Sign in to follow this  
Shai

SMP protection - Nine-to-five lifestyle and sun care routine

To use a very high SPF when doing outdoor activities is obvious.

But I’m a bit insecure and clueless when it comes to the day-to-day office life.

I already asked skin medicines and pharmacists and got answers from “of course not” to “absolutely”.

When going to work: direct connection apartment - garage. At work the walking distance from the car parking to the entrance takes 1 minute.

For lunch, if we do not have something delivered, again 1 minute to the car parking, the 5 minutes (at most) from car parking to a shop or restaurant, then same time expenditure for going back to the office.

In the evening again minute from the office to the car parking.

Time outside is very limited. Is there any need of sunscreen for the above explained routine to protect the SMP? AND, to keep up the efficacy of the sunscreen it should be applied several times during the course of the day, which is really annoying, when one is at work.

Anyone with a similar routine, who would share his experience, ideas and views? Thanks and cheers.

... it rather depends where you are. A friend was on holiday in Hawaii and the resort had a chap whose job it was to advise residents on coping with the sun. He told my friend that due to his fair skin his estimated "burn time" was four minutes. So a hat and a liberal coating of zinc oxide was needed just to go to the poolside bar. 

Thank you for your feedback!

To put on a sunscreen every morning is not a big deal. The problem ist to reapply it every two or three hours to maintain the effect. Unfortunately the sunscreen, which protects the whole day with only one application has not yet been "invented".

Thank you for your feedback!

To put on a sunscreen every morning is not a big deal. The problem ist to reapply it every two or three hours to maintain the effect. Unfortunately the sunscreen, which protects the whole day with only one application has not yet been "invented".

I agree, quite the conundrum. I have no problem with the regular reapplications while going about my day, my concern is repetitively putting on sunscreen laden with chemicals of which I have no clue If they cause long term damage to SMP. While it's wise to say away from sunscreens with alcohol, who knows what other ingredients will prematurely fade/effect SMP long term. This concern causes me to wear hats more often than not even on short jaunts outside as opposed to sunscreen. I use a rub-in zinc oxide when I do use sunscreen as the ingredient list seems somewhat innocuous (no alcohol), but really I have no clue and since it is rub in, thus my scalp is absorbing it and possibly effecting the SMP.

Hopefully as SMP becomes more popular (boo for us pioneers), a product will be developed that protects from the sun and is proven not to affect SMP.