Sign in to follow this  
willgreen

Some thoughts

Here are some thoughts from this weeks roller coaster. A few days ago it eventually happened. A colleague asked me why I shaved my head as it appeared I had hair. I said I liked the look and she dropped it. I was on cloud nine. Thought at last after six sessions my smp was clear. I can also see it better now in mirrors and was v happy with how it appeared. Then last night at a party someone made a joke about how I was jealous of another guy as he had hair. Lex Luther remarks started and so did endless bald jokes. I feel deflated again. I Know I have reached the treatments limits. I can't get anymore so I have to accept it and move on. It's upsetting to think people are so ignorant they can't see the difference between my shaved head and a Norwood seven after so much money being spent but I guess people really do just think of shaved as bald and that u have lost your hair. Do this treatment. But for you!! Nobody else notices and will continue to call u bald. This has just been my experience.

Here are some thoughts from this weeks roller coaster. A few days ago it eventually happened. A colleague asked me why I shaved my head as it appeared I had hair. I said I liked the look and she dropped it. I was on cloud nine. Thought at last after six sessions my smp was clear. I can also see it better now in mirrors and was v happy with how it appeared. Then last night at a party someone made a joke about how I was jealous of another guy as he had hair. Lex Luther remarks started and so did endless bald jokes. I feel deflated again. I Know I have reached the treatments limits. I can't get anymore so I have to accept it and move on. It's upsetting to think people are so ignorant they can't see the difference between my shaved head and a Norwood seven after so much money being spent but I guess people really do just think of shaved as bald and that u have lost your hair. Do this treatment. But for you!! Nobody else notices and will continue to call u bald. This has just been my experience.

Will, there is nothing wrong with your head!!  You just need to start going to different parties... they sound like a shower of complete and utter XXXX's (insert abusive group term of choice).

All the best mate. Keep your chin up.

Look. I know y guys think I'm being over sensitive. But starting to lose your hair at 16 is no joke. It's very traumatic. It leaves scars and makes you sensitive. It's all well and good saying man up but actually it's hard to be confident when strangers and one ur two people you work with are always on your case about it. I'm not saying smp hasn't helped me. It really has. In fact I think I look pretty good now with it. (Except in iPhone photos where it never ever shows ) nobody has ever called me out on it or noticed. I just wish baldness wasn't such a joke to everyone. I don't make jokes about people's size. Why is ut ok to comment in people's hair or lack of. It's just very very frustrating.

Most know the difference but they still use the same word to describe bald or shaved head, others are taking a dig at you for having a full head of hair shaved down when they might be conscious about their receeding hairline. After SMP i have been pretty shocked by how many of my freinds bang on about going bald when they have a full head of hair along with the good car or job.

I don't agree most know the difference. People are very ignorant and many can not identify any difference between me and a norwood seven shaved to the bone without smp. I have had the treatment in a very visible condition for at least six months and I have had two comments suggesting they could see hair and why I shaved it. 90% of the other comments were about how I had no hair, when I lost my hair etc

I don't agree most know the difference. People are very ignorant and many can not identify any difference between me and a norwood seven shaved to the bone without smp. I have had the treatment in a very visible condition for at least six months and I have had two comments suggesting they could see hair and why I shaved it. 90% of the other comments were about how I had no hair, when I lost my hair etc

I absolutely hear what you are saying WIll, I lost mine all in a hurry at 17. It was devastating and took a long long time to come to terms with. I was probably in my mid-twenties before I shed the final skin and got on with my life. You will get there and I promise that when you do you will be mentally stronger than your peers... who in due course will have to deal with their own hair loss. For them it will come at an age when their middle is going flabby and their job has become stale and uninspiring. Believe me, in hindsight, I would not change a thing.

I'm about to post a thread with a positive experience. Check it out.

Well now I just got a comment from a coworker. I met he and his mother out walking yesterday. His exact words were "my mum thought u were bald and I was like what the fuck mum" what the hell tgat means I have no idea. I'm totally beyond confused about what people see anymore.

Well now I just got a comment from a coworker. I met he and his mother out walking yesterday. His exact words were "my mum thought u were bald and I was like what the fuck mum" what the hell tgat means I have no idea. I'm totally beyond confused about what people see anymore.

You've got to stop worrying about what others think.  As you said. This treatment is for YOU.  When you wake up and look in the mirror in the morning and like what you see that gives you the confidence to go tackle the day.

I kinda agree with "willgreen" and his points

To not get comments on the regular...whether at work or in public/parties, etc...you have to "own your new look"...if that makes sense

You gotta kinda have this cocky badass demeanor about yourself...or else people will talk $hit regularly

And who wants that almost everyday at your own workplace??;S

Id put an end to that real quick...in my own way...but that's just me

And even if they do still talk $hit...it definitely wont be done in front of you, ha

They'll have to whisper...when you leave the room...like a bunch of lil girls, ha

Id like to see someone talk $hit when you look like this...

(Miguel Cotto)

Interested to know how u put an end to it? Problem is I can't put an end to it as I simply don't feel confident in myself. I don't think I ever will. I hoped smp would end the insecurity caused by my hair loss but I don't think it will. I've exhausted every possible avenue to deal with the issue. I officially give up. Maybe im destined to feel shit about my physical appearance for the rest of my life. If there was any way to get my hair back I would do it but there isn't. This is the best solution available. I get that. It's just not good enough for me.

Interested to know how u put an end to it? Problem is I can't put an end to it as I simply don't feel confident in myself.

Actually, I can relate to you. It was that traumatic for me, also. I didn't look at mirrors, I didn't go on dates, I stayed away from cameras. Had constant anxiety; rarely smiled.

A few things helped:

1. Upgrade your overall appearance; work out, get new clothes, whiten your teeth, etc., etc. Don't reinforce your negative thoughts by letting yourself fall apart.

2. Laugh when it hurts. When people would make comments or jokes about my baldness, I eventually learned to laugh with them. It was a fake laugh at first, but it really helped me to quit reacting in a habitual insecure way. And when people saw that it quit being a "hot button" for me, they quit making the jokes. This really helped me to lighten up a lot about my insecurities.

3. Get older. As you age, the playing field gets more level. Your peer group starts dealing with their own aging issues (whether that be baldness, weight gain, wrinkles, graying, disease, general midlife dissatisfaction, etc.). Time will be your very best friend.

4. Think bigger. People worry more about smaller issues when they're bored. So take on more important issues, and you will gain a bigger context of yourself. The adage "an idle mind is the devil's workshop" couldn't be more true. Dream up some great new shit to do with your life. This worked for me: At 40 years old, I went penniless to Latin America and did 10 years of volunteer work. Helping others and making a difference definitely got me out of my head, and made me a new man. Now I take on new projects and take risks in life with ease and confidence. Baldness is no longer my pivotal point.

Good luck to you, man. I know exactly how you feel.

Remember, it's not the beginning or even the middle of a race that counts. It's all about how you finish. You'll do great; you've already started taking the right steps.