TOBaldy

Hair Piece to SMP

Hi guys

My story..

I have been researching SMP for quite some time now.  Currently I wear a hairpiece and have been since 1996. while it looks completely natural (90%) of the time BUT I have had enough of the wigs/tapes/glue and always worrying that someone will notice.  I certainly do notice and have been called out once or twice over the last 20 years.  So now I really do want to get rid of it now and have wanted to over the last few years.  So much so that I have told all my close friends about my hair. I was toying with the idea of just shaving it but I think a hair line always frames the face better..So I have been looking at SMP.  What I am seeing is alot of good results and some painfully bad ones as well,  

My other concern is that I am in professional role at work with a number of staff.  The last thing I want is to do is, have it look unnatural and have my team lose respect for me.  My plan is to shave my head (whatever is left) have two sessions and then return to work.  This way it looks like I have just shaved my head..

I am interested to hear from other folks who have made this transition.  I did post in the Toronto meet up thread as well..would be awesome if I could meet someone who has had this done..

TOBlady!

I have had 3 sessions done at His Hair Toronto and I am in need of 1 or 2 more sessions to look well enough to not wear a hat.

I would not expect a perfect look after 2 sessions

My results are not bad but my practitioner definitely needs to go darker to get a proper blend and to get rid of the patchiness due to fading which happens after every session. 

This is a lengthy process and takes many hours in a chair to achieve the look of simulated hair which looks like a 5 o clock shadow on your head.

I am about 9 hours in so far and absolutely in need another session.Sessions are usually 3 hours depending on your severity of hair loss.

I have no problem giving someone the heads up on what this procedure entails and what my personal experience has been with no sugarcoating.

If you are a Norwood 6 or 7 it is quite an extensive procedure and very time consuming to get the results that you desire.

It is no cake walk from what my experience has been.

I did "hair system" to SMP and I must admit the SMP is more realistic, and I am a norwood 7.5 if such a thing exists. My SMP required 3 treatments (and 1 touch up) in order to cover a very large area and create a tapered look down to my ears and neck. I used to buy custom systems from america and spend hours trying different tapes and glues to get a realistic hairline. Until it got wet or after a few months the colour would change slightly and no longer match my existing hair. 

Just shaving my head was an enormous weight lifted off my shoulders. People who never used those hair systems have no idea how much stress and anxiety they induce. I had hair systems for about 10 years, much of that time was miserable. Even if you never go through with SMP I highly recommend just shaving the dome, go on holiday somewhere hot, get a tan, and you will look and feel 10 times better. 

I used to post on the hairlosshelp forum, not sure if it's still around. But it was a really depressing place with loads of guys trapped in the hair system lifestyle looking for a way out, that was before HIS existed though. 

On 2/13/2018 at 10:07 AM, Lt.Col Kojak Slaphead III said:

I did "hair system" to SMP and I must admit the SMP is more realistic, and I am a norwood 7.5 if such a thing exists. My SMP required 3 treatments (and 1 touch up) in order to cover a very large area and create a tapered look down to my ears and neck. I used to buy custom systems from america and spend hours trying different tapes and glues to get a realistic hairline. Until it got wet or after a few months the colour would change slightly and no longer match my existing hair. 

Just shaving my head was an enormous weight lifted off my shoulders. People who never used those hair systems have no idea how much stress and anxiety they induce. I had hair systems for about 10 years, much of that time was miserable. Even if you never go through with SMP I highly recommend just shaving the dome, go on holiday somewhere hot, get a tan, and you will look and feel 10 times better. 

I used to post on the hairlosshelp forum, not sure if it's still around. But it was a really depressing place with loads of guys trapped in the hair system lifestyle looking for a way out, that was before HIS existed though. 

Yep, this is EXACTLY how I feel..they never tell you the pain that this is and sometimes it looks fake, only looks good when it's new..Like you said, even if I dont this..I am on the verge of shaving my head..the only thing stopping me is my work..

On 2/13/2018 at 4:11 PM, rich007 said:

A completely natural looking hairpiece...? is there such a thing ? pretty sure I've never been fooled by one yet!

I dont know about that..mine looks pretty good most times, but then I obsess over it but there are sometimes it looks fake..

Even if we never wore a hair system I think most can empathize with your situation. Of all the transformations possible; bald to transplant; bald to hair system; hair system to bald; hair system to transplant... etc. Moving from a hair system to SMP is the one that comes with it's own built in story. "I cut my hair". People will be a little shocked, especially men losing their hair who, if they were not aware yours was a system, will have been envious and now mystified. But not suspicious. Hair systems can be amazing but they definitely have a shelf life beyond which the wearer becomes a hater of the restrictions. If you are ready to move on from the system then do it, whether you go for SMP or not. After the initial shock it will be a liberating experience.

