Sign in to follow this  
NickyBald

SMP and lighting??

Hi there. Just a quick introduction.

I have had SMP for about 18 months. Although i feel like it is a good solution, it can sometimes bring doubts to my mind about my overall look.

The reason for this is due to different lighting. One minute I'll look in the mirror, indoors at home in low lighting it looks perfect. The next, I'll step out the door and in natural light the SMP will look quite bad.

So to summarise. In certain lower light it looks amazing. In outdoor or strobe lighting it looks awful.

Is there a solution for this? I'll attach some pics

post-304229-0-89050600-1468399112_thumb.jpg

post-304229-0-57053600-1468399147_thumb.jpg

post-304229-0-42239200-1468399183_thumb.jpg

This is what scares me about this procedure. Seen way too many ppl look decent in some lighting and those ppl look dreadfully awful in other lighting conditions.

Smp hasn't been perfected yet imp, Majority of ppl on here are saying it's something you gotta live with it regarding the lighting and what it does to smp in certain conditions.

F that man like imagine at a wedding you look good in dim lighting then all of a sudden you go out to the main hall way on your way to the restroom and someone goes "hey man what happened to your head, you had hair one second ago inside at the dinner table" screw that one side of me is like forgot the treatment go to the gym get jacked and boom. It ain't worth getting called out. Looking like a fool with an illusion on your head.

Nicky thank you for posting those are legit concerns. Your photo looks decent in the dark but man in hard lighting like out doors and bright Lights it doesn't even loOk like you got anything done.

Hey Nicky, 

I think based on the first pic, your SMP is holding up quite nicely.  

As for the general concern if the SMP seemingly disappear under certain lighting, again, what's the real expectation here? Is the expectation that the SMP area will look like thick hair, or fuzz? 

Case in point, take a look at Matt Damon's pic below: 

attachicon.gifmatt-damon-pic-big-pictures-990976420.jpg

Dude has a full set of hair, no thinning, and yet under daylight, does it not look like he's bald/balding to you? 

Even when I first shaved my head at 20/21, I can assure you that the top of my head looks bald under the sun.  

I think realistically, if lighting is a serious concern for those considering getting SMP, and I would assume these people to be ones who have never shaved their head prior, perhaps FUE would be the ideal choice.  

Vin

Very good use of Matt Damon, this sites favourite diminutive sociopath. I commend you Vinny.

Thanks Ed, Ian looks like a million bucks in these photos. I have to say I have seen one person with smp and it was good In low light in person to me, imo in the sun it look like he had nothing at all. That's my opinion maybe it was just the work done on his head I'm not sure.

Ian's treatment looks good in those conditions. Do you know how many treatments he has had to date ? I'm sure a lot of us would like to know.

Thanks in advance

I am no photographer but I have a clear childhood memory of being overwhelmed at the brightness of the sun.  I was in my bedroom and got told off for having the light on during the day. I sat there and had a "moment" as I realised that the sun (93 million miles away as I had only recently discovered) was capable of rendering the bright light in my bedroom completely invisible. Mum must have noticed that the switch was in the on position.

Turns out being 93 million miles away from an enormous ball of nuclear fusion is close enough to cause the problems we are discussing here... which suggests it is not a problem. Just nature.

RazorEdge's point about the human eye being far more sensitive than a camera lens makes a lot of sense. it isn't that the camera lies, just that it doesn't tell the whole truth.

@RazorsEdge42 you are spot on, I've seen my smp via mirrors in sunlight or under strong artificial light and been impressed and very happy with how it looks and surprised at how visible it remains under strong light............however if I take a photo of myself in these conditions, even if I take a photo of the reflection of myself in the mirror that my eyes see using any of my devices: iphone or either of my 2 decent cameras Sony & Nikon they all fail to capture the smp well, the human eye is indeed far superior to the highest end cameras, they're great at some things but no matter the lens, resoution, filter, settings etc they cannot capture smp in strong natural/artificial light anywhere near as good as my eyes can.

They all struggle with the light levels & reflection on the scalp and as a result the smp is almost non existent (in the photos), this is obviously a problem if having your photo taken under strong light but in real life when others see you under the exact same strong light situation(s) through their eyes and not a camera the hairline/smp will be visible.

Those pics of Matt Damon show his hair is difficult to see in the light but I would bet if you were there in person seeing him in that light through your own eyes and not a picture taken from a camera his hairline would still be easily visible to the naked eye.

To minimise the 'shine' you can always buy and apply a matte lotion. I wear a #1 buzz cut (I'm pre SMP - diffuse thinner) and notice a substantial difference when I apply it, especially on a sunny day. It's expensive (I get mine from dermalogica), but it works.

Diatomaceous earth (85% silica) is the cheapest and best shine inhibitor I've found. It works much like talc but easily buffs away with no white chalky residue. It removes all shine with just trace minerals; no oils or inorganic chemicals. Get only diatomaceous earth that's labeled food-grade, not the stuff they use in pool filters.

Really good pics of Ian's SMP

Thanks Ed

I think the original poster's pics are real blurry;S

And head is not shaved down in 1st and 3rd pic

Can see his 1st pic...eventhough blurry...treatment is mismatched a lil....but in bright light....still looks normal....like all of us

You cant walk around with an umbrella over ur head allday everyday, ha, so theres a shadow over ur head??

Being in bright light makes the SMP look exactly the same as a person with hair that shaves their head...no difference whatsoever

You just might think it doesn't look like it should...cause you've never shaved ur head that close in ur life before

We ve all had hair before

That's why