderated. I worry that I am not hearing the full picture: it's just not possible to satisfy 100% of people with something as sensitive as this surely?

- You know it's not real, so won't you worry about people catching you out? Just like you would if you were using hair concealer? 

- I work in the legal industry in the City of London. How can I possibly go to client meetings with top companies and work with some of the smartest and successful people i've ever met in the knowledge I have a tattoo on my head?

- I just want to be happy like everyone else. Doesn't getting this done make me vain and weak? After all I just have male pattern baldness. Yes it started when i was 16, yes i'm only 26 now and already Norwood 4 and yes i hate it but surely if i was any kind of man I would be able to rise above?

I still haven't ruled out getting the treatment in the future and on that note if anyone in London has had it done and would be willing to meet (so i could see the finished product) then please send me a private message. I have lost a fair sum of money for now but I hope the HIS team will be understanding on that front. 

- Fading is discussed quite a lot on here its one of the biggest points that gets raised along with hairlines.

- Honestly I've met Ian and his treatment was one of the better ones i'd seen, it looked much more natural, naturally scalp hair doesn't have definition till it reaches balding clipper length, so taking it to the bone/face shaver length it appears as more of a smear, there are no defined darker dots, so for me Ian's was actually more natural than a lot I've encountered in person. I have also seen quite a few bad ones though so I wont deny that some do genuinely look bad. I'll agree though long term nobody has anything to base anything off though, its all complete speculation on if it blotches or bleeds in my eyes because there's no research or proof to back anything up, the oldest client I've actually heard of was a month or 2 ago when a 5yr client came here to discuss lasering his hairline as he'd never been happy how straight and unnatural it looked, I know HIS say they've been doing this 11+ yrs but I've yet to see anybody older than 5yrs ago maybe they treated like 1 guy a month or something. I'm presuming they didn't have a influx in popularity and expansion till about 3yrs ago.

- I agree here but not just on anti-shine, the treatment is fairly visible in most lighting, anti-shine doesn't make much difference under strong lighting if any. Also being completely bald you wouldn't have a outline on your head, the treatment does have its problems, more recently I've brought up some I've seen while here over the years and after going through the process myself. Some problems I've seen without going into detail, straight hairlines, no breaks in hairlines, a lot of side profile work, a lot of scar work, too artificially dark example Brian Cranston (Heisenberg from Breaking Bad) he's got fairly dark brown hair naturally, shaved down its near invisible and the sides near enough match the exact colour of the top, top way darker than sides, bad blending, defined dots on a man whose wet shaving and his side/back hair is a smear (bad blending), artificially dense (to the bone hair doesn't look dense or as dark as some peoples), hairlines being as dense as the whole head, this again by the law of nature is impossible, all hairlines are made up of single hairs, they also contain less hairs per cm2 than any other part of the head, so the hairline should always be more sparse than any other part of the head which brings me to my next point, receded look's, if your getting a receded look its not going to be super dense at the beginning of where you start, your hair is supposed to be receding as you've specified so by that logic your hair should look thinner at the front + temples and more sparse, not a solid consistent density all through your hair.

- Again I do agree, I also wont bring up any I feel that way about but I have seen some very unnatural appearances come through here, for reasons I've listed above, I also feel the old HIS archive of pictures 5 minutes after treatment are pointless as they don't represent the final product at all, recently a guy made a thread about his treatment looking bad, he was under the belief the pictures on the site of people sporting buzz cut lengths with the fresh treatment was the final product, so all its doing is giving some people unrealistic expectations and misinformation.

- Agreed tattoo removal shouldn't be taken lightly, you can argue a good technician wont scar you but as Katrina recently brought up going over the same place twice will cause scarring, you could argue a good tech will never do this but what about accounting for human error? they could dose off, have there mind on something else, lose concentration, you get my point any tech can cause scarring if there mind wonders off, a forum go-er recently PM'd me telling me he'd had one laser session and it hadn't removed his hairline work so I feel advertising 'one and its gone' isn't fair either, so he requires another. Its also a painful process your basically boiling your skin alive, then you have to deal with the healing time and overall downtime, also it got brought up in the laser thread about the surrounding area's going darker, I have heard about this side effect before when a black gentleman got his hairline removed and claimed it had darkened other places, he never made another update to say if it returned to normal over time though, another side effect being lasers can damage the skin and cause loss of natural skin pigment. Everything has its positives and negatives, I feel telling people laser is simple is unfair because everything has its downsides.

