I like the hairline you chose, it suits you very well. Very conservative though as you said. It takes time to write such detailed posts and I am grateful for this. It's really valuable for future clients.

Thanks MaxG, I just wish the forum software was a bit more refined, it would be nice if the pictures were inline.

Yeah, I'm not usually a conservative person but I know how important it is to get the hairline right, and it's easier to add than take away!

Hello there,

It's still early days to give an assessment.

I like the fact that it's all very documented. Kudos for that.

Can I ask if your going to keep a straight hairline or you intend to break it up on your second procedure?

Same goes for the temples...

I think you will need at least 3/4 procedures to get it spot on.

Best of luck and thanks for the update.

The plan is to feather the hairline, I want #### to use the broken / jagged technique, as well as alternating colours to blend the pigments into the skin and create a very soft hairline.

I want the temples even softer, and the same overall feathering / broken look on my neck.

And yep, I've been booked in for 4 sessions.

:-)

Nice one for posting up the pics - enjoying seeing this as your story is almost identical to mine - I've had Alopecia since I was 10 (36 now) with constant large moving patches, always wishing it would either grow back or just all fall out, not the crappy inbetween thing. Had my first session last week on the 8th, next one this week on the 15th, 22nd after that. And yeah, behind the ears was pretty hardcore, you male pattern balding guys have it easy haha! 

Thanks for the detailed post that's amazing. Im in on Thursday so this has helped me! I will post a diary too :) Got to say when I was reading your post and you mentioned the patches etc.. before I got to the pictures I almost imagined an unfinished patchy first session, then I seen the pictures and was shocked! Looks really good I cant wait for the 2nd session set of pictures :) Congrats and ill be supporting you all the way

Thanks housingman12, i was surprised at how good session 1 looked initially, some of it has faded now to almost not there, so i think certain patches of my head will take multiple sessions to get perfect.

Good luck for thursday!

Hi Matey

Looking awesome so far, good choise of hairline I think and you can see how good it is going to be after session 2 and 3.. You must be chuffed so far!

How long was the first session?

Hey Username, i fully intend to so, my plan at the moment is iPhone snaps on the day and the day after, with another set the day before (for a before / after of each session) as my sessions are so close together (less than 1 month from start to finish) i'm also planning on updating this thread every month after the last session for 6 months or so (i have alarms set in my calendar) as well as updating should i need any touch ups etc.

So don't worry! I'm gonna bore you guys with updates! lol

Hey Daddy Pig, I AM chuffed so far, even more so as i've just had my first shave since session 1 and can really see how it's going to look when it's finished!!! First session actual ink time was about 3/3.5 hours i think. This weeks session is the killer at 4.5hrs total ink time, I have to be honest i'm more than nervous after how painful some parts were last time, just hoping it's easier second time around.

Wow craig, great blog about you whole experience... I'm in the chair tomorrow... I also have alopecia..... And almost identical to yours..

I had bouts of AA all my life but only one patch at a time, then about 6 months ago the AA went crazy... New patches every day, beard has also fell out, and one eyebrow..!!! Absolutely hate how AA has taken over my life,it's been a struggle the past few months but I think mentally I've now accepted it, but that doesn't mean I still don't want to look my best, which I why I'm also going down the HIS hair route... Great to see your photos of your journey, it has certainly helped me... I'm at Birmingham tomorrow morning so might bump into each other... Hope so.

Cheers.

Thanks Mr Melon, i know the feeling, it's also surprising how many people on these forums have AA and it follows the same patterns! 

Good luck for today, you're going to love it! Maybe i'll bump in to you!

craig,

I like the hairline and the temples and I think your ideas on how to make the hairline more natural are spot on. I too had patches in the back of my head near my ears and I know that pain. That said, it gets better after each treatment. I think the first one is a combination of not knowing/fearing what you're feeling that exacerbates the pain. Anyway, just wanted to wish you luck and tell you to hang in there. Sessions 2 & 3 are going to make a huge difference. 

Hi craig... Great to meet yesterday.... How did session two go.... ? You looked good after a week with only one session... Got to admit I'm soooo happy with my first session, I've not even bothered with my hat, and I've spoken to a few people face to face... We have definitely chosen the right thing with HIS... and the guys at HIS, especially ####, #### and Danny, are fantastic..... Is the feeling and look after session two even better, hard to believe ...

Speak soon

About 48hrs ago now I had my second session of SMP at the Birmingham Clinic with the talented practitioner ####. The second session was booked in for longer than the first, about 5hrs total, and I was advised after my first session that this was "the big one" both in terms of coverage (wow) and pain (more on that later)

After my first session I had a foil shave around day 5, this looked great as obviously by 5 days I had significant growth in my patches. On the day of my second session I had a close shave or razor shave, depending on how you say it, down to the bone essentially.

