#1 Hedges

Hedges

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSouthampton

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:51 PM

Hi guys,

new to the forum today!
I've been looking into SMP for a while now, I am alittle unclear though, I hope someone can help?
I currently wet shave my head with my friendly bic, however I am often left with almighty shiney head that belongs in my local bowling alley.
Ideally I'd prefer to use an electric shaver once I've had the treatment, I'm a little confused as to how the colour matching process works though? my hair colour appears significantly different when left for a day or too opposed to when I freshly shave it.
How will the team match the colour? Do they simply match the colour of my head when it has been shaved? Will it look odd if I grew my hair out for a day or two?
Sorry if this is really stupid question.

Thanks
Hedges

#2 PermanentVacation

PermanentVacation

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:10 PM

As far as I know it's when your head is shaved. I wet shave my smp every 2-3 days and I have no blending issues etc. I also don't have a shine or if I do so what. After you freshly save after a bit it dulls itself or just shave before you go to bed.

I shave one direction front to back and downwards at a slight angle at the sides.

Either way you will have to shave every 2 or so days. Which is a non issue :)

#3 JurgenKloppSaviour

JurgenKloppSaviour

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:13 AM

Your head has to be shaved at the beginning of each treatment allowing the ink to be matched to the colour of what's there.  Depending on where your baldness is, it's difficult to grow out hair as you can tell the 3D against surface level SMPs.

#4 SMP4me

SMP4me

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:02 PM

actually, i think thats an excelent question, Hedges!!

As fas as I know, at HIS , all "colors" are actually a variation of Blacks or greys. The same ink is used for all "colors", and diluted more or less depending on the intensity desired.

The idea is that all hair of all colors  looks like grey dots when it is shaved. The practitioner  (PCT) will evaluate your shaved hair, skin tone and other factors and select a shade of ink that they will obtain by diluting that black ink  more or less.

They will attempt to match your follicles that are shaved with an electric shaver, which is less close of a shave than a wet shave. Why? because if they match a wet shave , you will be obliged to wet shave every few hours to match existing hair with a very light SMP. 

Also, with the electric shave, your follicles appear a bit darker, and the smp can be made a bit darker to match, which gives you a fuller appearance and also  allows the hair and SMP to match for more time between shaves, if that makes sense.

The PCT will select a shade at first session, or maybe several, for different parts of scalp, and then will evaluate that shade upon your return for following sessions,, and keep same shade or go lighter or darker as needed. Every scalp retains pigment differently.

A shade 28 is 1 part pigment and 28 parts dilution, and a 32 is 1 part pigment for 32 dilution. So a smaller number represents a darker mix.

sometimes, a 1 is used, for dark african-descent clients, and even then its not dark enough.

As far as shine, all heads can shine when shaved, even the ones with lots of hair. there are several antishines out there, just do a search on this forum!!

best of luck mate, and good on ya for doing your research!

• HIS - Ed likes this

#5 HIS - Ed

HIS - Ed

HIS Staff

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:28 PM

Everything SMP4ME says is accurate... it doesn't matter what color shade or density of hair you arrive with. The treatment will see your hair reduced to dots, which are then matched with  SMP. The density can be increased, a necessity in the region where blending is required at the hairline, wherever that might be. But color is largely an irrelevance that only requires the practitioner to select the correct shade/s of black... even for grey hair (check out the story posted by Bald Ego). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users