- A sort of disclaimer, they cant guarantee removal because if someone ever does it and cant remove it they've basically opened themselves up to a law suit.

- I wouldn't say that, it can work on most men, men who are white have the hardest time though, its got the stigma of being a racist/thug look to it if your a guy with a 'I've been around the block a few times' face you'll probably have a harder time at people not looking at you and thinking your out for a fight.

- For the most part this is the most open forum I've been on, i'm not overly positive about the treatment, I feel it has its good points but acknowledge the bad points, I also had a bad result and I've openly thrown my opinion around about that, I've never seen any of my comments deleted or edited to reflect in a different light. I've only seen 1 member banned apart from the usual forum advertisement spammers/bots, that member being Kramer although he did raise some good points at times and looked at the treatment objectively he wasn't the most positive vibe here, very rarely would he post anything remotely positive, I know a lot of people complained about him and Damien did give him a fair warning, he didn't listen and he got banned for it, so I can understand, he was here for over a year though and in that time he probably said about 3 positive things in total.

If anything is deleted or closed its usually given a explanation somewhere, the only one thread I've seen deleted on here without a good response was when Greyfox advertised his services as a 'REAL HIS CLIENT' this brought a lot of controversy nobody posted anything positive about it and about 20 questions where raised, the thread got deleted and I got told 'i'll do a response soon' it never got it own thread, we never got a response till David made a thread 'use of reps' bringing it up again and a lot of the questions raise in the first thread didn't get responded too, basically he was hard selling the crap out of the treatment (something HIS claim they don't support), trying to get himself business from members, one member messaged him and he wanted $200 to meet this guy for what I can expect would be about 30 minutes, yet HIS is paying him. It wasn't like he was travelling a far distance either and it would cover costs, he wanted to meet in a coffee shop in NYC (his hometown). If the guys getting paid for bringing in new clients he's never going to be unbiased, hard selling the crap out of it in the posts, preaching his treatment to be the ultimate one ever was clear as day to anyone who read it. The fact he'd had the treatment 3 weeks, been posting on the forum about 3 months and had about 20 total posts and called himself a veteran at first, claiming he could basically do the work of the practitioner (could tell you the pigment needed the style to use, the hairline design, the density) then the next day he became 'an expert on all things SMP and SMP related' sorry after 20 posts on the forum over 3 months and 3 weeks post treatment your no fucking expert or veteran! no matter what bullshit you shine on it, there were more and more things brought up in the thread but none of these things or the deleted things ever got a response. The only responses given were cherry picked out of the new thread for me this is the only deleted thread that's never had a genuine fully backed response and honestly anyone who read it could see how emotional I got about the idea of future clients being ripped off by this joker, I did expect a bit more like a full response to everything or nearly everything and most of all the thread not deleted as it came across like it had to be hidden from people. Other than this the forums always been very open from what I've seen.

- I did, mine looked bad and unconvincing though, I imagine its in a lot of peoples minds and maybe some just completely block it out.

- That's more down to your own mentality, if the idea would have bothered you that much I agree that you made the best decision for you, not feeling comfortable in your on skin is horrible, I went through it for 16 months and im happier my horizons look brighter now.

- If you can rise above it and move on just shaving your head or whatever then all the power to you! If I could do the same then I would but sadly im too vain about my appearance for me its not so much about if I look hot, its so I fit in, into this society that believes in perfection and if your going bald young then you deserve sympathy, pity or get the piss taken out of you by those more fortunate. I did SMP fully knowing that women would find me less attractive, some of the women who found me attractive before wouldn't anymore because they liked me for my long hair and good looks, I've been told i'm an very good looking guy after SMP but I knew i'd be knocked down a few pegs and i'd have a harder time attracting women after doing this, I didn't actually realize how much it would impact it in the end but I did it for freedom, for me if it gave me freedom i'd have been perfectly happy either way, it didn't give me that but the original idea was for freedom. Maybe people would say I have a weak character because I cannot accept it my bald patch and move on but for me mentally its just not an option at my age and I know a vast majority of bald/balding men are exactly the same.

Hey Phoenix - Generally, I am in agreement with some of your points.  The SMP treatment is not for everyone and I have seen some men who can pull off a decent shaved look without any SMP, treatments or aids.  So dont be rushed into anything, just take your time and if a natural look works for you, then awesome.  No treatment yet available is going to be a panacea to everyone, and that includes SMP.

