Photo

Was banking on SMP being my savoir. After shaving my head I know it'll look awful on me.

SMP Finasteride Balding 20 diffuse

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Naysayyer

Naysayyer

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLancashire

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:35 PM

Hello everyone.

I'm 20 y/o and two months ago something triggered my hair to start rapidly diffuse thinning all across the top. I was banking on SMP being my cure for baldness, but after buzzing down with a zero guard I don't suit it at all. 

My hair is too light so under bright light I'll just look straight bald, my skin is too pale and my skull sticks out noticeably at the back. 

I just don't have the 'look' to pull this off. I don't want to go into work tomorrow because of how self conscious I currently feel with my hair like this. 

I'm really considering starting finasteride and minoxidil now. The side effects of both scare me but they seem like my only option.

Figured I'd post here before committing to the above medications. Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations in general that apply to my situation?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails

• I6PV8U3 - Imgur.jpg
  • a7ThgPa - Imgur.jpg
  • 0krdmh2 - Imgur.jpg
  • m9RZ49R - Imgur.jpg
  • 6ijYxWi - Imgur.jpg
  • uW7Zb9Q - Imgur.jpg

#2 dasher

dasher

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Locationbirmingham

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:57 PM

Your joking right ? SMP will look great on you, you can try the simulation first. And my hair is lighter than yours and thin even were it grows fully on sides . And I love my treatment Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
  • David1963 and JurgenKloppSaviour like this

#3 Naysayyer

Naysayyer

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLancashire

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:21 PM

Your joking right ? SMP will look great on you, you can try the simulation first. And my hair is lighter than yours and thin even were it grows fully on sides . And I love my treatment Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I appreciate the kind words but I really don't like it.

I have a consultation at the Manchester clinic that I'll still attend but I'm having massive doubts about this now.

#4 vinnydiesel

vinnydiesel

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:40 PM

I don't know how your hair density looked prior to shaving your hair down, but to be honest, it looks pretty good to me as is, and you actually have a much better head shape than a lot of people i know who have a shaved head.  Your face actually match a shaved head very well, but I get that if it's not the look you're comfortable with, then you should explore other options.  

All I'm saying is, if you change your mind and continue to have a shaved head, that you can get away with not even requiring SMP.  Just my two cents. 

Vin

• dasher likes this

#5 the bald ego

the bald ego

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:04 PM

It looks **excellent** shaved. Give yourself time to get used to the change, and go with a confident attitude.
  • dasher likes this
>> Simulated hairline.

#6 Naysayyer

Naysayyer

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLancashire

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:09 PM

I don't know how your hair density looked prior to shaving your hair down, but to be honest, it looks pretty good to me as is, and you actually have a much better head shape than a lot of people i know who have a shaved head.  Your face actually match a shaved head very well, but I get that if it's not the look you're comfortable with, then you should explore other options.  

All I'm saying is, if you change your mind and continue to have a shaved head, that you can get away with not even requiring SMP.  Just my two cents. 

Vin

Here are some pictures of my hair before I buzzed it:
Imgur.com/a/cUXvt

My hairloss is still in the relatively early stages, but it's how quickly it's progressing that's worrying me. I had zero signs of hair loss not even two months ago, and before I buzzed my head I was losing 500+ hairs a day.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'll have another few months with a shaved head while my hair grows back so I might start to like it.

Thanks Vin.

#7 Haleyed

Haleyed

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:09 PM

Well the good thing is that you're going to Manchester and the best results I've seen in the UK are from the technician there.
  • David1963 likes this

#8 Naysayyer

Naysayyer

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLancashire

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:11 PM

It looks **excellent** shaved.

Give yourself time to get used to the change, and go with a confident attitude.

Thank you for the support.

It's going to be a while before it grows back, maybe I'll grow to like it over the coming weeks.

#9 the bald ego

the bald ego

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:43 PM

Here are some pictures of my hair before I buzzed it:
Imgur.com/a/cUXvt
My hairloss is still in the relatively early stages, but it's how quickly it's progressing that's worrying me. I had zero signs of hair loss not even two months ago, and before I buzzed my head I was losing 500+ hairs a day.

