Sign in to follow this  
2mm

SMP suitability? 2mm Buzz Cut currently + pics

Hello all,

I discovered this SMP procedure a couple days ago, and have been thinking about it excitedly ever since. Feels like it might work for me. Was hoping for some others' opinions.

I currently shave my head with a Remington HC4250AU using the "2mm" guide.

I actually really love this haircut, and would probably do something similar if I had a full head of my younger hair. It used to grow into something like a curly 'fro. Not great. Keeping it short is definitely the way to go.

HOWEVER, I've never gone full-on scalp cut. 2mm buzz is the lowest, which I've been doing for 2 years or so.

Would something like my current hair work with SMP, or would I need to cut considerably closer to the scalp?

The pictures are the 2mm buzz + about 4 days of growth. I'm going to shave again tonight, using the 1.5mm guard this time. 

I'm also curious about how SMP would look on my forehead. 

I definitely do NOT want a defined fresh barbershop line across my forehead. 

Looks great for the African and Latino guys, but IMO not so much for the white guys like me. Unfortunately it seems like most of the pictures I see have that clean line look. Any advice or pictures for more of a natural/receding/faded look? My current hairline is perfect, just need more hair!

Thanks for your thoughts! Pics in next post.

Welcome to the forum buddy. 

In my honest opinion, given the thickness of your hair on the sides and back, leaving it at 2mm length won't blend with SMP that well at all, mostly due to the lack of "3d" ness with the areas treated by SMP.  My natural hair colour is as dark as yours, and the max i can go is 2 days growth after using a razor and shaving to the bone.  

My suggestion, really, is for you to shave your down to 0mm and see if you can get used to that look first.  If you can't, then SMP may not be the most viable option for you. 

If you have any other questions, let us know! 

Vin

Great, thanks. I definitely understand the 2d vs. 3d issue. Pity there's not a tiny synthetic buzz cut implant rather than tattooing it on!

I'm going to try a 1.5mm shave and go from there. I'll try guardless after that.

I guess I'll have the choice between:

- Fairly good/thick/dark on the sides + natural bald/sparse up top

- Shaved more on the sides + SMP on top

Do any of you have opinions of the aesthetics of my current look vs. what it might look like at 0mm + SMP?

I've gotten several (complementary-ish) "bald + beard" comments lately, and seeing the back in these pics makes me realize I'm almost down to the skin anyway. Maybe it's time to cut closer...

well there are FUE implants but personally i feel like SMP is the better way to go as it's less invasive and wayyy more cost effective. 

I think you'll look fine with 0mm + smp dude! I think what you'll be concerned about (at first) is blending your head to your beard, but i guarantee that it won't be a prob as i have a lot of friends with shaved heads and full beard and it looks badass (wish I could grow a damn beard)

I think you will get a great result blending SMP in with your remaining hair, you have still got quite a solid sides and back going and my opinion is you would be comfortable as a two shave a week guy with a foil shaver... but go for it, take it off see how you feel with it right down to 0. Go to the videos section and check out Rob's he has a similar amount of hair.

Shaved it down using the lowest guard setting on my Remington HC4250, which is marked as Number 0 / 1.5mm.

Looks pretty good! Still plenty dark due to the hairs. The previous 2mm length didn't give that much more skin coverage in the back/sides, despite the 1.5mm hair *feeling* much more like a "shave" haircut and the 2mm like a buzz.

What do you think? Would this work with SMP or do I need to go even lower?

Went with the $30 amazon rotary shaver mentioned above.

Got zero comments about a new hairdo at work, despite this cut feeling a lot more shaved/bald than I was feeling before.

Loving it with a bit of stubble. Pretty damn bald immediately after the shave though, that was weird.

Going to try shaving with it again tonight and see how much it takes off.