A quick note about a few of your points:

Fairness of the forum - This forum is not a non profit organization, and it is being paid for by a private company.  That includes the server costs, basic maintenance, the salaries of Damien and others, etc...  Keeping that context in mind, I would say this place is pretty fair.  About an 8.5 out of 10. If you do a bit of research, you will see that HIS has allowed many to post complaints or threads discussing problems.  Of course if someone is a real dick and they make some post like, "HIS ruined my head and Ian sucks balls, ..." then that is obviously outright negativity, and is likely to result in a ban.  But if you rephrase your thread and use a bit of tact, Damien will allow it to stay up.

I have seen Ian's scalp personally on two occassions from inches away and while holding conversations.  It is done well enough that no one meeting him in say, a coffee shop from one foot away would know he had SMP or runs a scalp pigmentation business.

Some people do finish their treatments and have strong helmet like appearances.  This is because the hairlines are too straight and defined.

You dont need to be 6 ft and hulking for a shaved scalp appearance to work for you.  It very much comes down to dress, accessories and the manner in which you carry yourself.  You can rock a clean shaved scalp with a nice polo shirt, some decent jeans and a pair of Oxfords while being clean shaven and in decent shape, or you can wear your SMP while doing serious weightlifting, with a visible neck tattoo, ear rings, and armless t-shirt and a goatee.  The first will easily fit in with associates in the legal community while the second may not.  How you dress and carry yourself is on your shoulders.

There are other comments I would make to, but have to rush to the departmental meeting (plus Nightwood made many really honest points).   At the end of the day, no rush.  And if SMP doesnt seem like something you could agree with, .... dont. 

Why anyone would consider fading a reason not to get this is just beyond me. So what if it fades after a couple if not more years? You'll just end up looking closer to what you looked like prior to the treatment. And the only reason anyone would get a touch up is to rectify any fading so if you are going over faded out dots with fresh dots I can't imagine there would be much of a risk for merging. 

As far as people "convincing" themselves it looks good when it "doesn't". All respect but who are you to speak for anyone's personal opinion? You may not think they look good iyo but you are obviously the minority in terms of that conclusion .  I'm also not sure how you link having to use anti shine products with having a bad looking result. Also, to say you can achieve the same look simply by shaving your head just doesn't make sense. Do you really believe theres no noticeable difference between having a hairline and not having one or between having full coverage and a horseshoe pattern? C'mon bro

You claim it's only proper for "hulking 6ft dudes" But these guys seem to be the minority here. Are you suggesting you haven't seen any smaller built guys with good results? Iv'e seen plenty.

Even though the forum is moderated that still doesn't mean that the people who are pleased with their results aren't being truthful. Plus it's not like HIS can prevent anyone who may have horrible results from blogging/vlogging about it on their own. It would seem that if even a small minority of people had bad results that HIS wasn't willing to fix you would hear about it in other forums. 

I can understand working in a corporate setting may cause extra concerns but It's not as if lawyers are going to be more adept at noticing SMP. If you're worried that if found out it would hinder your position in such a prestigious and scholarly work environment than by all means take a pass, but if it looks good then should't that be all that matters? If it looks good and you look better with it why would it matter if anyone knows including your buddies in the legal industry? Sounds like you want this but are too scared of what people might think if they find out. Isn't that in itself a lack of confidence? ironically, you're not confident that people will think you're confident if you have this treatment, but if you're the kind of guy that can "rise above" surely it should't matter if you have this done or not. It should be about you feeling good right? 

Following Lebowski's point, if my pigments fade in the future, it will just look like I'm thinning. That will leave me with a choice - refresh my treatment, or let it fade. Either way I will continue to look natural, so for me, fading really isnt an issue.

The only exception that I can think of applies to those with alopecia or with scars or other skin imperfections. For these guys I guess they would be more likely to opt for a refresher treatment but again, its hardly the end of the world.

I actually like the idea that it may fade a bit in 10-15 years or so, because it gives me the option to let it go. I doubt I will, but I like the fact that I will have a choice.

I actually like the idea of getting a touch up every 3 or 4 years.  I have scars so I think I would have to do that anyway but that's not an issue.  I think it's easy to let nerves get the best of us but I am so excited to get this done.  Nothing could be worse than hiding under a hat.  If you do not have scars and are ok with the way you look then choosing to stay the way you are is fine.  For me, this is a great option and gives me hope.

The one thing that put me off slightly us that I commented on a noticeable scar after SMP, not in a nasty way, just questioning it, and my comment was immediately removed... It makes me question what other comments I may have missed.

Genetics, your comment was removed because it was made in a way that was likely to cause offence to the person in question. It was not removed because you pointed out the scar was still noticeable.

