Sign in to follow this  
JohnathonNY

SMP to Accommodate for Future Hairloss

Hello, I am an individual who is suffering from diffuse pattern hair-loss. Oddly, I still have my mature hair-line, but the entire vertex and crown is thinning and quite harshly (with a glowing bald spot in the back). I was thinking of undergoing SMP next year once I have lost even more hair (and will continue to do so at this rate). One thing that I want to know is, can I get the entire crown and vertex area SMP'd  (covering up to Norwood 6-7) so that when future hairs fall out, I will not have to get those areas filled in again or touched up? Can SMP's be done in a way that accommodates future hair-loss and offer complete coverage since I will continue to keep losing hair from here? Also, how much will it cost (considering I am going for a mature hair-line that is broken and feather textured (essentially the most natural SMP you can get)? Here is a blurry image of my current hair-loss.

image.thumb.png.bd5518c468efc4c0181c3ff961e9c521.png

A standard three session treatment of the first two a week apart with a third following on around twelve weeks later will cost about two and a half grand (£) and for you if you follow your existing hairline I am certain you will gain an excellent result. I can imagine that with the amount of hair you have now reinforced with smp underneath you could extend the length of time of not shaving down to the bone, sure it will be shorter than it is in this picture but you will be surprised by how much density it will offer. Go for it, you know you will want to when you lose more, by doing it now the transition to shorter and shorter hair will be less dramatic.

On 5/16/2018 at 6:08 PM, SHVD said:

A standard three session treatment of the first two a week apart with a third following on around twelve weeks later will cost about two and a half grand (£) and for you if you follow your existing hairline I am certain you will gain an excellent result. I can imagine that with the amount of hair you have now reinforced with smp underneath you could extend the length of time of not shaving down to the bone, sure it will be shorter than it is in this picture but you will be surprised by how much density it will offer. Go for it, you know you will want to when you lose more, by doing it now the transition to shorter and shorter hair will be less dramatic.

I actually do not want to reinforce or add density to anything, I want to go straight to the shaved look (considering all men with alopecia will shave eventually). I basically plan on shaving my head down to the bone and having the same result as "Arin" who is featured on the His Hair forum. I actually took this picture last year so, I should have lost more density by now. I also plan on having a mature hairline with slight recession to show maximum naturalness.

You haven't answered my question though? Can Dots be placed in areas so that I can anticipate future hair-loss? I do not want to keep going back for touch ups every year if  the only places practitioners add density is where there is no hair. I am not sure if I worded this properly, but if you can answer please do.

It would be interesting to see a current picture for comparison and to get an idea of how stable, or progressive, your hair loss is. But what you are describing, in terms of treatment, would require blending below the hairline. That could be done but until you actually start to lose the hair in that region it would appear denser than everything around it, and look like a dark stripe if you shaved your hair down... which you would if you had SMP.

3 hours ago, checkingthisout said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. I think you want your hairline to remain forever where it is right now. Then you want to cover your whole head so that when future follicles fall out, there will already be dots there so you won't notice.

Thats what the guy meant by density. Less and less visible skin, though not to the point of a painted on scalp. The best look for natural in my opinion is to do what I did. My hairline was pretty much where it always was. So I told them, no dots in front of the hairline, just right up to it.

Yes! The first paragraph is exactly what I meant. Yes I want to keep my current mature (slightly recessed) hairline. Yup I no dots in front of this hairline.

So it is possible to cover your whole head so that when future follicles fall out, there will already be dots there so I won't notice?

On 5/19/2018 at 3:16 PM, checkingthisout said:

Yes, the thining you describe already means you have space for dots. When new folicals fall out, there will already be dots there. 3 years later you might need a touch up anyway though. It depends on your body and how it reacts. 

I see, how much are touch-ups generally cost wise? I am young, so I am going to assume that my fading will be sort of quick due to my immune system (23 by the time I get it).

Touch up costs will depend on how much work is being done. It is a mistake to mix being young with having an efficient immune system, that is a blend of genetics, your environment, lifestyle, diet and goodness knows what else - It is still being worked out. I've been reading again this week that kids who grow up in homes that are too clean have significantly underdeveloped immune systems. Fading is impossible to predict on the basis of age.

On 5/27/2018 at 8:56 AM, ed@hishairclinic.com said:

Touch up costs will depend on how much work is being done. It is a mistake to mix being young with having an efficient immune system, that is a blend of genetics, your environment, lifestyle, diet and goodness knows what else - It is still being worked out. I've been reading again this week that kids who grow up in homes that are too clean have significantly underdeveloped immune systems. Fading is impossible to predict on the basis of age.

Ah thanks for that. This is good news.