• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jgq85

jgq85

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:39 PM

I've been thinking about shaving my head to #1 or #0 and looking for a way to conceal my scar. 

dermatch sometimes works over the scar but doesn't stay on too well.

I'm wondering if spirit gum or skin-safe glue that could stick on the scar, and applying some toppik or something on top of it, or some kind of granular material (like pepper?) over it, if it could end up looking more natural and concealed. 

Or apply some skin-safe glue and then makeup on top of it that matches the scalp? 

or would this kind of concealer work on a transplant scar?

I'm thinking get a spray tan with head shaved, and then use similar color to cover the scar:

http://www.amazon.co...=scar concealer

• HIS - Ed likes this

#2 JurgenKloppSaviour

JurgenKloppSaviour

Regular Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:47 PM

"Boo Boo" cover up? LOL...I wonder how long their marketing team took to come up with that name.  IMHO, I'm not sure whether using glue is the safest option and I think if you were to attach items on top, in order to stick on, you might be paranoid throughout the day incase your head rubs against the back of your chair etc. I'm also not sure of the long term effects with colouring in the skin when using those items i.e. would they start to darken the scar even further? I'm assuming you haven't consulted with HIS to seek treatment yet?

#3 jgq85

jgq85

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:46 PM

Well I got low quality makeup to cover my scar before and blend in with the rest of my scalp, after I shaved bald with a razor. 

But the makeup would rub off easily. 

That's why I'm curious as to whether there's some type of adhesive that might work better if applied to the scar first, then makeup on top of it. 

#4 HIS - Ed

HIS - Ed

HIS Staff

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:47 AM

Hi jgq85

Sounds like you are truly testing your alternatives... I for one applaud the ingenuity and determination to find a better solution. No idea whether trying to stick down concealer is a good idea but completely understand the desire.

I recommend you search for a member called Hating Hats, if you haven't already discovered him. He is our tame biomedical engineer who has written some superb posts about camouflaging scars... he might come on to offer comment on your ideas but you could try sending him a PM and asking him directly.

Essentially a scar is virtually impossible to cover 100%. But 80 to 90% is expected and, as you can imagine, makes a profound difference. I am sure plenty of clients still use a modest amount of make-up or similar (there are probably plenty like you getting very creative) to bolster their confidence... and of course do not have the same anxiety levels about getting spotted if it should get rubbed off.

All the best

Ed

#5 TDstrip

TDstrip

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 February 2016 - 12:04 AM

Jg-

First of all- Leave the world of Toppik and concealer. That's a recipe for misery. Why not have fraxel and then smp into the scar?

I've had two sessions and the scar is 70-75% improved...nobody has said a word...except for the people I told (who btw didn't know I had a scar).They were just like "oh, yeah I guess I can kinda see a little line."

I have hair on the top too. So if you're going to buzz your head all over, literally no one is going to think "transplant" even if they do get a whiff of the scar.
  • HIS - Ed likes this

#6 hairhair1

hairhair1

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:28 AM

A member from here posted an interesting product that could work for you while you're waiting to get smp. Its called buzzcut and it claim to be waterproof. Let me know if you try it, im intetested as well. w w w .buybuzzcut. c o m

#7 fedebold

fedebold

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationURUGUAY

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:07 AM

Fraxel and smp and/or fue.

#8 jgq85

jgq85

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 01:04 AM

Jg-

First of all- Leave the world of Toppik and concealer. That's a recipe for misery. Why not have fraxel and then smp into the scar?

I've had two sessions and the scar is 70-75% improved...nobody has said a word...except for the people I told (who btw didn't know I had a scar).They were just like "oh, yeah I guess I can kinda see a little line."

I have hair on the top too. So if you're going to buzz your head all over, literally no one is going to think "transplant" even if they do get a whiff of the scar.

Sorry everyone I totally forgot I posted this and didn't have alerts on. 

Thanks so much for the feedback. I know my question was silly, but yeah, it seems even sillier that I still use Toppik. It makes me feel cursed cause of the messiness.  

Hishair1, this product looks very interesting. I wonder if it will cover the scar? 

When I reach out to clinics to see if they can help, they never get back to me. I have like $5,000 to spend on repairs I've saved up, so I just want to make sure I get somebody who cares. 

I am in the DFW / TX area if anyone has a recommendation!

• HIS - Ed likes this

#9 hairhair1

hairhair1

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 02:48 AM

Hishair1, this product looks very interesting. I wonder if it will cover the scar? 
!

I'm sure it could work! Please, if you try it keep me posted cause im very interested as well!

#10 jgq85

jgq85

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 04:46 AM

I'm sure it could work! Please, if you try it keep me posted cause im very interested as well!

I've put in an order for the dark brown today and will post. Probably within the next 1 - 2 months. 

Not sure when it will arrive, and not sure when exactly I will shave my head. 

#11 jgq85

jgq85

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:08 PM

Well I got the buzz cut product, shaved my head. Unfortunately I try applying the bonding and then spraying the fibers from the spray bottle. 

The fibers just don't seem to apply, it's very hard to aim it right.

Have to hold away from the head and let them "fall" onto the scalp. Unfortunately they just seem to "fall" all over the bathrub, sink and toilet, creating a huge mess. 

I'm not just left with experimenting with the "bonding glue" or "The base" and trying to apply on top of that some dermatch to get the whiteness of the scar covered. 

#12 jgq85

jgq85

• HIS Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 02:10 PM

Here's a quick job I tried with the BuzzCut bond combined with patting dermatch on top of it:

https://i.sli.mg/GfTVYU.png

GfTVYU.png

#13 hairhair1

hairhair1

Super Poster

• HIS Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for the update! For the buzzcut, you should try to put some fibers on your fingers, then apply it on your scar! Just my 2cents. From the pics u posted its a great improvement!
  • HIS - Ed likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users