Ivor

Getting caught out

Hi to everyone. Like thousands of posts on this forum, I too have been reading and gathering information about SMP for quite some time. It took me about 3 years to pluck up the courage and save up the pound coins to finally start the procedure. I have been going bald since I was about 14 and definitely totally bald for over 30 years. I'm 55 now and although I was used to being bald, I didn't particularly enjoy having nothing there at all. I am also very, very fair skinned. And this is where my problem lies!

I had viewed the hundreds of photos, before and after pics, and paid particular attention to those with fair skin; Damien's in particular. And I was seriously impressed by SMP. It seemed by the photos that the addition of 'hair' was quite subtle after a few days of settling down. I shocked my partner by telling her about SMP and saying I wanted to get it done. People think I was happy and confident in my baldness. Although not paranoid about baldness, I would rather have had hair, but would still then have shaved it to the bone.

I had my second session 16 days ago in Birmingham. I'd left work for a 2 month period to get the treatment done. I bled quite a bit for both sessions and my scalp was in poor condition, although I have used moisturiser for years. I didn't go out for the first week. The transformation from a totally clear, bald head to my current appearance was / is, very obvious. I had shade 50 and then 52 so I was expecting the illusion of hair to be far more subtle than it currently is.

My partner's friend visited our home about 10 days in. She is quite a switched on cookie. Her brother is a tattoo artist and her husband's head is exactly like mine was. When I left she immediately asked my partner 'Has he had his head tattooed?' She was  shocked that I would be so bothered about baldness and had obviously heard something about such treatments. My partner didn't know how to respond; I'd told her it would fade so people would hardly notice so she was left out on a limb. She said while off work I'd let my hair grow. The friend knew that wasn't true but she is a good friend who I think I can trust not to gossip about it. Then, after 2 weeks of hiding from the world and it being Christmas, (having already avoided two parties), I decided it was time to risk it and get out there. I met a large group of pals. Nightmare!! 'Where did you get that hair from?' ''You've grown your hair. How can you do that when you are so bald?' and worst of all 'You can't grow hair; how are you doing that?'  I wasn't directly challenged again about a 'tattoo' but people weren't convinced I hadn't had something done.

I know, 2 weeks isn't enough for all the fading to take place, but what does concern me is how so many posters on here have said they've never been caught out, yet both times I've been seen by others I've been challenged about the sudden transformation. I am starting back to work in January. They all know me as being totally bald. We have new people coming to us for our services every week, some of whom I've known for years. I'm now wondering what on earth am I going to say.

Has anyone been asked to explain their transformation from a clearly totally bald head to their new shaved hair appearance? If so, what were your replies???

****Just to clarify though, this is NOT a dig at HIS or SMP. Were I starting a new life where no-one knows me then this procedure so far would be ideal; no-one would know that I wasn't simply shaving my hair down. This post is for advice on how to explain my sudden transformation when I don't want people to know I had such treatment****

Three times in total. Two times on dating sites by women in the business. One time by a student who saw an advertisement on facebook. Three times out of thousands of meetings with different people. On all occassions I do not think he treatment was obvious, just people put two and two together based on the fact nobody with hair would shave to bone by choice or at least v v few. Sometimes, in fact I wonder if people can see it at all after seven sessions lol. Non bald guys never ever comment except to say, they hope they don't lose their hair and if they do they will do what I did and shave it all off lol Bald guys do pick up on it though and ask why since I have hair I shave it

Willgreen, SEVEN sessions? Wow!! I found both my sessions quite painful...higher than the 2/10 pain markers people have quoted. Not to say the few hours of pain aren't worth the relief from baldness, though.

I'm considering when questioned again of saying I'm taking medication for hair loss or something like that. I dunno if that is better than just trying to laugh it off and not provide a reason. I would just come clean but one guy at work used to wear a hairpiece and he received such derisive comments as well as people laughing behind his back that honesty may not be the best plan. 

Anyone else ever been asked to explain their sudden transformation?

It's an unusual response. Most people seem to get either no reaction , or asked if they've lost weight or got a tan or something not related to the improvement.

We've even seen some semi famous people who are in the public eye getting absolutely no press reaction, or at worse a "transplant" accusation.

Pretty sure in a few weeks your immediate contacts will have forgotten the change, and occasional contacts just thinking you look better.

Personally i use fibres on diffuse balding to get away with looking N3 rather than N5 and intend to answer the "why do you shave" by saying i was balding and it looks better shaved,

Never been caught out either. I am a NW 5-6 myself. After my treatment I now have a similar hairline like the HIS testimonial in the attached photo (I don't like the NW 0 straight and sharp hairline look. A broken and feathered hairline and some receding always looks best IMO, especially when you're not in your 20's anymore). Nobody ever wondered or gave me a stare or something. The only thing some of my colleagues and pals said was something like "Oh, you shaved your head? Looks good, man". And that was it. 

rob-after01.jpg

Hi Ivor, have you uploaded any pics? Or got any to show in natural lighting.

