Sign in to follow this  
Ball Ding

SMP, FUE or nothing?!

Hi all,

I am now in my mid thirties. Have been losing hair since I was 16. Now I have a bit a cash and technology has moved on, I am considering my options:

1) Transplant. I’ve had a consultation and have been told I have enough donor hair to go for it. The procedure is not cheap at around £5,000. They also recommend taking Proprecia and I really don’t like the idea of messing with testosterone for a long time.

2) SMP. I’ve had a consultation with HIS. The consultant seemed competent and some of the online results look really promising. It’s about half the price of FUE. Downside is that is fake and I would be stuck with a shaved head forever. I do like lifting weights however and wouldn’t mind the idea of a hard arse look.

3) Do nothing, accept the baldness and try to pull off the bald look.

Do you have any suggestions/advice?

Your headshape and existing hair seems like it would be great for SMP. Go down to a no-guard buzz and see if you like it. It won't look that much shorter than what you currently have.

IMO the white lines are perhaps a bit aggressive/young for mid-30s. You could fill in below your existing hairline with SMP, only the thinning spots, and no one would be able to tell it was fake at all.

£5k seems pretty cheap for a full FUE. You certainly wouldn't get the coverage drawn on here, at a 1000 or so grafts your getting either a thin coverage, requiring fibers etc to fill out, or an island hairline with the rest disappearing. That's if the grafts take at all. However if you have been promised a good result I'd take the FUE.

I was quoted around 2500 grafts. What puts me off the transplant is not so much the transplant itself but rather a potential life long commitment to Finasteride...the transplant company recommends being on it...

I wish I did nothing when I was younger.  I had gotten hair transplants at 20 and I am now 49.  I have very few options now because of my mistakes.  I am still considering smp only to hide bad hair transplants, but I am still not convinced tattooing wouldn't just draw more attention.

My advice:  Shave your head, do nothing else, and be thankful you haven't botched your scalp...Best of luck