@ed@hishairclinic.com thanks!  Just thinking about revealing my naked head to the world makes me cringe :mellow: My uncle just shaved his head (no SMP) a while back..Initially, I thought he was nuts and he looked really bad but now I'm used to it I think he looks much better.  When I see old pics of him with a "system" I think it looks sooooo obvious :o he is MUCH happier and keeps telling me to do it BC it was the best thing he did...I can't wear this thing forever.  I am however worried about the natural look of SMP...This is why I need to meet up with someone here in TO..

Going reach out to a few people here in Toronto soon..

thank you!

My personal brush with systems was some years back, a girlfriends airline executive father wore one. I never knew. Nor did his family. The story broke when my girlfriends 20 year old brother walked into his parents bedroom to see his dad sitting on the edge of the bed with his hair in his hands. Shocking and embarrassing for all concerned, and for the brother the first hint that his own hair might be at risk. Because of work her dad still wears that ever more ridiculous and age in appropriate accessory.

I personally would never wear a hair system or toupee no matter how good it looked. To always be worried about it coming off or not looking right would drive somebody nuts and most of the time they can be spotted by women.

I think that smp when done properly with a good practitioner is the best alternative and it looks very natural easily taking 10 years off your age.

I will be stoked when my SMP is finally completed but it has been a stressful journey so far..

System to SMP seems to be on of the easiest to explain as  most people won't be wondering why you have follicles that weren't there previously, although there may be questions of why somebody with a full head of hair shaves it ? Pity there isn't a transition hairpiece, a  bit thinning and receding, then you get SMP and can say you were starting to lose it so shaved !

13 hours ago, JCVD said:

I personally would never wear a hair system or toupee no matter how good it looked. To always be worried about it coming off or not looking right would drive somebody nuts and most of the time they can be spotted by women.

I think that smp when done properly with a good practitioner is the best alternative and it looks very natural easily taking 10 years off your age.

I will be stoked when my SMP is finally completed but it has been a stressful journey so far..

pls post pics of the results!! any chance you would want to meet?

On 2/17/2018 at 2:14 PM, TOBaldy said:

pls post pics of the results!! any chance you would want to meet?

I will post pictures after my 4th session heals. 

I am not a resident of the Toronto area and traveled to His for my appointments..

On 13/02/2018 at 9:11 PM, rich007 said:

A completely natural looking hairpiece...? is there such a thing ? pretty sure I've never been fooled by one yet!

You probably see good hair pieces all the time but pay no attention to them. If attention is paid to matching hair colour, lace colour and if the roots are bleached well then its more or less undetectable even if a woman is rubbing your hair or looking at your hairline up close. In that sense a hair piece can be more realistic than SMP up close, the downside is that it takes a ridiculous amount of maintenance and stress to achieve that, and it's easy to be caught out if maintenance isn't perfect. Pointless unless you're a rich celebrity like Ben Affleck.

Usually the dead giveaway on a toupee or hair system is when the temple area has receded considerably and the top looks way too perfect.

Even John Travolta gets spotted with lace systems at the frontal hairline so unless you want a Beatles bowl cut it is noticeable from up close.

In my honest opinion a toupee is basically a hair hat that is very high maintenance.

8 hours ago, Lt.Col Kojak Slaphead III said:

You probably see good hair pieces all the time but pay no attention to them. If attention is paid to matching hair colour, lace colour and if the roots are bleached well then its more or less undetectable even if a woman is rubbing your hair or looking at your hairline up close. In that sense a hair piece can be more realistic than SMP up close, the downside is that it takes a ridiculous amount of maintenance and stress to achieve that, and it's easy to be caught out if maintenance isn't perfect. Pointless unless you're a rich celebrity like Ben Affleck.

I usually am pretty good at catching these things.  No matter how good the peice is, it can be caught like JT.  Personally, I don't think BatFleck wears a piece..

High maintenance??? You have no idea...

Affleck wears a wig, hardly a secret. It's just a good one and an example of it being done right. He's also lucky in that his temples are very thick which makes density matching much easier. Travolta's is awful because his temples are thin so he wears a larger piece that covers the area and it look unnatural. The hairs are also attached sticking straight up which looks weird, hairs naturally grow in a particular direction.

But even Affleck sometimes is sloppy with maintenance and you sometimes see paparazzi pictures of him where the sides don't quite match. 

On 2/23/2018 at 5:31 PM, rich007 said:

#### Rodgers, Ronnie Wood and Mick Jagger's (to name but a few) don't look ridiculous, but are obvious wigs! on the other hand, Jimmy White and Chris Norman's do look ridiculous! :D

I don't think either Rolling Stone wears a system. Obviously colour is dyed but just lucky ! 

IMG_20180302_095014_774.JPG

IMG_20180302_094638_038.JPG