#1 the bald ego

the bald ego

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:22 AM

This is my SMP "final result" diary. I closed my first diary, in order to give a more thoughtful account of my experience.

I first heard about SMP less than two months ago. Like many others, I spent many days reading up and watching YouTube in amazement. Still, I doubted that it could work for me.

First of all, I'm 62. I started balding at 17, and was a Norwood 7 within 10 years. At 37, I tried a good hair "system" for a year, but it was a nuisance and made me feel fake. After that, I started shaving/buzzing my hair, which is now mostly gray.

I called a premier SMP competitor in New York, and asked who on the West Coast does the best SMP work. He gave me the name of my soon-to-be practitioner at HIS in Los Angeles, with the warning, "In your part of the country, do not use ANYONE ELSE." Okay, got it.

I had a phone consult, due simply to the driving distance from San Diego to Los Angeles. I booked my sessions right then for July 12 & 20, and August 20.

Sessions (Hours):
#1 (4.0) – Hairline and pigmentation "trial"
#2 (3.5) – Full-scalp pigment application
#3 (3.0) – Adding density and refinement

Notes: The scalp work was mild; not painful. My first session was the only one which caused significant post-treatment redness. Each session caused mild sinus congestion on the following day. Nothing else unusual or unexpected.

The hardest part of the SMP series was handling my mind's compulsion to want to micromanage my practitioner.

As I write this, it's just one day after my final session. The prior two sessions could never have prepped me for my amazing end result. I still can't believe that it actually came out this great.

Five weeks ago, I was bald, gray, and *looking* 62. SMP has not only changed my appearance to an extreme degree; it has also given me a major incentive to start taking better care of myself in many other ways. I can see that baldness had given me a hopeless attitude of "why bother?" about my appearance and life in general.

I prolly will regret posting these "next-day" post-session pics, scabs and all. Going forward, I plan to be more judicious about what I post, but here's a pair for now, until I heal up...

4bb5249645833d0052034216a4dceed1.jpg
ae95efab5b2c68017e840f9cc6e60a25.jpg

I cannot say enough good things about the expertise and integrity of HIS. Getting my life back is a big deal. Any company with this level of genuine dedication to product quality and customer care is very unique these days.
>> Simulated hairline.

#2 the bald ego

the bald ego

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:37 AM

Here are two more. (Remember, I won't be able to shampoo and shave for another three days.) Plenty of pigment fading/blending still needs to happen. My practitioner says it usually will take six weeks for everything to "settle in."

3863fc4a676c6df9a38ef8c33ce07717.jpg
98be51936a353e840059f59a5ee44f4e.jpg
  • hairhair98 and Josh2.0 like this
>> Simulated hairline.

#3 Earleandre

Earleandre

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:27 AM

My gawd! Its looks incredible and you look incredible at 62! I have 3 weeks to go and i cannot sleep knowing my life will change after i complete my sessions. Congrats on going forward with your plan and the outstanding results.
  • HIS - Ed likes this

#4 HonestDiscussion (HD)

HonestDiscussion (HD)

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:55 AM

Definitely will be interested in seeing the final results. Glad you're happy. Congratulations.
  • HIS - Ed and the bald ego like this

#5 Dr Mach 3

Dr Mach 3

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:39 AM

Looks good glad it worked out well no more bald head in the mirror congrats.

#6 HIS - Ed

HIS - Ed

HIS Staff

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:31 AM

Inspirational post, many thanks.

• the bald ego likes this

#7 Haleyed

Haleyed

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:01 PM

Beautiful treatment. Really suits you man. It's not even too receded and looks perfectly natural.

#8 the bald ego

the bald ego

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:52 PM

In case anybody might benefit from seeing the huge impact this can make on one's appearance, here is an actual pic that I submitted for my initial phone consultation. Compare it with the scalp pic above. Life's good again!

77d3d78ce7f340fb352a445310a6ad30.jpg
  • hairhair98 and HIS - Ed like this
>> Simulated hairline.

#9 Miguel

Miguel

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:51 AM

Looks terrific, congrats!

