• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 George21

George21

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:19 PM

I'm 21 years old and have had long hair for years. I've been losing hair the past 2 years or so and am now at the point of considering changing my hairstyle. I can wear my hair in a ponytail which helps cover the back of my head but the front looks very thin.

I'm thinking about buzzing my hair, how do you think it'll look? My hair is light brown and thin so I'm not sure if it'll make me look even balder. How short should I buzz if yes. Also how would SMP suit me?

Your help is much appreciated :)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4644.JPG
  • IMG_4667.JPG
  • IMG_4662.JPG
  • IMG_4645.JPG

#2 Josh2.0

Josh2.0

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 30 July 2017 - 03:47 PM

hey, George, you and I have similar facial features.   I'd say buzz it off, not to the bone but just short.  That's what I did 15 years ago, haven't looked back since.

When I decided to buzz my hair I mentally prepared myself for 2 months.  I thought my dating life was going to end but much to my surprise it had the opposite effect.  Maybe I looked good, maybe I felt more confident not worrying and fussing over my hair, I don't know, but you can't really stop what's coming so embrace it.  

josh

• iHAIR and HIS - Ed like this

"People stare at my head because they like what they see"

George Costanza

#3 Lt.Col Kojak Slaphead III

Lt.Col Kojak Slaphead III

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 11:58 AM

You still have a lot of hair, you could probably reverse whatever hairloss you have with propecia. As for buzzing it off, yes you'd look good with SMP but personally if I had that much hair I'd be more worried about keeping it unless you don't really care and have accepted going bald.

#4 George21

George21

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:53 PM

I'm not very keen on using propecia as in Australia it's expensive and I'm concerned about side effects. I've been on nioxin for a while which has seemed to slow the loss but it's still happening. I definitely am noticeably thinning probably a bit more in real life than in the photos as my hair is light brown and thin. Thank you both for your help, I'm still considering buzzing it but I'm worried I'll look even more bald given my hair colour and how thin it is...more opinions are welcome :)
  • HIS - Ed likes this

#5 checkingthisout

checkingthisout

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:22 AM

In all honesty, most people keep their hair too long when thinning. I'd say buzz down now so you can still grow a lot back if you hate it.
  • HIS - Ed likes this

#6 Gretsch

Gretsch

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWestworld

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

Buzz down to at least a No. 1, get yourself and others used to it then when you decide to go for SMP no one is going to be taken aback by your appearance. I'd say you'd be a good candidate and you'll rock the look. Big step to shave down I know but keep your chin up and get over the initial bump, you will look and feel so much better. Good luck!

• HIS - Ed likes this

#7 Bald Fool

Bald Fool

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSunderland

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:17 PM

I agree with the previous posts.

I'm bald no matter how short my hair is, but the shorter my hair is the less bald I look . I wish I had buzzed it 10+ years ago when I was thinning. I remember being anxious about doing it at the time but it made a remarkable difference and people didn't realise I was thinning. They just thought I'd changed my style but now I'm at the stage where I need SMP, you might not SMP yet.

• HIS - Ed likes this

#8 Spinner

Spinner

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:39 AM

I think you would look a lot lot better with the buzzed look . So much more up to date . I would wait tho till you have your smp treatment which I would have soon . You would look so different all at once it would work in your favour , people wouldn't notice so much

#9 Trendy

Trendy

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationLondon Clinic

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:39 PM

Hi George 21!

In my experience of my own hair loss and the hair loss of other people you are too young to keep your hair for the next decade. If you would be in the fourties, I would says - "stay cool", because men who have so much hair like you in their forties, they lose hair much slower. So George, you are right, to think about the situation in your young age. so you have enough time fo find the best solution for you!

So, what would I do? First of all, I would go to the Doc to make some tests. Maybe you have only a big vitamin deficient. If it is all ok, look to your grandpa (father of your mom), because it is claimed, that we men inherit our hair not from our fathers, but 50% of our mums and the other 50% of our grandfather (only father of our mum). Then you can see, what will happen to your hair in the next years. But some men have great luck, because the 50% of their mums are deciding the hair situation...! :) 

I have had the same problem in younger age, so I changed my hair colour in blond, so the skin shimmers less through. But if you do not like blond hair, you should cut your hair a little bit, because shorter hair looks mostly not so thin.

Buy a dark eyeliner and make some dots between your hair ( on the front of your tophair) to make the skin in this area darker. Later on you can wasch it out easily!  If your scalp is less visible, your hair loss looks less. Then you can improvise, how a SMP would work for you, if you want still walk some years with longer hair. Also women are using SMP for their thin hair, if the have dark hair...! But if you want to know how you would look with a shaving head and SMP, use the possibility here to upload a photo of you and see how do you look like with your new style.

Another option and my favourite for you, because you have soooo great thick hair on the sides, would be  (not now, but in some years, when you know, how your hairproblem evolves in the future) a hairtransplantation and better a combination out of hairtransplantation and SMP. Go to google now and write:  "antonio conte hair" . He is the coach of the Chelsea football club in England now and he had made a hairtransplantation - maybe with a SMP. What a great result! 

Good luck for you George 21 and sorry for my bad school english, I am from Germany! ;)

Trendy

• HIS - Ed likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users