Sign in to follow this  
SickOfHidingIt

Really want to do this but...

I am nearly 50 years old and have been dealing with hair loss since age 14.  By 28 I could no longer hide it so I joined Hair Club For Men (really the only option back then).  Honestly, it isn't so bad, but I am tired of the effort it takes to look decent, worrying about a strong wind, and paying the Hair Club Cash Cow.  In addition, At 50 (though I look a lot younger- mid 30's per most people) all this hair is not a mature enough look for my age.  I am more than ready to shave it all off.  I have one problem though.  I am a surgeon so I see lots of people every day.  Between my office and 2 hospitals, there are 100's of people that see me virtually every day.  If I could do this in 1 session, no big deal.  I take a week of vacation, get it all done then go back to work with shaved full head of hair.  It's the time between treatments that makes it difficult for me.   Everyone knows me with a full head of hair, and I simply don't feel comfortable letting everyone know that I've been hiding it this whole time.  If I have to expose my follicular challenge after only one session, I might as well just shave my head and save the money- that would be less embarrassing.  If I could have my first and second sessions with my existing real hair and have my Hair Club system reapplied, then shave it all at the last session, that would be perfect, but I don't know that anyone at HIS or elsewhere can do that.  I would consider Good Looks Ink (1 time treatment), but I simply don't think it looks as good.  Maybe they are just bad pictures, but half of them look like a shadow/smear on their heads.  If I turned out like that, well let's just say I wouldn't be happy.  Any thoughts?

BTW, you might think as a surgeon I could just wear an OR cap all the time until done, but I think it would seem strange to others if I did that.  They are used to seeing some dark curls coming out of the back of the cap.  If asked why- well I think you understand.

Also, just for reference, my hair loss is the entire top of my head. 10.25" front to back, 7.25" left to right with just a little fuzz on top.  Temples are intact and I do have some fuzz in front showing my natural front hairline (not thick enough to stand alone).

Thanks in advance for any of your thoughts.  If we can come up with a good plan, I'm ready to go!

I'm sure you're right, but most guys seem to be going from bald to shaved appearance, not tons of hair to bald to shaved.  Sometimes I feel foolish and think I should just face reality.  Dont really want to do that though.  After a first session, if I shave the rest clean would it blend well or will it be noticeably different than the rest of my head?

One session would be ideal! But from what I have seen, the best clinics do this in a few sessions as that way they won't over do it with too many dots and they can get the color just right.

I have my first session on tuesday and ill be glad to putall this hairloss crap behind me. Might be an idea to book a consultation. Real shame hishair dont have a clinic near you though. 

30 minutes ago, Sananthony said:

Also do you mean you wear a wig? That is better in my opinion as it just looks like you shaved your head rather than hair magically appearing  (this is my main concern).

Yes, Hair Club is essentially a new hair piece every month to keep it fresh and natural.  Of course it is adhessd by them and doesnt come off until they take it off and replace it each visit .  If I could keep the hair piece (and my natural doughnut) until the process was complete, I agree it would be ideal.

Good luck on Tuesday, I hope it turns out better than you ever hoped.  Yes, I wish there was a clinic closer, but I travel pretty well!

That single session treatment also claims not to fade... which brings into question the pigments being used. As a surgeon I am sure you will be more familiar with these processes than anyone here but our monomeric molecules are deliberately simple, they cannot be broken down. They can be carried away by the immune system though... in there is the strategy behind two sessions - at the second session your practitioner can judge the degree of fade and finish the job of blending with additional treatment that may involve additional shades being used. A guaranteed single session that does not fade would have to use larger, more complex molecules. The problem being that when you strip away the smaller elements of that molecule you will be left with something different - you can see the effect on any traditional tattoo where the ink, over time, seems to blur or become blue/green. This can, and does, happen to heads too.

On another point. We do see a significant number of clients who are moving away from hair systems and for exactly the reasons as you lay them out. As Sananthony points out, the transition is much easier in terms of being nervous around friends and colleagues - You have just decided to shave down - I guarantee the biggest reactions will come from your bald friends who had long admired your flowing locks. 

I agree Ed.  Bottom line for me  is visible results, and no matter the method, what looks best is best.  Unfortunately, that doesnt equal a convenient one time session.  I thank you for your last comment as well.  I need to call you guys to discuss.  I'm hoping I might be able to keep my horseshoe and have my system reapplied after the first session (I could organize my visit during the week (Tues or Weds) then go to Hair club on the following Saturday to have my system reapplied.  Then shave it off and keep it off after the second session.  Given my work  schedule (on call etc.), I may need to wait about a month between sessions as well.  I hope that could be accommodated. 

Best talk to the experts regarding the reapplication of the system post SMP Suspect they will recommend you do not go that route. But there should be no issue with extended gaps between sessions... the problems come when clients, who may be flying in for treatment, ask to reduce the gap.

Thanks On the Fence Again.  My only problem with that scenario is that I take 24 hr call every other week 7 days in a row.  The non call weeks I still work but dont need to take care of emergencies at night.  I can only get away for the 7 days when I'm not on call.

This is how I did it, had the procedure done on Friday morning and went to work on Monday by then redness had disappeared and dots begin to shrink.  Went to work people are shocked no hair but no one said a thing about the SMP, no funny looks. Then a week later on Friday did the second session.

The only thing is you have to schedule two sessions about a week apart but not too far apart because otherwise ink starts to fade after first session. 

I believe you would be the best sort of candidate for the hishair smp program. The first treatment would cover all the bald area, hence it would just appear that you had indeed shaved off all your locks. Redness and tiny scabs are nowhere near as bad as photos on here make them appear.....on the photos they are very close up....and the dots are not that big that they look false. Shaving a full head of hair down would look 'raw' in reality in any case (ie, lack of sun colouring, nicks here and there). There would then be some fading before session 2 but others will not notice it, just you because we look at our new 'hair' at every opportunity. Follow-on treatments would then fill in the fading areas and again, no one else notices the added hair. If timing is the problem between session 1 and 2 could you not just have treatment at the start and then end of a vacation? 

I would definately recommend the hishair clinics as opposed to those clinics who try to do it all in one go.

I went from a complete bald nut to shaved 'hair' in 2 sessions (still waiting for fading before my 3rd) and people think it's real...even though it's impossible for me to have grown a full head of hair, so, people will definately believe you have gone from your full head of hair to shaving AND it is so easy to look after each and every day.

Good luck in your decisions.

To anyone that's "on the fence" or scared of SMP looking too dark, or too fake, I would urge you to go in and get your first session done very lightly. My SMP had almost disappeared after the 1st and 2nd sessions, but it gave the practitioner and I a good understanding of how the SMP held up on my scalp. Everyone is different, as they say, and the slow and steady approach is guaranteed to match with the rest of your hair, you'll have time to reevaluate, and you wont be too paranoid about being 'found out'. I went hatless to work after 3 days post treatments and I didn't have to sweat over it. So if you want a gradual transition just talk about it with your practitioner. 

This is such great advice from all of you!  I appreciate it so much.  I was somehow under the impression that immediately after the first session, up until a second or third session, I would appear very thin on top compared to my sides.  I understand it will fade but what you are describing sounds like it's no big deal.  I will carefully plan my work schedule around this and go for it.  Likely in May or June.  I am and have always been a very confident guy in everything I do, but this hair loss thing (starting at 14 years old) has always my Achilles heel.  I believe SMP is my answer, and now feel comfortable in my decision to proceed. Thanks all for that boost of courage!