Always enjoy reading your posts DHT that always make me giggle at some point rep+.

Your absolutely right about society though there's this unrealistic expectation because movie stars etc look what people call perfect that everyone must look there best to blend into society. The woman point you bring up is a fantastic example to use, breast implants is also something i'd throw on that list.

As for knowing what Ian's packing.... well I think you should take a step back and have a good look at your friendship! hahaha.

Good points well made as always DHT. The most negative poster on this forum? Maybe, but you always show a great deal of compassion and respect for everyone here, even if your viewpoints aren't always universally shared. The forum wouldn't be the same without you

As for Ian's willy...... Next time we're side by side at the urinal ill find out and let you know....... Or perhaps not......... Errr........... No

I was scheduled to have my first session tomorrow with #### in Birmingham. I had the hotel and the train from London booked and the deposit paid. However I spent all of yesterday racked with doubt and in the end I emailed the team to say I want to delay things. 

Yes it's fading but slowly. You just have to do touch ups from time to time. Let's say every two years. Even if it was every 6 months this won't be an issue for me.

I have seen Ian today. First I don't think he look as bad as you say. The truth is I am not really interested in his treatment as he was the guinea pig. A lot has been improved since (like broken hairlines etc)

It looks better with anti-shine like ANY shaved head does. But you can go without anti-shine if you fancy the shinny effect. If you just shave your head you will get a ridiculous horse shoe, not the skinhead look.

Forum always relate about issues. Sure there are from time to time issues. But there are also 100s of happy customers, including me. You have to do your homework and not ask something silly with a too low hairline for example.

There is a huge thread about removing the treatment. They have their own expert and it takes one, some times two treatments and it's done in 20mn. Doesn't sound that complicated to me. You also get an happy client here relating how he lasered off his frontline to get a new one.

Legal terms, it's always like that they have to be careful. You are into this, aren't you? I understand your concerns though, I had the same and only testimonials from this forum gave me the confidence to make the jump.

You are right. You have to like the bad boy look. I do love it and if you dress smart enough you don't appear rough.

Comments are not moderated.

Even my mother didn't see it. I haven't told anyone and no one has questioned. Again if you don't ask for something silly with a too straight front line no one will spot it.

Because they won't know it's a tattoo. But maybe the bald look is better in your industry ;-)

This is about psychology. We can't answer about happiness and everything around this. Each one his own quest.

You can easily meet some people who has done that. There are great people here who have accepted to push them forward and release their pictures just to help people like you.

To sum up, I am a client and I am 100% happy with the treatment. I would prefer to have real hair for sure but this is no option when you are a Norwood 6/7. Now I don't think anymore about hairloss. I have tried anything else before (hair transplant, concealers) but wigs. Spend some time on this forum and you will make your mind. The only thing is that you have to be ready to sport the shaved look. Like you said it's not for everyone.

What I would say to Phoenix is that since he is a NW4 and still has some hair, he has plenty of options to consider to make SMP work for him better.  Things I regret I had not done back when I was in an earlier Norwood stage.

#1.  Consider taking propecia to maintain the hair.  But propecia can be a really dangerous drug, so here is how to mitigate that.  Go to an endocrinologist and get a full hormonal workup (SHBG, free T, T, DHT, estradiol, etc.).  Measure the dimensions of your chest and be hyper viligant to any possibly gynecomastia.  Try the drug for a few weeks and go back to the endocrinologist to repeat the hormonal workup to see how much the finasteride has changed things.  If your estradiol has gone way up for instance, stop the drug ASAP.  Some people get lucky though, and don't really have any sides.

#2.  If the propecia is cool with your body, you'll probably go from a NW4 to a 3.5 or so.  Then you can consider some hair transplants to lower your hairline and recreate temple points.  Make sure the surgeon knows you're doing the HT in conjunction with an anticipated SMP.  Many top doctors are now aware of this and can plan.

#3.  Afer all of that, your hair will still probably be a bit thin or lacking, but that's where SMP will be at it's most useful.  Use it as a concealer, and you can reasonably expect to look like someone with little to no hair loss.

All of these steps might seem extreme or expensive, but trust me, it'll be worth it.  Save some money and do all of that, and you'll be happy with how you look the rest of your life.  Otherwise you might stay in limbo always searching for an answer and not being confident in your appearance.

SMP works best if you already have a lot of hair, and the examples of bad outcomes you've seen are mostly on slick bald guys.  Don't have to worry much about fading, shaving your head close, or shine.  Hopefully it's financially realistic for you.