I've not had the treatment done and have like yourself being looking into it for 2 yrs. Just not got the courage to go ahead yet. 

I'm sure it will settle down in time. You done now or having a 3rd session? 

Thanks for the replies. I dunno what is going on with me and why I am the only one really being scrutinised. I think the photo in SMPler's post looks superb. It is darker than mine but like I am very light skinned and also i think having had NOTHING AT ALL up top for years it's too obvious a change from how I looked before.

2hanger, I will try and post photos over the next day or 2. (Never done it before so will need to work out how). I do keep going back to Damien's photos and other light / fair skinned photos and mine is so much darker (and a bit blueish????).

I've met up with family for Christmas and it's ranges from my mother thinking I'm letting my hair grow to my brother asking if I've had a transplant...albeit he was joking but it shows my smp is so obvious.

I will try and load before and after photos as soon as I can. Thanks again for your replies.

I would like to see some pictures as well. It's good people like you are honest and give this side of the story. Sometimes on here members shame those who are bald into thinking they have to get this procedure or they will look like shit and their life will be ruined. If it's not completely undectable all the time it's not worth it. Would rather shave with a razor and grow some facial hair than be called out. Some treatments seem to be good enough not to get called out on. After researching this for multiple years this whole procedure is a really big gamble and you shouldn't rush into it. The consequences can be extremely bad. Good luck.

2hanger and Shaved Shadow. I intend trying to upload photos tomorrow. I've been away for Christmas and travelled back home today...nightmare traffic......so am knackered now but will try tomorrow. I took photos on my mobile phone before I had my first session then a couple of photos last week which I sent to HisHair to get their opinion on a worry I have. So, I just need to work out how to load them from my phone.

I don't want to put anyone off having SMP. Like I said previously, if I were starting a new life elsewhere then this would be fine, but EVERYONE notices that suddenly I have quite a lot of 'dark hair stubble'  when they have always known me with a very fair skinned completely bald head. Unless I'm mates with Harry Potter, my transformation is not believeable. 

2hanger, in answer to your post, I've had 2 sessions, both about 5 hours long. I'm due a 3rd session in January but as it is already too noticeable I don't know what to do about that 3rd session. Lazer, perhaps???

I know this post is worthless without photos though so I will leave it at that till tomorrow.

After my first treatment my right temple was very painful. When I went back for the 2nd session after one full week I still couldn't touch  that area so my 2nd session was simply to lower the front a couple of mm and attend to the top. So blending may not look right. 

Session 1 was with shade 50; session 2 with 52 so I hoped for a lighter shading. The sides are the shade I was hoping for all over (as though I had decided to shave because my hair was starting to  thin and beginning to go bald) but the extra work on the top is just too dark and too, well, intense I suppose. I'm also unsure of how the hairline goes; for my age and previous total baldness I think it should look more receded on each side. Could that easily be lazered to that shape????

Hi Ivor, yes you are light skinned but I think it looks good. Its hard to see properly as the pics are a little out of focus or a little to far away.

When are you back in work, has it settled any? what clinic did you have it done at Birmingham?

Have you ever used the moisturiser with tan in it Ivor, I've started to use it, only with a slight light tint to it, Asda or tesco do it. Sounds a bit pansy'ish haha but it just takes that edge off being pasty as Im light skinned to. Just an idea.

5 hours ago, 2hanger said:

Hi Ivor, yes you are light skinned but I think it looks good. Its hard to see properly as the pics are a little out of focus or a little to far away.

When are you back in work, has it settled any? what clinic did you have it done at Birmingham?

Have you ever used the moisturiser with tan in it Ivor, I've started to use it, only with a slight light tint to it, Asda or tesco do it. Sounds a bit pansy'ish haha but it just takes that edge off being pasty as Im light skinned to. Just an idea.

That is a good shout 2Hanger, one people have posted about before on here... though not for a while.

Hi guys,

My scalp has been itchy and sore for a long time now, and I got a lot of dandruff in the rest of the hair. I wanted to try some solutions for my dry scalp and I read some mask recipes on .http://ohealthyeah.com/dandruff/ .  I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them or knows how to improve my scalp care with a natural, organic mask? I would be very thankful if you solve my scalp problems at least

2hangar, not thought of using that tinted moisturiser.....I will try it starting today...my partner has some that she uses occasionally. Any idea what it is like in the rain, though? I know the photos aren't great. I may get someone else to take a few and see if I can get them clearer. There are a couple of plus points; I have not had any large dots at all. My treatment never 'scabbed over' but at no time have I looked at it and thought that I had such large dots that I've seen on the forum; also, my scalp is in far better condition that it has been for years. I was advised by the practitioner to try a different moisturiser, containing vitamin E which does seem to help. My head was bruised for well over a week after the second treatment though.

