30 replies to this topic

#1 Ashp18

Ashp18

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 29 October 2016 - 06:14 AM

Quick question guys, which foil or rotary shaver is best?

#2 JurgenKloppSaviour

JurgenKloppSaviour

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 29 October 2016 - 12:14 PM

The rotary Remington R95 seems to be a popular one on this site.  It was okay and used it here and then however I found it to be patchy and a bit too aggressive for the scalp redding it up - it could have been just the way I was applying pressure to get down to the growth.  I had been wet shaving for a long period of time but then switched to the Braun 7 foil shaver which has been my daily go to now and love it.  It's a little pricey but pays itself off considering you're saving expensive blade replacements. Grabbed one for ~$250 Canadian dollars which is approximately 150 quid or thereabouts.

I'm very finicky with my head and tried different methods and landed on the foil shaver being the way to go.  Hope this helps.  P.S. I see you're from Manchester. Who says a Scouser can't get along with a Manc LOL

• HIS - Ed likes this

#3 Dr Mach 3

Dr Mach 3

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted 29 October 2016 - 07:00 PM

Foil everytime mate cuts shorter if u feel stubble its not short enough, this treatment looks best completely smooth as the dots r under the skin and longer than against the grain u can see a difference, foil everytime
  • HIS - Ed likes this

#4 Ashp18

Ashp18

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 29 October 2016 - 08:06 PM

North Wales me mate, life long Everton fan, had my first session today went well I think still red so hard to tell how it will look in a few days, back in next Friday for round 2 can't wait I'm already well pleased with it just having a hair line again when I look in the mirror feels great
  • HIS - Ed and the bald ego like this

#5 JurgenKloppSaviour

JurgenKloppSaviour

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:42 PM

POPULAR

North Wales me mate, life long Everton fan, had my first session today went well I think still red so hard to tell how it will look in a few days, back in next Friday for round 2 can't wait I'm already well pleased with it just having a hair line again when I look in the mirror feels great

Sounds clichy, but after the second session settles, that's when you're going to really feel giddy.  I know i felt like a million dollars (Canadian dollars) the night I went home after my first session, red and all but just so happy to see a hairline and real looking follicles.  You're going to be happy...trust me...I'm over critical on most things, however, SMP has been one of the best products/services I've purchased and hoping the quality is sustained over years to come.

• dasher, HIS - Ed and Beast like this

#6 Cutlass18

Cutlass18

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 November 2016 - 09:18 AM

Foil Shaver is best

I think Rotary sucks

I had the Remington R91? I think it was

Cut up my back neck like a cat attacked me!

Threw it in the trash immediately

Didn't cut my head...but for some reason cut up back neck like you wouldn't believe...and I didn't even use any pressure on it??

Just caught my skin like crazy..and cut it up REAL good

Shouldve taken a pic for poof

Someone else on here had a pic of the exact same thing and shaver

But lots of other people like it

Its hard finding a good foil shaver nowadays though

And one that isnt battery powered (cordless)...the cord type is the best...full power all the time

The $hit batteries outta China are pure garbage

Almost every cordless device sucks nowadays

My foil shaver is a Braun..but its like 15 yrs old and still going

I would just warn you against the WAHL 5 Star Shaver...bought that recently...aint worth much

Nice and lightweight...simple rectangular shape is nice to grip...not expensive...VERY powerful, but also VERY noisy

And works with or without the cord

And dual foils/cutters

BUUUTTTTTT the foils suck hard!

Theyre too thin..and not strong enough for daily shaving

ZERO pressure can be applied?? Which is impossible when wanting a close shave on ur head!

They wont warranty any replacement foils whatsoever...I tried twice

The foils crack or the plastic lil welds shear off that hold the thin foil in place;S...in about a month of daily use

And they cost like $35 bucks CAN$ to replace

That would be $35/month, ha

Fu&k that!

• HIS - Ed likes this

#7 the bald ego

the bald ego

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 02 November 2016 - 05:05 PM

Cutlass, your posts are all like poetry! Great reads. ๐Ÿ‘
  • HIS - Ed and Dr Mach 3 like this
>> Simulated hairline.

