#1 NonDescript

NonDescript

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:04 PM

POPULAR

To our follicle-challenged brothers who can't seem to decide because of the nagging question "will it be natural enough that I won't be called out?"....  Read on.

Day 2 of session 1:

My head was still raw from all the needle pokes.  On the dining table with the family, we were all about two to four feet apart.  My niece commented, "Your head looks reddish."  (I think she said reddish or irritated, I forgot.)  Everybody glanced at me.  My balls went up my throat.  I just said, "I ran out of razor blades, I used a dull one."  She nonchalantly said, "Oh."  And everybody carried on with the interrupted topic and eating.

Day 4 of session 2:

First day back to work...

One person commented in the passing, "How was your vacation?  You looked refreshed.".  

One guy's eyes wandered to my scalp briefly, but didn't say a thing just carried on with the trivial Monday blah-blah-blah.   

Third comment of the day, from a colleague I've worked with for years as I grew balder and balder.  He glanced at my head. "You keep shaving your head, man, let it grow, skinhead is so 90's."   Then walked away.  I wanted to hug him from behind but I don't like the idea of getting punched in the face.  Haha.

Facebook video chat with my wife.  First time with lights turned up to bright.  She's on an extended vacation.  "Aunt Liddy sends her regards.  Did you have to work overtime?  (Squinted on the webcam)  Oh, you did not shave your head today?  How's Gumby [our cat] doing?  Are you watering my plants?  Have you finally disposed of the old armoire?"  Yeah, my beloved wife is a motormouth. LOL.  We've been married for 13 years.  Granted her view was through a webcam, but this is a woman who ran her fingers on my scalp a thousand times.  "You didn't shave your head today" she said after seeing imitation stubbles on my scalp.  

Day 5 of session 2:

Had a casual meeting with the boss.  He knew all along I was bald (well, still am bald but excuse me if I tend to use bald in past tense now.  Hehehe.)  That man insensitively commented on my baldness on a few occasions.  When he assigned me tough projects he would say, "Pulling your hair already?  Oops, sorry, nothing to pull."  Politically incorrect but I tease him back a lot about his beer belly so we're even.  Anyways, he said to me, "Fall is around the corner.  You're growing your hair back?  Tired of toques?".

Day 6 of session 2 (Today) :

Swiss Chalet lunch with a friend of 7-8 years.  Midway through lunch she said, "You should always cut your hair like that -- if you don't want to grow it long shave the sides close and leave stubbles on top, that way the thinning is not noticeable."   I said, "Yeah?"  She said, "Yeah.  Looks neat too."  I thought to myself, "Thinning top?  WTF?  I have no top!  You knew this!  You've known this for years!!!"  

What kind of sorcery is this?  I gotta go through the fine prints, maybe I unknowingly sold my soul to the devil.  ;-)

[ Pics to follow ]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(HIS is the gold standard in SMP. The Toronto clinic practitioner paints scalps like Michaelangelo.  Thanks to VinnyDiesel and The Bald Ego for the reassuring words and helpful tips during the emotional roller coaster.  You were right, gentlemen, the issues were "IN" my head, not "ON".  Gracias, Señores!)

• hairhair98, Alec Baldwin, MrOnTheFence and 10 others like this

The bald shall inherit the earth.

#2 Neo

Neo

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:11 PM

I'd like to see some photos of before and after
I'm still trying to grow a pair to get it done
  • HIS - Ed likes this

#3 NonDescript

NonDescript

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:20 PM

Will do. You already have "the pair" to get it done, you just have to trust them. LOL. ;-)
  • HIS - Ed likes this

#4 Gandalfsbanger

Gandalfsbanger

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationUnder a hat

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:21 PM

POPULAR

Great post, NonDescript.

I think your anecdotes just goes to show that people are far too concerned with their own lives and their own looks to count the follicles on your head, and to save the results in their memory.  It seems the only people who smell a rat, so to speak, are the other follicly-challenged people.

• Alec Baldwin, dasher and HIS - Ed like this

#5 Neo

Neo

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:28 PM

I wish I did mate it's not about money it's just the drastic change

#6 Spinner

Spinner

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:47 PM

POPULAR

Maybe they think why does he shave off a full head of hair. I just know I've got one life and I'm living none of it with a horseshoe haircut
  • Alec Baldwin, HIS - Ed, Cutlass18 and 2 others like this

#7 Neo

Neo

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:52 PM

Very true my friend!

#8 Spinner

Spinner

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:52 PM

I think if you do it you'll be so glad . If you had a subtle treatment it might not be so drastic but you'll feel so much better
  • HIS - Ed likes this

#9 Neo

Neo

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:54 PM

The main part is getting found out I've had the treatment but totally agree with you

#10 Neo

Neo

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:55 PM

So you've had it done?

#11 Spinner

Spinner

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:03 PM

Yes I've had it done and I'm so glad I did
  • HIS - Ed likes this

#12 Neo

Neo

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:11 PM

Ok

#13 the bald ego

the bald ego

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:16 PM

Thanks to VinnyDiesel and The Bald Ego for the reassuring words and helpful tips during the emotional roller coaster. You were right, gentlemen, the issues were "IN" my head, not "ON". Gracias, Señores!)

Hey NonDescript, your brilliant post made my day.

Very happy for you. You're welcome, of course!
  • HIS - Ed likes this
>> Simulated hairline.

#14 vinnydiesel

vinnydiesel

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:21 PM

All good buddy.....always glad to help! 

