Sign in to follow this  
Semel

Retinoids can't be used if you get SMP?

I was prescribed topical retinoids ( tretinoin or  isotretinoin) for my skin issues by a dermatologist and I'll have to use them consistently for a long time coz my condition is chronic and it looks like retinoids are the only thing that helps.

Will they hurt SMP?

I've read about tretinoin and retinoids i general and it looks like they will cause the cells of the skin to grow (divide) and die more rapidly, increasing the turnover of cells. So am I right to assume it will fade away SMP pigment and pretty fast at that?

Thank you.

Hi Semel. Thanks for posting the question... and sorry to read about your skin issues.

I do not think you will have an issue with the active ingredients. They are acting on the surface and the SMP pigment is inserted beneath and out of harms way.

I will put your question to the HQ team and if anything different or additional comes back will post the update here.

22 hours ago, Vinc2097 said:

I was diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis+ excessive sebum production. I tried different antifungals but to no avail. At my last appointment, my doctor suggested that I should try retinoids, so this is what I'm doing now. So far it seems to have reduced redness a bit, but I was told retinoids really start working after several weeks of continuous use.

Unfortuantly I dont have an answer for that but im sure your dermatologist would look into it for you .

Ive had extreamly dry skin/exma since birth and since I went bald at 19 ive now got very bad skin damage to my scalp , ive also since SMP had skin cancer on my head just below the hairline .

When I was being dealt with for the skin cancer I told the dermatologist about my SMP which they loved and even took a HIS card off me and said they had other patients who this would be ideal for !!

In your position I would definatly ask the question you have nothing to lose and by asking you may also help others with the same problem

Good luck and when you get an answer post it on here to do your bit for others .