BaldingBen

Exactly how does SMP fade? (Not, "Does SMP fade")

Hello, I have a norwood 3 hairline and I would like to get SMP done to go back to norwood 1. I am 21 years old with a small face so I feel that a norwood 1 would be suitable for me. Something that I'm worrying about is getting the "solid ink" look in the future. I've been seeing a lot of pictures of people who had had the treatment (over long period of time with few density touch-ups) and I've noticed that after a while the individual pigments start to kind of fade together into what looks like a solid slab of ink. I'm worried that down the road I'm going to have what looks like a slab of ink in the front of my head (where I'm getting the treatment) while the sides and the back continue to look natural... I wanted to hear what you guys think about that? Does each pigment kind of fade on its own or does it all blend together?  Is the "slab of ink" look inevitable for everyone that gets SMP? If you can post pics of your treatment like a month afterwards vs a year afterwards I would greatly appreciate it.

There is only one pigment. HIS pigments, in all their shades, are the same. Monomeric with no metallic oxides. The "solid ink" result you are describing happens when larger molecules are used... they will be broken down by the immune system over time, or at least the smaller parts will, leaving behind the heavier molecule which because it is a different shape and smaller can move from it's original position. This is what creates the blurring over time on traditional tattoos. The same process will also see the new molecule produce a different colour (usually blue, sometimes green).

The monomeric pigments HIS use are tiny, they are taken away whole by the immune system leaving nothing behind. So this can lead to fading, but not the sort of aesthetic disasters you are describing - they are only an issue because some of the copycat providers use the wrong type of pigments for the work which has led to horror stories.

Ed-Does the pigment fade in a manner that would mimic typical male pattern baldness?  I'm interested in finding a way out of the concealer/smp game eventually.  Not sure I want the shaved look in my 60s or 70s. 

I'm not sure I completely understand the question noircat but will answer the one I think youre asking.  It fades according to a mix of your genetics, immune system and lifestyle. After years of watching many clients on here, including some very recent posts, there are examples of people for whom fading happens relatively quickly, then others who have not had a touch up for years - and it is impossible to predict, seemingly fit and healthy, active young men will see little or no fading. While an apparently sleep-deprived, pre-diabetic, beer drinking, cigarette smoking chaps might fade fast and need a significant touch up session inside the first year.

It's why the guarantee is in there, for peace of mind on the short term fading. For long term lack of fading... I can tell you that my last session was maybe 8 years ago now. As a 55 year old I am happy to let nature take it's course but have faded very very slowly, not in a way that would mimic male pattern baldness, just faded slowly. Nobody has ever questioned it and I have never felt any need to address my appearance during this extended phase - it has always looked great. Friends who know about it say it looks better now (maybe they all got sick of me being the only one left with a hairline... how times have changed).

Ed-Thanks for you response.  That's helpful as far as long term fading is concerned.  I feel the best way for me to transition from using concealers is to get SMP.  My plan after that would be to let it fade over time so people just think I went bald.  I think it would be preferable compared to going from my current state (hair full of concealers) to bald right away.

It's a well worn path... from concealers to SMP. Same goes for men who wear hair systems and are desperate to stop. SMP gives them a story that makes sense of the previous full head of hair and replaces it with another one.

Concealers and hair systems both come with a large slice of daily stress (for most). SMP is, for these people, a truly liberating experience.

Mine has faded in the manner of the 1st treatment lighter dots disappearing leaving only later treatment dots, and some small patches of increased fading but so far it still looks realistic. Ultimately there's nothing less realistic than a full head of perfectly uniform dots so a little fading can look good. I know it won't last forever and I'm on the fence about touch ups because I know the guys who originally did my treatment have long left HIS. 

I find that the layering of different pigment shades with multiple sessions is what gives the smp more realism and gives it a much more natural look.

It took me multiple sessions to finally get the grey shade look which is what your real hair looks like when it is shaved to the skin.

I am one session away from having a finished procedure that looks very natural in my opinion.