Sign in to follow this  
damien

Important note about Body Dysmorphic Disorder - please read

Hi all,

I'd like to discuss a slightly uncomfortable subject with you all, relating to a recent increase in the number of clients requesting an excessive number of treatment sessions.

Sometimes our clients simply need more than the average number of sessions. There are cases documented on this forum where the client needed 5 or more sessions due to excessive fading, or because their circumstances were non-standard. Although excessive fading (for example) is not something we can entirely control due to the physiological characteristics of the individual involved (some people just dont hold onto the pigments as well as others), I'd like to make it quite clear that the concern I am raising does not involve these clients. If you need more sessions than the average to correct fading for example, we will continue to happily provide these sessions as required.

The reason for this post is because I am aware that for a small number of clients, the advantages of MHT and the relative ease of undergoing the procedure can quickly become addictive. Most certainly we are seeing more clients nowadays who come back for multiple touch-ups and adjustments, often without any cause or need to do so. In some cases, clients are even taking superb examples of MHT treatments and compromising their realism with requests for super dark shades, ultra low hairlines and unrealistic hairline styles. We have clients on our books who have unnecessarily clocked up more than 10 treatment sessions within a very short period of time. The emotional, psychological and financial impact of such a journey quickly takes its toll.

Although I am not implying that all clients who request an excessive number of treatments are affected by this, there is a documented condition called Body Dysmorphic Disorder which causes sufferers to become excessively preoccupied with a certain aspect of their physical appearance. This condition is serious, and has been a contributing factor in many thousands of suicides around the world. One of the characteristics of BDD is that sufferers are far more likely to turn to excessive numbers of cosmetic procedures in order to correct their perceived flaw.

More information about BDD can be found here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_dysmorphic_disorder

This is not an issue that affects a great number of people but the issue definitely exists, and we have seen strong evidence of this in some of our clients. We must therefore reserve the right to refuse such requests, when we truly believe it is in the best interests of the person involved.

Our clients should never forget the primary reason why they come to HIS. In the vast majority of cases, clients undergo MHT in order to leave hair loss behind for good. Once a clients treatment sessions are over, however many that may be, we would like to encourage all our clients to do exactly that - leave hair loss behind and live your life a happier, more confident man. We know better than most that meaning to move on is far easier than actually doing it, but this is the final (and possibly most important) stage of your journey towards achieving a new you.

The purpose of this post is to raise awareness of the issue on this forum, therefore any comments you may have regarding this are very welcome.

Wholeheartedly agree with everything you've said Damien. Its not even a debate it's just true.  There's a girl who's often in the newspapers in the UK called Alicia Duval, who was originally famous I think for selling stories about her affairs with footballers, but nowadays is best known because she's had about 30 boob jobs and her chest (and face) is now basically a grizzled mess. I guess when she looked at her boobs in the mirror they always looked like they could be improved, and because she had the money, and the access to surgery to try and make those chnages, she did but it just ended up an overworked mess, probably costs her hundreds of thousands of pounds, and a lot of years of her life wasted.  Its really the same with MHT, I know from my own experience its so hard NOT to constantly think "ah wouldn't it be great it that was slightly different.." I remember a guy on this forum once joking that he had to fight off the temptation to have his whole head MHT'd solid jet black and his hairline pulled down to under his chin, and the funny thing is most of us probably would if we could!

Ive met a couple of people when ive been in the clinic who are definitely examples of people really struggling with what you're discussing here and I do feel for them.  For me, all I have to do is look at my "before" video on your website and it just shows me how things have improved for me, and to be honest they've improved in ALL aspects of my life as a result, and thats a big thing to say, but its true.  I wonder if there's an element of things not going so well in other aspects of peoples lives that makes them come back 10 times wanting changes and touch ups? I suspect that might be a big factor Damien...

Respect Mate.

