Sign in to follow this  
DHTassassin

So I purchased the Remington R91 and....

Other guys (like HatDude) look as if they were buzzed with the Remington shaver before the procedure, but afterwards have instead used a wahl clipper to adapt to the new look.

I actually still use the remington R91 and I have a panasonic lamdash ES-LA93-k. I usually cut my hair the evening before so the next day I have the sand paper feel with the panasonic. The reason I use the panasonic is because it has better coverage and I can get it done faster. I normally cut my hair every other day, but when I skip I have to use the remington because once it gets a bit longer the panasonic doesnt do as well being that its a foil shaver. As far as pricing the remington is cheaper and the panasonic expensive but they are both effective.

I agree with Magic where he says the closer you have the better. Its less detectable because you are not always going to be in low lighting. If you have brought your hairline forward you are going to be able to notice where hair is growing and where its not growing.

I also agree with Damien. I think you have to play with the lengths depending on your needs.

Most people go through their own learning process following treatment, by trying different options, times of day to shave their heads, lotions, sunscreens etc. We cannot provide exact recommendations as there are too many variables, not least the lifestyle and tolerances of the individual concerned. Its just one that must be learnt along the way I think.

Hatdude,

I can understand that if you lower your hairline, it would probably be wise to keep it very short up top as to not have your old hairline stand out like a sort of hair ridge that either makes others assume that you did a bad buzzing job or whether something else is going on under the hood.

My question is that since the Remington essentially shaves you down to the skin (with no discernible follicles left) wouldn't it hinder the effects of your new MHT, since it will take away the supporting native hair follicles that further add to your new & existing density?

To give you even a clearer sense of what I am saying, imagine a guy that only has 1,000 hair follicles left on top of his head at or around his hairline, he gets the MHT procedure done and they obviously tattoo around (but not on top) those hair follicles.  He then leaves the clinic and has a new hairline and an increased density (by adding both the new pigmented dots & his old native hair follicle dots), he then shaves down with the Remington R91 and has his hair follicles completely erased (even if for a day or so) leaving only the MHT follicles visible, wouldn't this present a problem?

If any of you can follow me on this hypothetical (or even real scenario), let me know your opinions,

DHT

I can totally understand what you are saying DHT and would like to know the answer to this too.

I'll be having my hairline lowered about an inch and due to having naturally very thin hair, I have a feeling that when shaved down with the R91, it is going to leave the areas I have hair looking completely bald for atleast half a day or so.

Scott123 states, "I have a feeling that when shaved down with the R91, it is going to leave the areas I have hair looking completely bald for atleast half a day or so."

You understand exactly what I am trying to say.  I'd like to know what Damien could find out about this particular issue and/or if some technicians or even Ian himself can give us some feedback about this.

This is an important issue, because day-to-day management and upkeep is important as far as the overall benefit of having this done.

All opinions are appreciated,
DHT

The remington doesnt really cut as close as you think. I have instant sand paper feel on my head after using it. The foil shaver I have shaves closer but neither of these are as close as a wet shave.

From my experience with the different shavers I've used:
Stubble(Rough) to Wet shave(Smooth):

1-Wahl "Peanut trimmer". This leaves the hair a bit long for MHT and it could be noticeable if you dont have enough coverage of your own hair.

2-Remington R91(Preffered)

3-Panasonic Foil Shaver(Preffered)

4-Razor

Does the R91 "pinch" the nape of the neck?

That's my biggest concern. Electric Razors/Shavers leave the nape/back of my neck red and irritated looking... to the point that if I splash rubbing alcohol on it, it burns really bad.

HiTop,

I've found that the Remington does pinch the neck/nape hairs.

I've used it now for well over a week and I find constant cuts and red spots over my neck and under my chin.

It does do a fine job up top and also on my facial beard area (I'd say just as good as a razor to be honest, but obviously not as smooth, but good enough that you can't see hair follicles), but it does cause a little redness and also pulls at your neck/nape hairs at certain angles.

DHT

DHT,

Thanks for the reply.

This really sucks. The irritation caused by the electric razors is pretty bad... My head feels rubbed raw all day unless I massage some lotion on my head. So I use it to trim the hair before a wet shave if I've let my hair grow a little too long (it's really uncomfortable wet shaving your head if the hair is a little too long).

HiTop,

I could also be an individual thing.

I would recommend purchasing it (only $20 in the states) and trying it out.  I do use it now to shave down my head every couple of days and it works great.  While it does cause minor irritation at the neck or below the chin, it's not definite and can be remedied with a little moisturizer.

DHT 

Ok I just had my first shave with this Remington shaver. I honestly think that the closeness of the shave, for myself, feels a little better than a "with the grain" wet shave. The sides and top feel absolutely great, but the nape of my neck is somewhat red and irritated. Which is weird because I never get any irritation there with a razor. It actually did a good job getting the area right above my ears which surprised me.

Does anyone have suggestions for doing the nape of the neck area? Maybe I was pushing too hard or not hard enough. If the redness doesn't last long then I will be completely sold on this thing!

I did try it out on my face and was instantly not impressed. So I won't be using it for face shaving. My beard hair is pretty thick and It felt more like it was pulling out the whiskers rather than cutting them.

i had the same problem with the nape of the neck months ago.but i dont now.nape neck soreness lasted 2 or 3 shaves and then dissapeared.i guess the nape get used to it.keep shaving with it and see if the problem persists which i doupt.why this happens i dont know 

Hey guys, 

When you shave with this particular razor do you put any pre-treatment oil on your head? Is your head totally dry when you shave or is it okay if it's patted dry out of the shower? Do you moisturize right after?

Thanks in advance for any responses. 

I am also interested in further comments to this post. As is the case with Scott and DHT, I also have concerns about the Remington and the length it may leave on the scalp. Is it better to shave with the R91 in the morning, or the night before, before going to bed - in order to optimise the appearance of the MHT and natural follicles? As I have an HT scar (2.5 inches) to be concerned about, I am unsure as to what would be a) the best shaver B) best time of day to carry out the shave. Any comments would be welcomed.

I did my first shave with it yesterday. It gets very very close and works perfect at blending your real hair w/MHT hair follicles. It's also simple to use. I think it took all of 2 minutes to shave my head. It really suits the look if you need to keep your hair short to match w/MHT. 

Iam using a Braun Series-1 190 foil cut shaver that shaves my hair to the bones. Foil shavers cut even closer than rotary shavers. When I have the money I will ask for a full head tattoo (iam at most an nw3) because I want to shave my head like I do it now, but want the tatto to have a much stronger look than a wet shave I sport. This way I hope my head will have the same look everywhere even in strong light, and I want it to resist 2 days of growth without shaving.

Hey Guys...

It's been a while since I got joined the forums again. Just been so busy living life after my MHT treatment in Hong Kong (thanks again Jonathan :D)

I just skimmed over this thread lightly. All I want to say is that I had my hairline lowered by an inch and I can easily get away with a wahl trimmer on zero. In fact I only need to cut it every second day, but prefer to do it everyday as it gives me something to do in the morning lol.

In the end you need to experiment what length of hair looks best for you MHT. But in my opinion a zero with a wahl trimmer looks best. Anything shorter wouldn't look great on me.

Thats just my 2 cents.

Billy

OK I need tips or technical info on this R-91.. It burns the sh*t out of my neck every time I use it. Sides and top no problem at all. I may go back to the razor.. Do you guys have that problem, reddish rash type of thing?