#1 Asianguy

Asianguy

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:29 AM

So I was at a social networking event and was chatting with a guy I just met and he sees this other bald Norwood 7 guy walking in and the conversation went something like this:

Him: hey, it's your twin
Me: why do you say that?
Him: because of your hair
Me: really? But look at my hairline (I'm usually not this vain but was seeking validation)
Him: yea your shaved head does look good on you, makes you look confident. Your hairline is actually even lower than mine (as he lifts his bangs up to show me his receding hairline)

I'm confused as to why I was compared to a bald Norwood 7 if he thinks my hairline is low and I look good? Does anyone else often get compared to a bald guy with SMP?
  • HIS - Ed likes this

#2 willgreen

willgreen

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Locationsweden

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:56 AM

Oh god yeah. All the time. At one stage I was convinced my smp was invisible and only I could see it. But comments since have suggested people can see it. My students continue to compare me to every Norwood seven imaginable. I've just learnt to tolerate it. People are ignorant
  • HIS - Ed and Asianguy like this

#3 willgreen

willgreen

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Locationsweden

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:01 AM

Here's ab example if a conversation at Christmas party. One girl says something about guys going bald. Other girl looks at me laughs and says "isn't that right will." Then the other girl says " no. Looks like will can grow hair. I don't think he even has bald patches." I left feeling very very confused. Why did one girl think i was Norwood seven bald and another see the shaved head. I don't understand. It is what it is.

#4 willgreen

willgreen

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Locationsweden

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:04 AM

Here's ab example if a conversation at Christmas party. One girl says something about guys going bald. Other girl looks at me laughs and says "isn't that right will." Then the other girl says " no. Looks like will can grow hair. I don't think he even has bald patches." I left feeling very very confused. Why did one girl think i was Norwood seven bald and another see the shaved head. I don't understand. Another male bald teacher also always jokes that we have the same hair also. Even though he is Norwood Seven and comments to others that we are in the same club. It is what it is.

#5 bobobaldy

bobobaldy

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Locationglasgow

Posted 07 May 2017 - 01:30 PM

Most woman are pretty clueless about male pattern baldness and don't really differentiate between shaved and bald. I worked with a woman who was saying her father was going bald, but just at the top.. she thought guys who shaved went bald all over.
However I'm also sure if same woman were to rate attractiveness on first sight and saw a n7 per and post mht there would be a significant difference, but if asked it would probably be explained as nicer eyes or smile or something.
  • iHAIR likes this

#6 Asianguy

Asianguy

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:12 PM

Oh god yeah. All the time. At one stage I was convinced my smp was invisible and only I could see it. But comments since have suggested people can see it. My students continue to compare me to every Norwood seven imaginable. I've just learnt to tolerate it. People are ignorant

What do you mean see it? Are you saying you think they know it's SMP?

#7 checkingthisout

checkingthisout

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:21 PM

No, he meant maybe all they could see was skin on scalp, nothing else.

#8 sbtd

sbtd

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:17 AM

There will always be people who do not distinguish between the two.  I remember Adam Levine got so fed up with people calling him bald he actually went on a twitter rant.  Something to the effect of "I'm not bald!  I shaved my head!  It will grow back."  To his credit he did shave it again the next year despite all the crap he got for it.

• HIS - Ed likes this

#9 vinnydiesel

vinnydiesel

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 08 May 2017 - 02:16 AM

This happens all the time man - relax.  I remember telling my sister a couple of years ago about SMP, and that I would consider it.  She's like but why? I point out the horseshoe on my head, and she's like pffft it's not even noticeable (she's wrong - it's totally noticeable).  Now that it's been over a year since I've gotten it, none of my family even realized that I got something done, as they literally thought I"m growing my hair.  

The other day, one of my chick coworker whom I've worked closely with for almost two years, asked me if I shave my head because I'm balding or because I like it.  I asked her "what do YOU think?" and she responded with "I think you do it because you want to".  Like see, they can't tell what's considered balding, so they just associate someone who shaves his head to be due to hair loss.  

Seriously - don't let comments like this bug you, because truth be told, it won't be the last.  

• Josh2.0 and HIS - Ed like this

#10 Shai

Shai

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:14 AM

POPULAR

Yep. I do.
Did my SMP about 4.5 years ago. Prior to that, we were three dark haired Norwood-7-colleagues in the company where I work. When we stood together for a chat and someone passed us, the comments were «Look, the triplets» or «Hi triplets» or «Hard to distinguish you from each other». And, as we didn’t have any problem with being bald, we also made jokes about our and other’s bald heads.

After having done my SMP, the comments and jokes went on exactly the same way. For my surrounding I was still a part of the triplets and I was still allowed to make jokes about bald heads without being criticized.
At the beginning I was confused and a bit irritated. Then I started to make some tests. When I had the opportunity I talked about hair transplant, hair pieces, wigs etc. but nobody ever mentioned anything, on the contrary, everybody was very sympathetic. It was surreal.

Finally I decided to take it as a compliment for HIS’s excellent work, which is definitely NOT detectable (in my case).

The opposite (detection of the SMP) would have been a serious problem for me. So all good at the end and I’m still happy having it done!
  • iHAIR, HIS - Ed and vinnydiesel like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users