#8 Beast

Beast

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:41 PM

just bought a Panasonic foil type today, my use of a rotary headed Philips may explain the redness around my transplant scars.  So far a great close shave using minimal pressure against my skull. With the rotary I used to have apply pressure to get a close shave.

Edit, second day with the foil and it blows the rotary out of the water, minimal pressure and a very close clean shave.

• HIS - Ed and JurgenKloppSaviour like this

#9 SumitaSofat

SumitaSofat

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationDelhi

Posted 09 November 2016 - 11:51 AM

According to me foil shave is much better.

• JurgenKloppSaviour likes this

#10 S_R

S_R

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 13 November 2016 - 06:36 PM

Braun Waterflex. Awesome product.

As is Phillips one blade - if you want some stubble left. Assuming you still have some that grows.
  • HIS - Ed likes this

#11 Ashp18

Ashp18

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:03 PM

Has anyone tried any of the braun 3 series? If so which model is best

#12 Dr Mach 3

Dr Mach 3

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted 10 December 2016 - 09:23 PM

I've got braun series 3 wet and dry the cheaper one about 50 pound its brilliant had it for months cuts smooth in every direction well worth geting, I've had about 5 different shavers and this is a different league.

#13 bobobaldy

bobobaldy

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Locationglasgow

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:13 PM

Should Dr Mach 3 not change his name to Dr Braun 3 ?
  • Dr Mach 3 and the bald ego like this

#14 the bald ego

the bald ego

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:56 AM

Bought myself a Braun last night at Costco, although I had just picked up a Norelco right after my SMP.

To all of you who kept hammering about the Braun, thanks! It's a real workhorse, and lightyears ahead of Norelco (which will be going back to Costco). Hands-down the best.

FYI, the model Braun is the 740-S Wet/Dry, currently with a $35 instant rebate including an additional head replacement.
  • HIS - Ed likes this
>> Simulated hairline.

#15 Haleyed

Haleyed

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Posted 18 December 2016 - 07:12 PM

Foil. They also cause less irritation.

the one i got recommended was the panasonic arc 5. it's not great for the face but the head is HUGE so it covers a wide space. My head is shaved down in 2-3 minutes.

It's expensive but I think of it like buying an expensive car. We spend alot of money on it so why go cheap when it comes to maintenance? 

https://www.amazon.c...panasonic arc 5

• HIS - Ed likes this

#16 MeanTimeMaster

MeanTimeMaster

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:41 PM

Any new updates or opinions to the best rotary? I take the plunge tomorrow!!!!! ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

#17 Searchingforsolution

Searchingforsolution

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:16 PM

Where are you getting your work done at MeanTimeMaster?

#18 HIS - Ed

HIS - Ed

HIS Staff

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 10 March 2017 - 06:24 PM

His location says LA. So it will be LA HIS Hair Clinic. At least if it isn't he should not be here, and wouldn't be able to reply to your question without getting himself instantly banned in any case. There are some rules. :0)

Where are you getting your work done at MeanTimeMaster?

#19 MeanTimeMaster

MeanTimeMaster

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:17 AM

First session is done and in the books and boy do i feel amazing!!! I am having my work done at the LA clinic by Mr X. He is a true artist at his craft and in all around great person. I am so happy after my first session and i can't wait for my second. So to keep the convo going i need to pass by and pick up a foil shaver tomorrow and also some lotion for the scalp. Any recommendations on both products will be very appreciated. I will start up a post with pics soon so stay tuned!!

#20 the bald ego

the bald ego

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:26 PM

Any recommendations on [shaver and lotion] will be very appreciated.

You'll find that those are two of the most-often asked questions in numerous threads about SMP. A search of threads that have been specifically dedicated to those twin subjects will probably get you more complete answers than you'll get here.

My short answers:

(1) I tried a Panasonic foil shaver and a Norelco rotary before switching to a Braun. The Braun is the only one of the three that I find gives an excellent and comfortable shave, and I continue to be very pleased with it after several months of use. The others required considerable more time and patience, and couldn't come close to achieving the finished result that the Braun does.

(2) Any alcohol-free lotion should work. I use apple cider vinegar on my scalp, and occasionally a natural coconut-oil based lotion.

*** Congratulations! My SMP was done at the same clinic by your same personable and masterful magician. ***
>> Simulated hairline.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users