Psychiatrists have long identified the top insecurities in men:

1) - Height
2) - Penis size
3) - Baldness
4) - Abdominal and arm muscle size

During puberty and in the years following, any large deviation from the social norm negatively (meaning smaller or less) can induce mild mental reconditioning, which if left unchecked can induce mental unbalance (as in an adjustment of the central loci in frontal lobe neural networks).  The probability for unbalance is heavily phase dependent.  If you begin balding at age 16, it can be extremely difficult versus at age 40.  The best way to treat them is not to simply cut them off, but to make their next not needed appointment conditional based upon a psychological check-up.
     About once a week, some interested client who read my thread will call me or email me.  Since I began my treatment, I have spoken to about 15 men of various ages.  Three (and possibly a fourth) have had the symptoms of BDD.  In speaking to those three, I was reminded of the psychiatrists adage about a bathtub vortex; that which enters is sent spinning endlessly downward.  The best way to interact with such clients (who have likely acquired their disorder from much real world pain and suffering) is with compassion, but also an earnest plea to seek opinion from close friends and family.  If they agree that their family and friends find their new look unnoticeable and realistic, and HIS staff agrees, then further treatment is contingent upon psychological evaluation.

Although, I must say my heart does go out to them, as I myself wore a hat religiously for almost six years to hide what I felt was my biggest flaw.  Funny that my ten pound gut or my not super manly biceps did not induce this weakness, but balding did. In reality as perceived relational weights in the frontal lobes shift gain due to physical changes (like balding), executive neural networks attractors shift as well, with possible phase spaces of unstable attraction, resulting in mental disorder. It is part of the reason this problem is one that needs attention directed on it sooner rather than later.  Severe side effects can be the result if left untreated (as in the case of Michael Jackson's sugeries).

HH, I know what you mean. I've been so frustrated over my penis size for years! It's too damn big! LOL (joking)

Seriously, not remembering what my actual hair line really looked like when I had one, I can imagine some people being obsessed with touch-ups to find the perfect look. I'm not saying I'm any better than you guys, but I really hope I would be able to just settle for something natural, taking into account that people wouldn't notice any change anyway, or especially not defects. Although I'm bald, I can't say I have really ever suffered emotionally from it, but that's me.

You guys look just great! I'm still thinking about it. Next week, I'll shave my head completely just to get an idea of how it might look on me, and if MHT is really for me.

Cheers!

Quite right that HIS staff refuse further treatments where it isn't due to lack of fading/definition but symptoms relating to BDD.

That way the reputation and quality of HIS isn't compromised and they're not fuelling the disorder the client is suffering. 

Quite right that HIS staff refuse further treatments where it isn't due to lack of fading/definition but symptoms relating to BDD.

That way the reputation and quality of HIS isn't compromised and they're not fuelling the disorder the client is suffering. 

It's a really difficult balance. We are not here to dictate what a client should and shouldn't be happy with, and if extra sessions are needed to meet the clients expectations then of course we do our best to oblige. At the same time however, we still have a duty of care and we are best placed to see when a client is trying to take it too far. It's a judgment call, and a tough one at that.

Well, this post bothers me a little so I really hope I'm guilty of over analyzing it.  I'm driving 6 hours to Chicago for my 4th session and I certainly don't want to be turned away based on someone's else's interpretation of my self perception. I was quoted 2 sessions with a possible 3rd.  I've paid for all 3 sessions and my treatment still isn't finished.  I don't expect perfection, but I expect to be satisfied like any paying customer should.  And I certainly don't want to be turned away b/c an employee knows he can avoid the hassle of work by saying "I think you've had enough."  

The truth of the matter is that the first two sessions are done so close together (within 7 days) that you really don't know how much more is needed by the third.  I believe my practitioner gave it a solid effort during the third session to get it finished, but now a month later, it still needs more density and blending.  And even the treated areas could use some peppering.  Trust me, I don't want to make the 6 hour drive. I'm doing it b/c I want the treatment I thought I was buying.

I'm not upset. Just concerned.  Having said that, 7-10 sessions does seem a bit ridiculous so if that's you and you're reading this thread, please look into what Damien is saying.  You can't expect this treatment to cure those underlying issues. 

If you need work doing mate you need work doing, if its visually there then it needs doing, they aren't going to claim your mentally ill to avoid doing work I doubt they'd employ anyone of that nature, hell no company would. No need to worry about it, its not uncommon to need more than 1 over your quote, some people need several, its just how the process is.

Well, this post bothers me a little so I really hope I'm guilty of over analyzing it.  I'm driving 6 hours to Chicago for my 4th session and I certainly don't want to be turned away based on someone's else's interpretation of my self perception. I was quoted 2 sessions with a possible 3rd.  I've paid for all 3 sessions and my treatment still isn't finished.  I don't expect perfection, but I expect to be satisfied like any paying customer should.  And I certainly don't want to be turned away b/c an employee knows he can avoid the hassle of work by saying "I think you've had enough."  