I had my treatment in Birmingham and am due back to work at the start of January. My problem and dilemma is that nearly all the posts I've seen said people didn't notice much change or commented about now growing their hair but with me EVERYONE has noticed and commented. I work in an environment where p**s taking is rife. Mine does like a full head of shaven hair, which would have taken a miracle. In particular, I had shades 50 and 52 so I'm quite worried. I've seen posts where they've said even their wife / sister / girlfriends haven't even known they've had the treatment. I look at 'Magnus' treatment on the forum and that was how I had hoped mine would be like. I think I need to colour my eyebrows because they are much lighter than my treatment.

I wouldn't say I'm a worrier about things but this has had me awake from 3am every morning, looking to see if it has faded...and it hasn't. Ah well, it's done now and all I can hope for is that it slowly starts to fade, perhaps in the sunshine next summer????

2hangar, I was up your way for Christmas. Wish I'd seen then where your location was; we could have met up and you could have seen SMP in real life, albeit not yet the finished product.

Apparently 60 is the lightest shade. My practitioner said she had never used lighter than 50 before my 2nd session. That's one reason why I am so concerned about how dark mine looks. Maybe mine should have started with 60.

We were out shopping today. I don't get any stares or 2nd looks from people who don't know me. But stopped to talk to an old friend who kept looking up at my scalp and finally asked 'what have you done?'

I tried to joke saying I got it in a xmas cracker but this is really upsetting how noticeable the change is. I'm now starting to regret having this done!!

I'm a nw7. My sides are close to the same as yours. The pictures aren't the clearest but we are roughly the same. When I'm freshly wet shaved only a light horeshoe is visible. That's what I would want to match. Under bright lighting you would hardly be able to see my remaining hair or smp if it was done correctly. Under relaxed lighting it would be more visible but still very very light. I think it represents extremely poorly on the practitioner and the company that they'd go this dark even if it's only a shade 50. You shouldn't have to do spray tans or wear concealers to try to improve it. The practitioner should of started a small sample size of 60 and seen how that matched. If it was to dark then they should of been up front with you and went over your options. From the sounds of it you would of chosen not to have the procedure rather than be in the predicament you're in now where it's to dark. Really sorry for the situation you find yourself in and hope things improve. Or a solution is figured out. Concealers and spray tans are not the answer or what you should have to put yourself through moving forward to offset the darkness and mistake in matching.

The horeshoe for me shows right after I wet shave. Although it's very faint it's there enough to where it bugs me. I've always said if I had some hair in the back that eliminated the horeshoe and was bald everywhere else up top I would be fine with not wanting anything done. I'm content with being bald and how it looks and blends from the front view. I hate the look from behind in pictures and in the mirror though. It sticks out even after a fresh shave. It's amazing what a little hair in that area would do in fixing it aesthetically. Or being a darker ethnicity. I don't like the fake tans becuase they're all a little off. Even the good ones. I've tried a bunch and researched what was best. They're all off in color. I won't do tanning beds as it's to risky. The challenge with smp for me is taking the fresh wet shave and it matching my very light hair. I'm not looking to match a days growth. If I get it done I want it matched to when its freshly shaved. And that requires really light ink and tiny dots. Hang in there. Keep posting and hopefully it lightens up some more. We're here to support you in moving forward. Hopefully you can post some clearer pictures. It doesn't look awful. Just to dark. And the fact you're getting comments sucks.

Hi Ivor, sorry not been on for a bit just been busy with Xmas etc. I usually go on here mooching in work haha. 

I live in Warrington and yes would of met up. 

This is crazy I've been wanting to see some treatments in real life (without going to manc his office) for a few years Ivor. 

And this weekend while out on the piss I've seen two guys who' had it done. The reason I noticed is because I'm bald nw6 and I'm always weighing heads up. Now then these two heads of smp blew me away. Im not jokng in a bar last night I went around this guy literally 1 metre away and it was good... Very good. I' not sure who done these procedures as didn't ask.

I've shaved to a number zero since I was 30 im now 40. It doesn't really bother me being bald anymore, I'm in decent shape hitting the gym, do ok with women from online dating sites. But seeing his results there' always room for improvement lol.

I nearly convinced now and will.be looking into it 2018.