4 replies to this topic

#1 noircat23

noircat23

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationBuffalo

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:33 PM

How do people handle going into pools or going to the beach?  Are you slapping on a ton of sunscreen or wearing a hat in the pool?  I really would like to ditch my ballcap but sun exposure seems to be a real problem.  Any thoughts?

#2 vinnydiesel

vinnydiesel

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:20 AM

Two things to consider: 

1) Pool :Sun & Chlorine. 

- Be sure to apply SPF30 (preferably higher), waterproof sunscreen/sunblock often if you're planning on spending time in a pool

- Chlorine is a contributor to fading, but again unless you're bathing your head in it for hours all the time, it shouldn't be much of a concern but just keep it on the top of your head (pun intended) 

2) Beach: Sun

- Same as above, apply waterproof sunscreen/sunblock frequently 

My 3rd session was done end of April 2016, and I went to Cuba for 7 days at the beginning of June 2016.  I did the above and experienced no fading, and I spend most of my time under the sun, in the pool and in the ocean.  Even without SMP, however, I do give my scalp and the rest of my body some relief from the sun from time to time.  This is a good practice regardless.  

#3 noircat23

noircat23

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationBuffalo

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:23 PM

Thanks!  I've seen conflicting reports in this forum.  Some are concerned walking to their car from work and at least one person has gotten a pretty deep tan after SMP.  Glad to hear you were about to enjoy the hot Cuban sun with a little precaution and not experience any fading.  That's what I'm looking for...leaving behind the careful preparation involved hair fibers and avoiding sweating/water.  Tired of caring so much about every hair having to be in exact place to pull of an illusion.

• the bald ego likes this

#4 vinnydiesel

vinnydiesel

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:02 PM

^Totally man.  

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  SMP is not cheap, so it's a financial investment no doubt.  But the intent of SMP isn't to create more anxiety and inconvenience - quite the opposite if you ask me.  I take about as much precaution with my scalp now as I did pre-SMP.  If anything, I don't work as hard at the beach/under the sun to get a tan anymore because I don't need to get my scalp darker to hide my horseshoe! 

• HIS - Ed and the bald ego like this

#5 Lt.Col Kojak Slaphead III

Lt.Col Kojak Slaphead III

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 04:50 PM

I swim quite often and in the 4 years since my treatment was done I've never used protection in a pool and had no fading from it. But I generally swim breast stroke and front crawl without putting my entire head underwater. The sun is another matter however; if swimming somewhere very sunny I would definitely use waterproof SPF 50. Water will amplify the effects of the sun which is why people can tan faster at the beach. 

• HIS - Ed and vinnydiesel like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users