SickOfHidingIt

Best clippers/shaver after SMP

Thanks to everyone on this forum, I am planning to proceed this summer.  Where I once felt trepidation, I am now very excited! 

In preparation, I'd like everyone's opinion on the best trimmer/shaver available to keep my real hair just right.  Im addition, if there are any other purchases that I should make before my sessions, please share those as well.  Thanks

2 hours ago, the bald ego said:

There are many threads on this widely-debated topic. Let the forum ‘search’ button be your friend.

(The answer is Braun.)

Yeah yeah I know, but every time I search I'm getting "error wait 3 seconds before searching again" so I decided to ask without a search result.  Seems like everything online suggests panasonic arc5 or braun 9 series.  Of course these recs are for shaving one's face, not their heads.

As soon as I got my SMP, I treated myself to a higher-end Norelco and a Braun Series 7 at Costco, with the idea of trying both. (I already owned the Panasonic.)

I’ve been shaving my head for over 25 years, and the only shaver I would now recommend is a Braun. To me, Braun is superior in EVERY way to anything I’ve used: it’s a real workhorse that gives me consistently great results... quickly, effortlessly, and comfortably.

Some will disagree – that’s why I suggest that you sort through the existing threads, rather than asking everyone to repost. Or, just get yourself a Braun and save some effort. You won’t be disappointed!

Having been wet shaving forever my wife bought me a Pitbull Silver last month. This fits in your hand and is designed for the head. Does a terrific and incredibly fast job at about half the price of the Braun... though I confess I have never used the Braun and suspect if you are willing to pay the extra Bald Ego's testimony is a winning one. I did just check and Pitbull offer a platinum version which is even more expensive than the Braun. Anyone used it?

13 hours ago, the bald ego said:

As soon as I got my SMP, I treated myself to a higher-end Norelco and a Braun Series 7 at Costco, with the idea of trying both. (I already owned the Panasonic.)

I’ve been shaving my head for over 25 years, and the only shaver I would now recommend is a Braun. To me, Braun is superior in EVERY way to anything I’ve used: it’s a real workhorse that gives me consistently great results... quickly, effortlessly, and comfortably.

Some will disagree – that’s why I suggest that you sort through the existing threads, rather than asking everyone to repost. Or, just get yourself a Braun and save some effort. You won’t be disappointed!

I understand my friend.  The braun offerings are consistently rated highest for comfort and near best for closeness.  Certainly on the top of my list.

7 hours ago, ed@hishairclinic.com said:

Having been wet shaving forever my wife bought me a Pitbull Silver last month. This fits in your hand and is designed for the head. Does a terrific and incredibly fast job at about half the price of the Braun... though I confess I have never used the Braun and suspect if you are willing to pay the extra Bald Ego's testimony is a winning one. I did just check and Pitbull offer a platinum version which is even more expensive than the Braun. Anyone used it?

I saw that.  Looks very intetesting. Will check out the platinum edition.

On 2/1/2018 at 7:02 PM, Sananthony said:

My tech recommended an expensive shaver PanasonicArc 5. I tried cutting costs and got a little cheap thing and it takes ages to cut so i just ordered the panasonic.

On 2/2/2018 at 1:54 PM, SickOfHidingIt said:

I saw that.  Looks very intetesting. Will check out the platinum edition.

Did you ever get your Arc 5?  I'm wondering what your opinion is so far.  I'm deciding between it and the Braun 9000 series.  I like the design of the pitbull, but I am reading too many reviews that suggest they break easily and customer service is not all that friendly!

4 hours ago, SickOfHidingIt said:

Did you ever get your Arc 5?  I'm wondering what your opinion is so far.  I'm deciding between it and the Braun 9000 series.  I like the design of the pitbull, but I am reading too many reviews that suggest they break easily and customer service is not all that friendly!

Yeah i got it, its awesome! Wish I'd have got it first. It's almost as close as a wet shave and my head is done in a minute. I dont get any irritation too because I'm not going over the same areas again and again.

Re: The Platinum version of the Pitbull... apparently the differences are minimal. Battery life mainly. Of little or no interest to someone who needs to use it for 30 seconds to a minute every day. 

Comments regarding reliability are noted. I will handle it with great care. Should possibly have gone Braun :0)

On 2/15/2018 at 1:19 AM, Sananthony said:

Yeah i got it, its awesome! Wish I'd have got it first. It's almost as close as a wet shave and my head is done in a minute. I dont get any irritation too because I'm not going over the same areas again and again.

Nice, thanks for the update!

On 2/15/2018 at 6:40 AM, ed@hishairclinic.com said:

Re: The Platinum version of the Pitbull... apparently the differences are minimal. Battery life mainly. Of little or no interest to someone who needs to use it for 30 seconds to a minute every day. 

Comments regarding reliability are noted. I will handle it with great care. Should possibly have gone Braun :0)

I hope it runs forever for you.  Love the design of it!  I will likely go Braun 9000 series or Panasonic Arc 5  given their long history of reliability.  These things are just too expensive to break, and if they do, customer support should be top notch!

I got the opportunity to check out both the Arc 5 and Braun 9290.  They both look great.  I do worry about razor irritation  (my skin gets pretty red), so, given all the reviews stating the Arc cuts a touch closer, but the Braun is so gentle, I decided to go Braun.  It's charging right now!

These days: I use a beard trimmer if I just need to clean up after a day or two. When I have more time in the mirror, I'll use a manual razor along with shaving oil. Not sure whatever became of that expensive Norelco foil shaver, but with my current routine - I dont miss it much

On 2/24/2018 at 5:11 PM, the bald ego said:

The Braun cuts much more effectively with the lightest possible pressure, just barely touching the skin. Don’t push it into the skin! It’s contraintuitive, and I still need to remind myself regularly to go light.

Thanks for that insight.  Very valuable info!

9 hours ago, JazzHead said:

These days: I use a beard trimmer if I just need to clean up after a day or two. When I have more time in the mirror, I'll use a manual razor along with shaving oil. Not sure whatever became of that expensive Norelco foil shaver, but with my current routine - I dont miss it much

Maybe some day I'll get brave enough to use a manual razor.  Right now I'd probably remove half of the smp if I tried 

On 2/24/2018 at 4:11 PM, the bald ego said:

The Braun cuts much more effectively with the lightest possible pressure, just barely touching the skin. Don’t push it into the skin! It’s contraintuitive, and I still need to remind myself regularly to go light.

Question for @the bald ego... I've got the Braun series 7, liking it but find that I have to be pretty aggressive with it and shave against the grain to get it to do anything (which of course irritates my skin on the back of my head.) I'll have to try your "light touch" method. Are you wet or dry shaving?

27 minutes ago, Soctopus said:

Question for @the bald ego... Are you wet or dry shaving?

100% dry shaving. In fact, I make sure that I shave up **before** I shower, to get a more friction-free glide. Make sure that you clean your razor’s chamber of stubble after each use, and run it under hot water at least once a week. I use **slow** light passes of the razor head on my skin, and initially orient the length of the blades to get the longest contact patch of scalp. Then I turn the razor head 90° to pick up residual stubble. The reason I think that using pressure is inefficient, rather than letting the blades do their work, is that pushing the razor head into the skin may cause a poor hair contact angle and/or incorrect lift from the blade guard. Just guessing, but definitely relaxed, light, slow, and dry makes for the quickest and most comfy shave. It’s not a woodshop sanding project, haha!