#10 Earleandre

Earleandre

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:55 AM

What type of shaver do you have? Im sorry I cannot find the paper I once wrote on. Thanks.

#11 the bald ego

the bald ego

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:17 AM

What type of shaver do you have?

I got a Norelco wet/dry, recommended by the practitioner. He said don't go for the expensive ones. I got the wet/dry one from Costco because sometimes I like to shave in the shower. It comes with an extra set of heads. Way better than my old Panasonic wet/dry that chewed up my scalp. Would like to try the Braun sometime, although the Norelco seems to be doing a nice job. It's very quiet compared to other razors I've had, holds a long charge, easy to clean, and is comfortable with the floating heads.
  • HIS - Ed likes this
>> Simulated hairline.

#12 Earleandre

Earleandre

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 26 August 2016 - 05:08 PM

Thank you very much!
  • HIS - Ed likes this

#13 OnTheFenceAgain

OnTheFenceAgain

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 28 August 2016 - 12:26 PM

Great transformation tbe. You are a handsome guy to begin with, now you have a full head of hair. And for some strange reason you choose to shave it off!!

#14 the bald ego

the bald ego

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:48 AM

POPULAR

Time flies. Already a week has already passed since my #3, so time for a quick check-in for the interested or curious.

The final effect is phenomenal. It's been a six-week journey from start to finish, which has given me time to thoroughly adjust to the new look. Whenever I pass by a mirror now – something I largely tried to avoid for 40 years – I now see the person I had always hoped to see. I look like 'me' for the first time in my adult life. That is huge.

After a shower/shave on the fourth day after #3, I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw the finished product without excess pigment and scabs. Everything blended; density was correct; hairline was spot-on perfect.

From the time I started SMP until today, I had intentionally been steering clear of all friends and acquaintances unless I wore a hat/cap. Today was my first real test. A good friend since the 1980s invited me for coffee this morning; he was one of only three people whom I had told what I was doing with SMP. He is about a Norwood 7 also, and has been hounding me constantly about when he could see my result. Easily I'd say he's always been an honest and tough critic, with an eye for the best of everything.

I walked in, and my friend immediately blurted out, "Holy crap!" And for the next hour or so, over coffee, he scrutinized the workmanship from every angle, and from near and far. "Dude, it's PERFECT – you can't tell a thing! Totally natural. Nobody would ever know. You look at least 15 years younger, maybe more. I can see the hair follicles; they're real! I'm looking at you from 2 inches away and I swear I wouldn't be able to tell it's not real. That guy did an amazing job on you, I'm not kidding. I'd tell you if I thought it looked fake – it looks exactly like you've got a full head of buzzed hair on top, and faded on the sides. Unbelievable, just effing unbelievable." Etc., etc.

Seeing/hearing my friend's very positive reaction was exactly what I was needing. So, now the fun starts. Time to get back into life *without* my old demon baldness, and with the confidence that I can now pass any inspection without worry.

New pics one day soon.
  • hairhair98, HIS - Ed, OnTheFenceAgain and 2 others like this
>> Simulated hairline.

#15 HIS - Ed

HIS - Ed

HIS Staff

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:36 PM

Brilliant!!  Many thanks for that outstanding affirmation of what SMP can do.

#16 the bald ego

the bald ego

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:24 PM

OK, here I am today – nine days after #3. Any unevenness in the pic is only due to shadows, lighting, or camera quality.

From my gray-haired Norwood 7 of two months ago, to this result today, is nothing short of amazing.

Feel free to zoom in close!

a14601f28db60c3587d40ce4608f332c.jpg
  • WestSide and HIS - Ed like this
>> Simulated hairline.

#17 the bald ego

the bald ego

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:58 PM

f381fd64db5929e1b8ae2b67ba68a9f2.jpg
  • HIS - Ed and gainz like this
>> Simulated hairline.

#18 HIS - Ed

HIS - Ed

HIS Staff

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 30 August 2016 - 11:46 PM

I would like to say I want to look like that when I am 62... but I already look older with more than a decade to spare!

• the bald ego likes this

#19 JazzHead

JazzHead

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 31 August 2016 - 12:33 AM

Looking very dapper!

#20 the bald ego