#1 JayCee

JayCee

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:00 PM

Hey guys,

After loosing my hair since the age of 16 and never imagining that at the age of 41 that I would be able to regain a hairline, I paid my deposit for my SMP first session to happen in Birmingham at the end of next week !

I am CRAZY excited and honestly can't wait for the day to come! My second session is booked for the week after.

One thing that seems to be agreed is that the shorter my natural hair is (sides and some at back), the better the transition between the areas will be. For years I've used clippers without any guard and have fairly light coloured hair, but it still leaves it a reasonable length that I can feel.

Am I better going for an electric shaver and if so any recommendations ? I don't mind wet shaving but use a vintage DE razor for my face so - guess I'm less likely to nick myself with the first option !

Cheers,

Jay :)
  • The equaliser likes this

#2 dasher

dasher

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Locationbirmingham

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:03 PM

In my opinion rotary electric mate. Wet shaving leaves my SMP really shiny. Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
  • JayCee likes this

#3 the bald ego

the bald ego

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:20 AM

I've never wet shaved since SMP – too much of a nuisance, and the look is too severe. I bought a Phillips wet/dry rotary first, and used it for a couple of months. But then I listened to many recommendations on here and tried the Braun wet/dry which ended up working much better for me. It shaves closer, faster, and with far less effort. I was able to return the Norelco rotary.
  • JayCee likes this
>> Simulated hairline.

#4 JayCee

JayCee

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:14 AM

Thanks guys .... The last shaver I bought was quite a few years ago - a Philips Philishave HS8460 Coolskin with Refill & Charge Station. I still had it in the cupboard so have pulled it out this morning and it works it works perfectly still. I gave up on it because it was rubbish on my face and took an eternity - it just wasn't worth even trying to shave with it. Just for the heck of it I tried it on my face again and it was the same - useless lol. I wondered whether it would be good enough for my head though so decided to give it a go. For more years than I can remember I've used clippers without a guard, but never in my life have I actually shaved it completely smooth. I guess it's always been that psychological thing that having just a tiny bit of growth makes me fell like I'm at least not entirely bald. Who was I trying to kid lol !! I know it's 10 days until my first session, but figured that if I'm going to have to go smooth for the treatment (and after) I might as well bite the bullet and start now. So I did a last pass with the clippers and tried the Philips on it. The electric razor (although useless for my face) works fantastically on my head - it's a stunning shave ! What's more, I actually love the feeling of it being uniform all over my head rather than smooth (ish) on the top and the rest a horseshoe. It's made me even more excited now as it looks way better uniform and with my new "hair" I just can't imagine how I am going to feel after so many years. One thing that has actually made me think though, is what remains of my hair is now barely visible - I can hardly notice the follicles at all. a604b8340922c13d89b65a0175545524.jpg Does this mean that the clinic would treat it as if I was completely bald and I would effectively start with a blank canvas rather than sticking with what remains ? I know the clinic will set me straight on everything on the day and make sure it's all fine - I'm just curious to know what u guys think. Hope that all makes some sort of sense lol (and sorry for all the questions!) Cheers, Jay :)
  • HIS - Ed likes this

#5 2hanger

2hanger

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:54 AM

Hi JayCee, 

Upload some pics of when your first session settles buddy! best of wishes!  :)  exciting times ahead!

• JayCee likes this

#6 JayCee

JayCee

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:20 AM

POPULAR

Hi 2hanger,

I will I promise !

I'm so excited and wishing every day would go faster just so I can get the first session done ! Even sat last night dreaming that they would call and say "we have a cancellation" get your a$$ in the car ! LOL

I guess like many guys I just HATE having my photo taken .... I always have, as I lost my hair when I was in my early teens. It's been hard as for many years I worked as a professional musician, so was on stage and had years of cameras taking pictures for band and promo shoots. I always wore dark shades on stage (even in the winter LMAO) because I just hated how I looked and it was a way of hiding I guess.

It's only since I have realised there is a solution, that I have grown to accept how much it really has affected me over the years .... the result of years of taunting by people that know me. Being nicknamed everything from the standard Kojak back in my teens, to Dobby the House-elf thanks to Harry Potter and my nephews. To be fair, people that don't know me have never commented about my hair - just because with a bald head I look like a thug LOL.

It's such an exciting time for me, as it geniunly feels like I'm turning my life around. I've now lost 4.5 stone and work out 3 times a week with a personal trainer at the gym (who I am sure is trying to kill me). It feels like I'm on one of those transform yourself TV shows !

I'm not confident about posting my proper full before pic yet, but once my confidence gets better I will post an after - and a before pic at the same time. Kind of a goodbye to the old me pic! Hell, I might even send you one of me with no hair looking like the Staypuff man LMAO.

