Photo

Raised Scars from Hair Transplant: Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Penny2346

Penny2346

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC USA

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:54 AM

I have a long strip on the back of my head from two hair transplants I received almost 9 years ago.  I have had three sessions done so far and here are the results (before and after pictures attached).  My concerns are evident, does anybody have any advice from having a similar type of scar?  It seems to be a raised scar which is causing the pigment to not blend in as I would expect and is nowhere near what I would call satisfying.  Any advice would be most helpful since I am trying to figure out the best way to manage this moving forward.  Fraxel, scar revision, or any type of injections?  Thanks for your help!

Attached Thumbnails

• Before.jpg
  • IMG_0098 (4).JPG

#2 Rotary

Rotary

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 22 March 2016 - 01:17 AM

Fraxel and micro needling should help

#3 Beast

Beast

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:39 PM

I am in the same position, I am researching Fraxel laser treatment at the moment. its claimed to reducing scarring by 60-70 percent,

• hairhair1 likes this

#4 Trendy

Trendy

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationLondon Clinic

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:29 PM

Hi Penny2346!

Hui - your scar is very wide. I have had the same problem with my scar. I 've got the scar not by ht, but of a terrible car accident. I have lost by 2 x 6 inch skin on the top of my head (also side). Therefore, I 've got stretch scars, like you. My front scar was almost as wide as yours - by 8mm..!

Before I had made my SMP, I decided to reduce my scars. I went to a hospital. Then my scar was only 1mm wide. Therefore after my SMP, my scar is almost not to recognize  - also not from close distance!

So maybe ask your doc or go to hospital. Ask, how much you have to pay for reducing your scar and how the result will look like then..!  After that you try SMP again and then you will be much happier with the result of course. Because it is much easier to conceal a scar with only one mm, like a scar with 10 mm...!

But if you will reduce it, you need by 6 month - better one year, the redness of your scar is gone, before you start SMP again. Because the scar may not be red for SMP.

look at my 3rd picture above. There you can see my small scar after surgery. Only one mm...!

http://forum.hishair...mp-with-photos/

What ever you will do, I wish you all the best!  good luck ! ;)

#5 Penny2346

Penny2346

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC USA

Posted 22 March 2016 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for your feedback. I was actually informed about scar revisioning as an option but the idea of going a year without SMP and exposing my scar is a scary thought. Maybe when I was wearing it would have been a good option but hard to justify now.

I am thinking Fraxel is the best option but are there any other non surgical procedures which can be of help?

#6 Beast

Beast

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:45 PM

There are two types of Fraxel - repair and restore and they are quite different,  the repair laser is more intense and is usually a 1 shot deal, the restore laser is milder but requires 4-8 treatments. But which laser to use.

You need a good clinic that knows their stuff. 

#7 TDstrip

TDstrip

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:02 PM

Penny- that's a wide scar dude. It looks a lot better but you prob need another session.

Couple tips. Shave everything from the bottom to the smp outline (slightly above the scar). Don't go too high or you'll see contrast. Let the hair above blend in to the top of the smp outline. Concealer goes real nice over the dark parts btw and takes like 20 seconds to apply. Concealer won't do anything to the whiter areas.

#8 Beast

Beast

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 March 2016 - 11:12 AM

More on Fraxel ...the two types Repair is a laser using Co2 as its exciter the other uses xxxxx as its exciter, the two laser produce different laser wavelengths which work differently on the damage.

• Non-ablative
    • Fraxel re:fine® treatment—for prevention and maintenance
    • Fraxel 1550 treatment—for mild to severe skin damage
    • Fraxel 1927 treatment—for mild to severe skin damage

As non-ablative laser treatments, Fraxel non-ablative treatments can improve mild to moderate skin damage with little to no downtime.

• Ablative
    • Fraxel re:pair® SST treatment—for the correction of moderate-severe photoaging, usually in a single treatment

On the official Fraxel site there is a example picture of a facial scar repaired using the 1550 nM wavlenght laser, its a good repair so it would seem the 1550 laser is the one you want for scar repair.

Beware clinics who don't have this 1550 laser and try to sell you a treatment using the other laser, Its best if you can find a clinic that offers a selection of treatments using different equipment. Hence they have no bias in the equipment used for your treatment. 

I am not a expert, this is stuff I have lifted from my own research.

• HIS - Ed likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users