Sign in to follow this  
giraffe

Tanning....getting it right....

Right - it's almost Summer again....

Need to get this tanning thing right....

How do you guys get an even tan without burning your head. I either end up burning my scalp or last year I put sun lotion on my scalp only and had a tanned face but my scalp wasn't tanned it stood out like a sore thumb, my scalp looked white and my face was brown.

How do you go about avoiding these balls ups?

Should I just wear no suncream for 20mins a day whilst in the sun and build it up gradually. I find it takes 20+ minutes before your scalp ends up getting burnt, maybe longer. Or maybe just use a factor 5 all over?

Personally I put a slightly higher factor on my scalp than on my face... the skin of your face is exposed all year round and is thicker than the scalp. Once your melanin starts working the tan will quickly appear even. I would definitely avoid not wearing any protection at all though. Lots of damage gets done by the time your skin actually starts to burn. So I will use #8 on my face and #12-15 on my scalp for example. According to your skin type and latitude you will want to play with those numbers to find what is right for you.