Cheers,

Jay :)

• 2hanger, Josh2.0 and HIS - Ed like this

#7 Josh2.0

Josh2.0

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:44 PM

good luck jay! looking forward to seeing the results.  I'm sure your gonna love it.

• HIS - Ed and JayCee like this

"People stare at my head because they like what they see"

George Costanza

#8 Franageskou

Franageskou

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationLincoln

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:32 PM

POPULAR

You will love your new look mate,it's such a great feeling looking in the mirror(which you will do a lot)As for shavers I use the Braun series 7 foil shaver
I found the foil shaver a cleaner shave than the rotary shavers, also the rotary shaver I found it left my head a bit red for a while because you have to really make it work, but I do have thick hair.
Good luck, not that you will need it at all.
  • HIS - Ed, the bald ego and JayCee like this

#9 Spinner

Spinner

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:41 PM

I think you will be so happy . You'll be fine at brum they are so good
  • HIS - Ed and JayCee like this

#10 JayCee

JayCee

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:08 PM

Hey guys ! Well it's time for session 1 ! Just had a sudden thought tho .... is it ok for me to wet shave in the morning before heading to the clinic ? I was thinking if I had a decent wet shave like normal, that it would give me the most amount of time before it started to look weird lol. I should have asked .... not sure whether they need more stubble than a wet shave to gauge where hair is etc ? Cheers, Jay :)

#11 HIS - Ed

HIS - Ed

HIS Staff

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:30 PM

Entirely up to you. They will shave you on arrival if you choose to leave it altogether but they will still be able to see the follicles and blend their work into them if you shave on the morning.

All the best!!!

• JayCee likes this

#12 JayCee

JayCee

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:32 PM

That's brill thanks Ed ..... just prefer to be super smooth shaved if I'm not going to be able to shave for a few days that's all ! Cheers, Jay :)
  • HIS - Ed likes this

#13 HIS - Ed

HIS - Ed

HIS Staff

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:34 PM

Makes sense to me. Shave in the morning then. Whistle while you do it. Something cheery to get you in the mood for what will be an exciting day.

• JayCee likes this

#14 JayCee

JayCee

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:15 AM

Hey guys ..... so first session done !!! The whole experience was amazing - thankyou HISHair and thankyou to my incredible practitioner ! Update on wet shaving before session one ..... Although it seems that for most people wet shaving is fine before the first session, it turned out to be a bad plan for my head. My hair is fine and light coloured - so after wet shaving it literally gave the practitioner very little to gauge colour matching and boundary definition for blending areas. As a result it was decided to go with quite a light tone for the first session to play things very safe. On my next session I will let my hair grow out some, to help them dial in perfectly with what is best. Having said that .... even with a light tone I was stunned with the results. I could have cried looking in the mirror afterwards. The session wasn't really painful at all, although accept that it isn't pain free and that for some it may be a little uncomfortable - but nothing unbearable in the slightest. It was odd for me, as for whatever strange reason (my head is wired up wrong I think), I actually found some areas on my head made me smile and laugh - must be a ticklish type thing ! The whole process was easy and seemed to pass really quickly. Afterwards my head didn't feel sore - maybe a little like it had caught the sun but nothing too bad. On the way back from the clinic, I stopped at the services petrol station and grabbed some food - I didn't feel out of place or conscious about my head it was settling already, so literally walked straight into the shop with no hat or anything. By 3-4 hours after the session, my head was so normal that I went to a Harvester restaurant and didn't feel conscious of my head in the slightest - no one could know at all it was so natural and without any redness - RESULT!! As I say it's noticeable to me that I have "hair" but it's still VERY mild in terms of the density and pigmentation depth. The follicle dots are slightly larger still - so know that as they settle it will probably be even less visible but it's all part of the plan! I just can't wait for the second treatment when it will go darker and denser !! I think I will also ask for a lower hairline too as it's a little high at the moment I think. Yay !! Cheers, Jay :)
  • HIS - Ed and the bald ego like this

#15 JayCee

JayCee

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 February 2017 - 09:17 AM

Really sorry for the quality of some of the pics but here's a couple: Before 99f842135a1c2d87107eb58e8a2a8962.jpg After 65dac80a38b9c0c56db9c4f22ba71676.jpg

#16 the bald ego

the bald ego

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:44 PM

POPULAR

Glad things went well for you, Jay!

Your experience with wet shaving might prove to be very helpful advice to others in the future.
  • HIS - Ed, JayCee and Leonmx like this
>> Simulated hairline.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users