This also looked fine, but as my SMP was just in "template" stage I suspect this won't be suitable long term and a small (0.4mm) amount of hair will probably be needed. It's too early to tell for sure, as there's still 2 more sessions and a lot of settling in to do. Time will tell for sure.

Those of you following along will recall I found parts of the first session to be unbearable on the pain scale. In preparation for this I visited my local pharmacy, and under the advisement of #### asked for a pain killer which could be built up in my system. I was given a combination of Paracetamol with Codeine & Ibuprofen. 2 tablets of both every 4hrs for ~36 hours before my treatment. 

Ok, so on to the actual treatment. We kicked it off with a review of how the pigments had held from the previous week's session, which is pretty well on the whole, as is evident from my pictures, some of the template pigments in the patches to the right aren't holding as well. The frontal hairline was holding particularly well which was good.

Me & #### decided to review the hairline, and he told me that today would be the day we start to introduce "jagged" elements for the broken look. I also reiterated that I wanted to use a combination of tricks to emulate a natural hairline, as follows:

* Jagged / Sporadic pigments placement (done today)

* Imperfect symmetry (you'll recall from previous pictures that the RHS of my hairline near the temple was higher than my left, although we've brought this down slightly, we've left an imbalance as it looks more natural)

* Gradual colour shift (today the hairline was tweaked with a colour 6 shades or so lighter)

* Slightly imperfect temple wells / receded areas (slightly above temples where people naturally recede, these are actually two slightly different shapes on my treatment, one more curved than the other.)

We decided again to play it cautious with lowering the hairline too much, just to ensure I'm happy. Having never had a hairline before, after my initial session I was scrutinising it, and initially wanted it lower, straighter etc. By day 6 I actually wanted to maintain it's "wonky" imperfections, as i've not seen a single person on TV or on the streets with a perfect hairline.

We also discussed possibly brining a soft peak into the middle to the hairline, but I'm going to try this at home first with pencil before deciding.

After the hairline adjustments were penciled in we got to inking. Focus of the day being hairline refinements (as above and also, closer behind the ears, initial nape pigment placing) and overall density in the bald areas of my head. 

This means (as you'll see in the pictures) things still look a little funky as my "real" hair is untouched, session 3 will be when we blend this into session 2's SMP work for a full head of SMP coverage. Obviously we need to see how session 2 settles first.

I mentioned earlier, and last time, that session 1 was a bitch for me in terms of pain….

Well, let me tell you this, if you feel the pain, and are medically able to take the dosage mentioned above (and of course under professional advisement, I'm not a GP!) I recommend you dose up before hand.

I kid you not (#### will be able to verify!) I actually fell asleep on the chair whilst being inked in the most painful areas of my head and behind my ears. Honestly. Having my system dosed with an opiate based painkiller did wonders! If the pain scale is 1-10 then session 1 was in the range of 6-11. Session 2, after medication was 1-3. All over. I was amazed at how breezy easy the whole thing was.

We had a quick break for lunch half way through, and were finished up just about 5pm. The results (even in their darker, bigger, more red and angry phase) looked amazing. I keep laughing and grinning every time I look in the mirror.

One thing to note, the healing time has been a bit longer this session, which I'm not sure is due to the fact I didn't sleep until 36 hrs later (left Birmingham straight for Portugal) or that there was more ink, but a definite slower heal process.

Overall I'm so so happy with how things are progressing, #### is great and completely "gets" what I'm after, I have 100% confidence in him. And the look is just so great.

Looking forward to 3 & 4 now!

These are the pictures from Session 2, I've put them in a folder so you can see all of them on one page, you can still click through and zoom for close up detail, to zoom click a picture and select the there little dots at the bottom right and pick "view original".

The ones with me in a black hoodie are immediately after treatment in the Birmingham Clinic. The one of me in the red vest are this morning (no shave yet) You can see on the side profiles things are still a bit red even at 48 hrs.

Also on the ones in red you my notice some marking on my forehead, this is from my hat, gotta keep it covered in the heat out here!

Enjoy!

Great write up and the treatment is Progressing. I have noticed another guy with a similar situation to you called Selly Tavalas who has put pictures up on another post. I think he has had the same amount of treatments as you but they seem to have gone into his remaining hair, but they haven't with you. Is there any reason? Is it the same for guys with MPB like me that some will have blending and some won't. It's very interesting the different looks and different ways it is done.

Thanks for posting this diary Craig as it has been fantastic reading and seeing your pictures. I have suffered with Alopecia since the age of 17. Like yourself I have tried different treatments but none have really worked in the long term. I am hoping treatments like yours work out as I really want to get rid of these patches and get rid of my hat.

Hey all, sorry for radio silence, am currently on vacation in Portugal, but it's looking great! Started to settle really nicely.

More scabs this time which is to be expected. I'll post some more pictures when I get back to the uk in a few days time.

:-)