Saw your pics. That's how fast mine fell out, also. It put my whole life in a tailspin, because I was so upset about it.

Pretty smart of you to start working on a new look now, whether with SMP or not. I definitely agree with you about the dangers of hair drug remedies.

It'll all work out.
  • HIS - Ed likes this
>> Simulated hairline.

#10 Josh2.0

Josh2.0

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:32 AM

POPULAR

I started reading this thread and I started to feel for the guy and then scrolled down to the pics.

Not what I was expecting.  I think we always judge ourselves the hardest

from not knowing you, I think it does "suit you" and you have a perfectly normal shaped head

just my 2 cents and I wouldn't bother commenting unless it was the truth

• dasher, HIS - Ed and Lukeyb like this

"People stare at my head because they like what they see"

George Costanza

#11 Three Crowns

Three Crowns

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Location...

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:55 AM

I think you have a great head shape. Just give it a week or two to get used to it. I think most of us don't like the buzzed look the first time we see it. Good luck!
  • HIS - Ed and sbtd like this

#12 Lukeyb

Lukeyb

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationSurrey

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:46 PM

You have only clipped it? You need to shave mate, its not what i wanted either but it looks far better. Im ginger so if i clip it looks wierd with the black ink and red hair but when i shave its flawless.

Get some sensitive skin shaving foam, a cheap razor and make sure you have a shower before then you only need to shave your head every two days.

Trust me you have the head shape for it
  • HIS - Ed likes this

#13 Lukeyb

Lukeyb

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationSurrey

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:48 PM

I started reading this thread and I started to feel for the guy and then scrolled down to the pics.
Not what I was expecting. I think we always judge ourselves the hardest
from not knowing you, I think it does "suit you" and you have a perfectly normal shaped head
just my 2 cents and I wouldn't bother commenting unless it was the truth

I agree, i lurk a lot but i had to comment on this as well
  • Josh2.0 and HIS - Ed like this

#14 JurgenKloppSaviour

JurgenKloppSaviour

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:52 PM

Dude! Your head looks great no joke! SMP will really enhance it.  Your skin type and colour renders some of the best results I've seen with SMP.  Don't fret, you won't regret it.

• HIS - Ed likes this

#15 Gandalfsbanger

Gandalfsbanger

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationUnder a hat

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:41 PM

I agree.  Looks fine.  You have a good head shape, strong neck and traps.

• HIS - Ed likes this

#16 HIS - Ed

HIS - Ed

HIS Staff

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:22 PM

20 is not an age to accept losing your hair. Or, in my opinion, to start taking drugs with side-effects that you have to commit to for the rest of your life. 

Seeing yourself with a clipped/shaved head for the first time is always going to be a shock... this wave of support from some experienced and highly regarded posters is genuine. Do not discount the possibility that SMP is exactly your solution too soon.

• JurgenKloppSaviour likes this

#17 checkingthisout

checkingthisout

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:06 AM

What Ed said.
  • HIS - Ed likes this

#18 Spinner

Spinner

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:40 AM

I think you look really good with the shaved look . Suits you a lot , when you get used to it you like it more and more . I think if you have smp with the amount of hair you have now you could carry on using the clippers it will fill it out , if you lose more it doesn't matter you just start using a shaver but cause your hair is so short any way you'll not notice much nor will anyone else . I don't think really you can lose
  • HIS - Ed and JurgenKloppSaviour like this

#19 Naysayyer

Naysayyer

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLancashire

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:31 PM

Thanks for the support everyone.

It's been a couple of days now and I've got used to it more. I think my initial dissatisfaction was from how thin it looks on top, as opposed to the shaved head look itself. When it looks more 'filled in' with the SMP in place I'm sure I'll be more accepting of the whole situation.

Thanks again for all of the kind words, it meant a lot to someone who was in a bad place. 

The only question now is whether to go temporary or permanent. Hopefully my consultation next week will bring me closer to a decision. 

• HIS - Ed likes this

#20 checkingthisout

checkingthisout

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 June 2017 - 02:41 PM

It seems like it's super easy to laser off from someone who just made a minor tweak so I would go permanent personally.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users