So i'm nearly 'there' in terms of selecting SMP over a transplant but have some lingering doubts, any help would be much appreciated:

1) My hair loss is not equal in terms of the fact that the regression to a horseshoe is less severe on one side. The general consensus on the forum seems to be that wet shaving the head gives the best results. If this is the case would the filled in area with SMP not look lopsided?

2) I am aiming for a very natural / minimalist look that i think will let me get away with not revealing i have had the procedure (I already buzz my head with a foil shaver). I have also read that you cannot buzz the treated area for a period of time following a procedure. If i cannot buzz my 'real' hair following a procedure will the SMP not be obvious thereby meaning that I would need to remain housebound for a week or so following treatment? This would mean three weeks off work if three sesssions are required?

3) Does Sun exposure cause damage (As in bleeding) or fading? Fading could be fixed (money not being a huge issue) whereas bleeding would be a real problem? I ask because I reguarly train for extended periods of time outside and usually have at lest one two week sunny holiday per year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I think this forum is probably the best hair loss network I have come across.

Hi Cityworker

There are so many threads on here regarding shaving.. recommend you use the search function to find some. My twopenneth would be that I wet shaved for years and yes it can look a bit sharp for the first few hours (nobody has ever commented)  - but I can then go for 3 days before needing to again. However, my very recent birthday turned up a present from my wife that has converted me to a razor... specifically the "Pitbull". One of several on the market that are specifically aimed at shaving the head (it claims to be good for the chin too but I only attempted it once and it did not go well). This gives me a fantastically fast finish that does not need touching for a couple of days, possibly 3 but have not yet found the need to let it run that long.

2&3 Everyone heals uniquely but any bleeding will be done during the treatment and the tiny puncture wounds heal pretty much immediately. Most see the post-treatment redness disappear over a few hours, certainly by the next day. Fading between sessions is part of the process but each session tidies up the previous one and I would expect a 3 week holiday to tick all the boxes for you. The only risk from sunlight is the action of the UV on the pigment which can cause it to fade over time. Wear a good UV suncream and there should be no restrictions on your lifestyle choices.

... Thanks to SomeMagicalProcedure for that brutally honest assessment of HT.

I'll just add my 2 cents based on my own experience.  In all, I've had 4 sessions done with HIS (3 main sessions and 1 warranty touchup session).  After the 1st session, my scalp was pretty red for 2-3 days (i'm also very pale naturally), but subsided significantly thereafter.  The 2nd and 3rd sessions were much better, as the redness faded within hours rather than days.  Even for the touchup session done at the end of August 2017 (a year and 3 months later), the redness literally faded less than 2 hrs after the session.  

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond.

My question regarding shaving was more that my hair loss is not symmetrical therefore the smp filled in area will be asymmetrical which would be obvious after shaving?

Also what do you do following treatment if you cant shave your head for a week afterwards? Assume you are housebound for this week?

They shave all your hair  off at clinic then they will go  with the color shade on what your head looks shaved and will  put amp all over head  so when u get bit stubble should look even I not sure if that' what u r asking sorry if it' not.