KJK1LL3R

Anyone Use A Foil Shaver To Shave Head?

Hey guys, I couldn't use the Remington R91 or my Philips SensoTouch 3D rotary shaver to shave my head as both simply caused to much irritation and left me with razor burn on the back of my neck and my temple areas. I've heard that foil shavers are better than rotary shavers for sensitive skin as they require fewer passes. If I'm gonna buy one I'll probably go for a Braun 799cc or a Panasonic LV81 but I'm not sure which is better.

I think you'll find most people here use a rotary shaver, clippers or they wet shave. That could explain the lack of feedback.

I'd love to help, but I have no experience of using foil shavers. I stick by my Remington rotary and Wahl Balding Clippers :)

Yes, I use a 7 Series Braun shaver.

Exactly like you I find rotary shavers irritate, and would agree with what you have heard that foil are superior to rotary.

I would highly recommend a 7 series braun, - superb, quality bit of kit, and does not irritate my head in the slightest.

I also have some control over the length when I shave too... I can pass over the shaver using medium pressure for a longer shave, or, I can stretch the skin and stand the hairs up with my other hand as I shave to get wet-shave close.  Either way the braun leaves a professional even finish :)

Damien, well I have only used a rotary on my face, and that was a while ago... - so cannot make a direct comparison i'm afraid.  I would guess if there is any difference it would be small (although that might be what you want).

What I can tell you is that if I use my foil shaver in the way I described above, ie running my free hand to stretch the skin in front of the Braun, then it goes down to the bone.

I always used to shave my head this way before MHT... and people have mentioned that they believe it's been wet-shaved.

Also, it may help that because a foil is flat, it's easier to keep it close to the flat of your free hand when you're stretching your skin to stand the hairs upwards.. - (hope that makes sense?)

I have quite dark hair (my MHT pigment is 22, 24, 26), and using the foil used to completely disquise my ugly horse shoe... so it does go close :) - (I am white, but I do have a bit of a natural tan/olive skin, so that might have also helped here also...).

I would suggest trying a foil first if possible,  maybe a mate has one.., to see what you think first.

As is often the case, you get what you pay for, I have had a 3 (I think) series Braun before, and the 7 is a noticable improvement in terms of performance & quality.

Thanks Phil. Just wondering because contrary to what I said earlier, I have actually had a brief experience with a foil shaver. It was a REALLY cheap model and I hated it, so I threw it away after about a month. That was a few years ago now.

I know I cant compare a cheap foil with an expensive rotary, so just trying to get some idea of how a higher calibre foil shaver would stack up against the mighty Remington R655 I'm using now.

Actually a correction - I'm using the Wahl Balding Clippers at the moment but when my SMP is settled, I plan to use the Remington again to see how it looks. I can't deny that a shaver is far quicker and easier than the clippers, not to mention more portable.

If it ends up looking ok, I'll want to use a shaver full time, and if a foil shaver will cause less irritation and provide similar results, thats got to be worthy of consideration.

Phil, what do you make of the "extra sensitive" mode on the series 7? Does it really help to reduce irritation and would it leave the the hair a little longer than the normal and extreme settings?

You can hear the machine working harder and faster as you toggle through the settings.  I dont know what else it does, - whether it actually raises the blades closer to the foil I'm not sure - haven't looked into it.

On my face I'm always after the closest possible shave.. and I have found the highest (most aggressive) setting completely comfortable.  So whilst I experimented a lot with the settings when I first got it, - these days I just leave it on full-pelt.  As it has never causes irritation I've never felt the need to change and to be honest, I have forgotten the other settings are there!

When doing my head, if i want a slighty longer shave I have just been using lighter pressure, but it might be worth lower the setting to see if it makes any difference now you mention it...

As I say, you can hear the difference between settings, however in practice, I think the end result is minimal.

I was going to. but then decided to stick with a normal one as I can actually let mine grow for 3-4 days if needed with it still looking acceptable blend-wise. provided it dosent go too lighter over time!

Its hard to know what a person can get away with. Damien can get away with the Wahl Balding clippers and they cut to a 0.4mm length. I would imagine anything under 1mm would probably still blend reasonably well.

You get to know what you can get away with, and you'll get to know how to shave it to keep it looking it's best.  I use those Wahl clippers too and it looks fine, - sometimes I'll use the wahl first and blend it in moreso with the Braun.  if I Braun it close it gives me a slightly different look of being slightly longer on top, which I think looks good and also allows me more growing time.

I found that i could get away with much longer growth in the early days, but as it settles and fades, the shorter you need to go... / more often you need to clip it

If you use the Braun Series 7 to shave your head, how often do the blades wear out?

I have a Braun Series 5 and, although I've used it for 3 years on my face, whenever I try to use in on my head it takes forever and quickly dulls the blades.  Do you think my experience will be different with the Series 7?  I don't want to spend $200 only to find out it's a glorified Series 5.

Craig - good question

I have no idea as I've never replaced them?  Actually I've never even considered blade wear...  :o

Just googled - Braun recommends changing the blades every 18 months... - searched my emails & I brought them in Jan 12, so that's 18 months ago exactly

I havent' noticed a degrade in performance, but that's not to say that there hasn't been... -  new blade & foil unit is about £20.

I have only been shaving my head with the Braun about 6 months however.. - would using it on your head wear out the blades a LOT faster?

Craig - good question

I have no idea as I've never replaced them?  Actually I've never even considered blade wear...  :o

Just googled - Braun recommends changing the blades every 18 months... - searched my emails & I brought them in Jan 12, so that's 18 months ago exactly

I havent' noticed a degrade in performance, but that's not to say that there hasn't been... -  new blade & foil unit is about £20.

I have only been shaving my head with the Braun about 6 months however.. - would using it on your head wear out the blades a LOT faster?

Not sure about that one. In theory the blades should wear out faster because they are being asked to cut hair over a larger surface area. On the other hand, hair on the head is much softer than hair on the face, so it is easier to cut through.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other............