The truth of the matter is that the first two sessions are done so close together (within 7 days) that you really don't know how much more is needed by the third.  I believe my practitioner gave it a solid effort during the third session to get it finished, but now a month later, it still needs more density and blending.  And even the treated areas could use some peppering.  Trust me, I don't want to make the 6 hour drive. I'm doing it b/c I want the treatment I thought I was buying.

I'm not upset. Just concerned.  Having said that, 7-10 sessions does seem a bit ridiculous so if that's you and you're reading this thread, please look into what Damien is saying.  You can't expect this treatment to cure those underlying issues. 

It doesn't sound like this applies to you at all Craig. Some people need 4-5 sessions, that's just how it is. The issue is when people have multiple additional sessions against the advice of their practitioner. After 4 sessions, you're nowhere near this.

The number of sessions a client has had is not really an indicator of BDD in its own right. It's more about the number of sessions they have had over and above what their practitioner believes they need. 1-2 sessions against the advice of their practitioner is not a huge issue, but by the time a client has had 3-4 sessions over and above what their practitioner has recommended, it's something we have to consider a possibility.

Damien,

I had 3 regular sessions and 3 touch-ups = 6 treatments within 8 months (from the consultation with Ian: I was an ordinary NW7 without evidence for problems)

How I fixed the touch-up appointments:

-Emailed pictures to HIS 

-HIS told me the touch-up would take 2 hours

-Fixed the appointment.

"Positive" aspect: At the HIS clinic there was no need to explain what was wrong with my SMP, the practitioners saw it at first glance.

4 weeks after the 6th treatment it looks like I need a further treatment, which means the seventh one.

Besides the fact that all this is

extremely depressing for me (I'm not in the mood to list all my negative feelings),

time consuming (days off from work),

expensive (I have to fly to London),

profoundly unsettling (what shall I do if it can't be fixed up within the warranty period)

I really don't need the additional problem of being scared to be treated like a person who's afflicted with BDD (I know very well how destroying this disorder can be - for the afflicted one but also for the social circle).

Can you please confirm HIS will base themselves on evidences and facts? And that HIS will go on to do their utmost to achieve also for my SMP the high standard they proclaim without demanding from me to prove I'm not afflicted with BBD? 

Thank you.

Damien,

I had 3 regular sessions and 3 touch-ups = 6 treatments within 8 months (from the consultation with Ian: I was an ordinary NW7 without evidence for problems)

-Emailed pictures to HIS 

-Fixed the appointment.

"Positive" aspect: At the HIS clinic there was no need to explain what was wrong with my SMP, the practitioners saw it at first glance.

4 weeks after the 6th treatment it looks like I need a further treatment, which means the seventh one.

extremely depressing for me (I'm not in the mood to list all my negative feelings),

profoundly unsettling (what shall I do if it can't be fixed up within the warranty period)

I really don't need the additional problem of being scared to be treated like a person who's afflicted with BDD (I know very well how destroying this disorder can be - for the afflicted one but also for the social circle).

Can you please confirm HIS will base themselves on evidences and facts? And that HIS will go on to do their utmost to achieve also for my SMP the high standard they proclaim without demanding from me to prove I'm not afflicted with BBD? 

Thank you.

Read my above post mate, same applies to you, I needed to go for 7 treatments, never got someone claiming I had this disorder or questioning if they should give me another session, in-fact I would have needed more if I decided to go on and fix everything. Just how it is, some people need more because problems arise, either with fading or man made faults.

Damien,

-Emailed pictures to HIS 

-Fixed the appointment.

Thank you.

We do not assume that a client suffers with BDD just because they need a lot of sessions. There is one client I can think of who needed nine sessions, and we never thought for a moment that there were any psychological issues going on.

You've answered your own question, in that our staff immediately recognised your need for another session. If you read my comments above, you will note that I refer to those clients who have 2-3 sessions or more that are against the recommendations of the practitioner. Even then it doesn't necessarily mean the client is suffering with BDD, but as a responsible, ethical business we have to have some safeguards in place. In our case this safeguard simply means having an awareness that some people may become addicted to this kind of cosmetic treatment, however the proportions are very small.

It is assumed that each client is sound of mind unless we have reason to believe otherwise, not the other way around. Our clients are treated with the respect they deserve, not like they're victims of some psychological affliction.

For the average client, yourself included Shai, you can forget about this thread as it does not apply.