Sign in to follow this  
Jonny3

SMP 'reduction'...anyone ever tried it?

Hi all,

I wore a hair system for about two years. The final year was a real pain in the backside, so I decided to get rid of it. Due to the fact that I didn't want to go from having a full head of hair, to being pretty bald, I decided on SMP as a temporary measure. I've now had it for about 3 years, and am very pleased with the results (especially given the extremely low maintenance when compared to a hair system), but have been thinking that, over the next few years, I will start gradually taking the hairline back, until I eventually catch up with my real hairline. The reason I am doing this is because I don't have a real issue with being bald at closer to 40, but was far more worried about it when I was in my 20's.

My question is this: Has anyone ever done this before, or know of anyone that has done something similar? I assume that it can be done using laser, but haven't had this confirmed.

Many thanks,

Jonny3

Hi all,

I wore a hair system for about two years. The final year was a real pain in the backside, so I decided to get rid of it. Due to the fact that I didn't want to go from having a full head of hair, to being pretty bald, I decided on SMP as a temporary measure. I've now had it for about 3 years, and am very pleased with the results (especially given the extremely low maintenance when compared to a hair system), but have been thinking that, over the next few years, I will start gradually taking the hairline back, until I eventually catch up with my real hairline. The reason I am doing this is because I don't have a real issue with being bald at closer to 40, but was far more worried about it when I was in my 20's.

My question is this: Has anyone ever done this before, or know of anyone that has done something similar? I assume that it can be done using laser, but haven't had this confirmed.

Many thanks,

Jonny3

Hi Jonny

It would be achievable along the lines of The Bald Ego's description... so using a laser to remove the SMP in small bands appropriate to aged receding. You would almost certainly need to get the new hairline touched up each time following laser... it is not so precise that it can leave a neat or designed hairline.

Bottom line, it is achievable but I would recommend you get in touch with the office to discuss details with a laser expert to establish exactly what would be involved. Would be great to hear back from you. 

All the best.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. Yes, the idea would be to laser and gradually recede the hairline over a number of years. I know this will probably be a pain in the bum to do, but I think I would be happier having a more receded hairline (if I decide to not completely go bald). Have you guys heard of anything like this being done in the past.

Ego: In answer to your question, I guess is partially just personal preference. Although SMP is low maintenance when compared to other products, there is still maintenance and my hair grows extremely quickly meaning that if I don't wet shave every day, the horse shoe will appear. It means that if I don't go home for a night, or don't shave for 24 hours I am very conscious and uneasy about the whole thing. Requiring touch ups every few years is also a pain and I'm currently trying to plan a free week where I can have one done. Although I am happy with my treatment, I do still get paranoid regarding people noticing, or the way it looks in different lights and in photos. Additionally, I don't currently have a girlfriend and if I eventually meet someone, the thought of telling them I've had it done is a little terrifying. All of the above contribute to the reason that I am considering going down this route.

Any feedback/comments would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jonny 3

Yes, you can recede your hairline with laser.  Like mentioned above, it may require a session after the laser to redesign the hairline, if the laser is unable to get the hairline the way it needs to be on it's own.

Here are two guys that had laser to recede their temples, and the way im reading their posts it looks like they are saying that the laser alone was all that was necessary in their situation.  You could try PM'ing them to find out for sure.

http://forum.hishairclinic.com/topic/6629-smp-laser-removal-in-toronto/?do=findComment&comment=74064

http://forum.hishairclinic.com/topic/3137-2-times-ten-plus-one/?p=52635

So yes, no problem receding your hairline.  The only issue would be that you might need to have a short session to reapply the hairline.

Hi all,

Many thanks,

Jonny3

Blimey - next we'll have turkeys voting for Christmas :)

Jonny3, it sounds like you'd feel much better if your daily routine could be made easier.

My remaining hair is like yours: fast-growing, dense, and coarse. I wet-shaved my whole head daily for years until I just quit one day, because I couldn't stand the inescapable ordeal any longer.

In preparation for SMP, I tried out an old hardly-used foil shaver that I had once bought for no reason other than to shave my beard when I was in a rush.

To my amazed relief, the shaver has surpassed my highest hopes for daily SMP grooming – I can do my whole head in less than a minute. No other shaving products are needed, and the shaver is wet/dry and rechargeable, so I can also use it in the shower or when traveling. It's not at all a chore to do it even twice a day, if needed, when going out.

You didn't say whether you'd tried a high-rated foil shaver, or not. But even if you have, maybe trying a different model could make your daily ritual far easier. It sure did for me.

For Jonny3...

Theres absolutely nothing to fear with lasering

Had it done myself along my hairline to erase and fade most of it...after a not so good hairline lowering session

So went back for another session...post lasering...and got it lowered again...turned out real good (same Tech...very good Tech...just made a mistake 1st time around) and liked it for

about 9 months?... but then wanted it more natural

Mine was just done the 1st time around too dense with the same dark shade...instead of all previous lighter shades..and then just a lil of the newer dark shade

You might not even need an SMP touch-up afterwards...cause the laser will blast pieces of ur hairline into a natural looking hairline

When you get to your desired hairline height...just have them break that hairline up randomly with the laser...small lil nibbles here and there...and let that heal for the 2 month after-period

And see how natural it looks

It can be done very easily

And in my opinion...cause I actually had it done...gives you the best natural hairline look

Cause giving a natural hairline with the needle and ink...is actually very hard...and has to be done right

Cause the hairline is the most important part of all this..whether the whole treatment looks undetectable or not

Its crazy how a good treatment can look terrible with a sharp hairline..but that's how it is

A natural hairline on a person with zero hairloss is actually REALLY weird looking when you REALLY look at it

Just look at pictures of yourself when you were a kid...jagged hairline...eventhough its "generally straight" maybe...it still has weird jagged edges/pieces taken out here and there

The laser achieves this perfectly

Jagged lil pieces blasted out

To do a jagged hairline is super hard with SMP...IMO

You get more of the perfect curved soft hairline...no jagged sharp pieces taken out

Which is fine if you like that...nothing wrong with that...you can have that look or the more jagged look...either one is fine

The jagged look can be done...just very hard...cause it would look super weird drawing a screwed up jagged hairline in white pencil at the clinic

But in my opinion...that's what looks the best

You have your nice shape of hairline that you like...but sharp jagged lil pieces taken out here and there...which adds that natural look..yet maintains a nice strong hairline shape

But that's just me

To each their own

Wish and hope everyone gets exactly or as close as possible to what they want with their personal treatment!

Cutlass post of pics of your treatment , I already asked you too on a previous topic but you ran like Forrest Gump. As I said before if your so proud of your treatment and it's good I'll be the first one to give you props.

What you're saying makes no sense at all. Lasering actually helps? Wtf lol ha come on and post pics already.