Sign in to follow this  
noircat23

Pool Owners, Beach Vacations?

How do people handle going into pools or going to the beach?  Are you slapping on a ton of sunscreen or wearing a hat in the pool?  I really would like to ditch my ballcap but sun exposure seems to be a real problem.  Any thoughts?

Two things to consider: 

1) Pool :Sun & Chlorine. 

- Be sure to apply SPF30 (preferably higher), waterproof sunscreen/sunblock often if you're planning on spending time in a pool

- Chlorine is a contributor to fading, but again unless you're bathing your head in it for hours all the time, it shouldn't be much of a concern but just keep it on the top of your head (pun intended) 

2) Beach: Sun

- Same as above, apply waterproof sunscreen/sunblock frequently 

My 3rd session was done end of April 2016, and I went to Cuba for 7 days at the beginning of June 2016.  I did the above and experienced no fading, and I spend most of my time under the sun, in the pool and in the ocean.  Even without SMP, however, I do give my scalp and the rest of my body some relief from the sun from time to time.  This is a good practice regardless.  

Thanks!  I've seen conflicting reports in this forum.  Some are concerned walking to their car from work and at least one person has gotten a pretty deep tan after SMP.  Glad to hear you were about to enjoy the hot Cuban sun with a little precaution and not experience any fading.  That's what I'm looking for...leaving behind the careful preparation involved hair fibers and avoiding sweating/water.  Tired of caring so much about every hair having to be in exact place to pull of an illusion.

^Totally man.  

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  SMP is not cheap, so it's a financial investment no doubt.  But the intent of SMP isn't to create more anxiety and inconvenience - quite the opposite if you ask me.  I take about as much precaution with my scalp now as I did pre-SMP.  If anything, I don't work as hard at the beach/under the sun to get a tan anymore because I don't need to get my scalp darker to hide my horseshoe! 

I swim quite often and in the 4 years since my treatment was done I've never used protection in a pool and had no fading from it. But I generally swim breast stroke and front crawl without putting my entire head underwater. The sun is another matter however; if swimming somewhere very sunny I would definitely use waterproof SPF 50. Water will amplify the effects of the sun which is why people can tan faster at the beach.