• HIS - Ed likes this

#15 Gandalfsbanger

Gandalfsbanger

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationUnder a hat

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:47 PM

POPULAR

I wish I did mate it's not about money it's just the drastic change

What is your hair style like now?  I started at around 17 with the hairline going backwards.  It was fine for a while, but gradually I worried more and more about it.  Then crown started thinning and I didn't want to be 'that' guy,  so I shaved off to like a 3, then down to a 2, then 1, then a 0.  Yesterday, I shaved to the bone and I really liked the feeling of it.  Plus I wanted to get used to the look before I actually have the SMP done.

The main part is getting found out I've had the treatment but totally agree with you

My attitude towards this is "so what?".  Women (and some men) wear make-up every day to make them look and feel better, people have plastic surgery done to "correct" features they aren't happy with.  Doing something to make you look and/or feel better is nothing to be ashamed of.  If you are open about it, people will perceive you as being a confident person.  The good news for you is that I have yet to come across a single case of a person being confronted, if you will, about having the SMP done.  Provided you don't go over-the-top, and maintain the hair that you do have, it seems the illusion should fool everyone but your fellow Baldonians.

• HIS - Ed, tt98 and rd7 like this

#16 NonDescript

NonDescript

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 22 September 2016 - 01:12 AM

...  goes to show that people are far too concerned with their own lives and their own looks to count the follicles on your head, and to save the results in their memory. 

True, brother.  However, it weren't just the casual Johns and Marys and Peters who greet me with 'hi, good morning, have a nice day' on the elevator or the coffee station.  Three or four of them were people close to me at work, one was a family member, and ... my wife!  That was what blew me away.   

I have a theory.  See, I wet shave or zero clipper my head for years.  The longest I kept my hair was two days after wet shaving.  I was never, or very rarely, seen with a thick horseshoe.  So, the common reaction was I am finally letting my head grow some stubble.  No doubt in my mind that I would be found out instantly if folks were used to seeing me looking like Cheech Marin for so long, then one day I showed up with closely shaved sides and dark top.

• HIS - Ed and Gandalfsbanger like this

#17 Cutlass18

Cutlass18

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:10 AM

This is for "Neo"...his 1st post on this thread...

They offer a temporary SMP, eh

Super light shade of ink

I think its like a #50 shade..or maybe higher?

#2 or #0 being the absolute darkest you can go...which is very rare I think

Most people are around #20 - #10?

Depending on race/skin tone

So getting a #50 will only stay dark for just a lil while...then basically fade to nothing/super super light grey

Call them and ask about it

Don't know the exact details

It will give you a good chance to stare at urself in the mirror for a lil while...and see if you like it...yet not permament

I just assume the cost is the same...or close to it...cause its still the exact same work being done in lets say an average 2 hr session??

So if ya got some extra cash to burn...try that route maybe...pay for 1 session...might rid you of your doubts

I think youll be a believer after just the 1st session

The dots look dark and big at first...but fade and shrink to nice small dots

Just tell them you want nice small dots and a natural hairline...and you cant go wrong

Everything after that can be tweaked to your liking (lil lower hairline, more density, darker shades)

Just easy does it...best advice

Better to go easy and maybe have to end up paying for an extra session...than going too dense and too dark in one sitting;S you wont like it!

And it might look fake (too dense, too sharp of hairline, too dark, etc)

But even if that happens...there are ways to fade it slighty

Sun exposure/tanning beds, creams with alcohol in them, swimming in chlorinated water, etc

So fading a shade or two aint that big of a deal either

You don't always have to panic and run straight to the laser clinic

It fades naturally over the first few months anyways...so be patient as well...but I know its hard to be!

• Neo likes this

#18 HonestDiscussion (HD)

HonestDiscussion (HD)

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:25 AM

The longest I kept my hair was two days after wet shaving. I was never, or very rarely, seen with a thick horseshoe. So, the common reaction was I am finally letting my head grow some stubble.

This proves my point that it doesn't match a fresh wet shave. AT BEST I think you can hope to match 12 to 16 hours growth. Also when it looks like you're "growing some stubble"and you have nothing on top it's a disaster when a female rubs your head and puts two and two together. I understand this isn't a deal breaker for many people and they would rather deal with this than not get it done. That's cool. I really hope you get great treatments. As far as guys wearing makeup I don't know about that. I don't know what kind of guys you're talking about. Anyhow the cure for baldness has been found. It's official. A Japanese doctor and some other big names have it figured out. Human trials start in 2018 and hopefully by 2020 people can start to fork out the cash for it. Google if you don't believe me. I've been hitting the gym super hard and got my head tan so the contrast isn't that bad with a wet shave. I still haven't ruled this treatment out but it's gone down to about 20 percent. Mainly because I don't want a stubble look but want to match a completely fresh wet shaved look. Positive vibes to all those getting a treatment or looking to get a treatment. Also to those who have gotten a treatment. I truly hope you received the results you were looking for. I have seen some great pictures on here. God bless everyone.

#19 rd7

rd7

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:12 PM

Is the reason that SMP isn't advertised on TV etc like transplants because they want to keep it sort of a secret for the benefit of people who got the treatment?

The more common knowledge it is that this treatment is available, the more the general public will look at skinheads and question if it's shaved hair or SMP.

Would I be right in thinking this?

#20 rd7

rd7

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationNorthern Ireland

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:13 PM

Also great story NonDescript. U posting some pics?

• HIS - Ed likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users