Sign in to follow this  
lskdj

How close down do you have to shave?

Hey guys, I'm scheduled to get SMP in October and was wondering how close down do you have to shave your head. I currently just use a pair of clippers with no guard and it leaves a little growth/stubble. I do this once every 2 days. I really prefer it that way to just straight razor, which is too short my liking. Once I get SMP do I have to use a straight razor or can I leave just a little stubble/growth?

No doubt everyone is different bud I have very light coloured hair so I shave right down to the bone and that does me for 3 days. 

Would imagine someone with darker hair would want to leave a bit of stubble though,  I've heard the Phillips one blade is good for this. 

5 hours ago, Johnm said:

No doubt everyone is different bud I have very light coloured hair so I shave right down to the bone and that does me for 3 days. 

Would imagine someone with darker hair would want to leave a bit of stubble though,  I've heard the Phillips one blade is good for this. 

I have had my procedure for a little over a month. I am a black guy and yes it appears that having some stubble is best. However, I am thinking about shaving it with a razor over a long weekend and see the results. Trimmers get close enough and I personally find them cumbersome when cutting my own head. I will look into that Phillips One Blade. 

If you have diffuse thinning hair all over your head, you can always leave a bit of stubble. The formula is: The more hair you have left, the longer you can wear it with SMP. If you have the usual male hairloss pattern, very sparse or bald on the top and a horseshoe, it is always best to shave as close as possible to make the SMP undetectable.

there's no rule here....the one thing anybody who has smp will tell u, is the concept of 3D (real hair) vs 2D (SMP).  For example, I'm like a norwood 5 i think, so i do have some stubbles up top but not much.  When I let my hair grow for 2-3 days u can see a clear difference as far as hair sticking out on the sides vs next to nothing on top and around the crown.  Now, does it bug me? Not really, especially when I'm just going to the gym or groceries.  My advice is just to experiment with it and go with what you're comfortable.  I've established a routine of shaving to the bone with a razor in the shower every two days, but I have a buddy who does it religiously daily..  The choice, my friend, is yours.